Hand Attack Power + Martial Arts

Uthanar

Re: Hand Attack Power + Martial Arts

Have a player who has purchased Hand Attack Multipower and a Defensive Strike Martial Art. Can the player apply the benefits of the Defensive Strike to all uses of their MPP?

Thanks for replies.

Now I don't know 6th all that well, but in fifth you did not buy weapon elements for attacks you have purchased - it is assumed. So going by that, yeah, you can.

To be honest I've been doing that for martial artist since 4th ed.

Now I don't know 6th all that well, but in fifth you did not buy weapon elements for attacks you have purchased - it is assumed. So going by that, yeah, you can.

To be honest I've been doing that for martial artist since 4th ed.

You're confusing Weapon Elements with Weapon Familiarity.

In general, damage from a HA can be added to MA attacks that do normal damage. The math get's a bit tricky once we are talking about an advantaged HA...

However...

What is the SFX of the Hand Attack MP? What is the character MA style and the SFX of the Defensive Strike? That may help us determine if it is compatible with the SFX of the characters Martial Arts. A +4d6 HA defined as having an iron hard fist will not add to the damage of a Defensive Strike defined as some sort of kick. Similarly, a character with a steel toed boot hand attack gets no benefit to a martial arts maneuver defined as a head butt.

Weapons generally require an appropriate Weapon Element be purchased for the characters martial arts, which depending on style and GM preference may not even be possible.

Karate, for example, has many weapon elements. Wrestling does not.. well, unless it's Pro Wrestling ;)

You're confusing Weapon Elements with Weapon Familiarity.

Wow color me embarrassed - I was sure that was a rule, but I checked the rulebooks and 5th and 4th UMA and Ninja hero and didn't find it. House rule so ingrained that I though it official.

However with the fact some martial arts get a free element if that style is designed with that weapon in mind (fencing for example) tended to support the way we approached it - 1) Free weapon familiarity with purchased attacks, 2) free W element with MA designed with that element in mind led to 3) if the martial art is designed for a purchased power (or multipower) it had free Weapon element for that power. If you have someone with a flame blast and the ranged MA is for his flame blast, then that is the weapon it was designed for. Although I can see a multipower pushing it - but we let that slide in our games.

In general, damage from a HA can be added to MA attacks that do normal damage. The math get's a bit tricky once we are talking about an advantaged HA...

However...

What is the SFX of the Hand Attack MP? What is the character MA style and the SFX of the Defensive Strike? That may help us determine if it is compatible with the SFX of the characters Martial Arts. A +4d6 HA defined as having an iron hard fist will not add to the damage of a Defensive Strike defined as some sort of kick. Similarly, a character with a steel toed boot hand attack gets no benefit to a martial arts maneuver defined as a head butt.

Weapons generally require an appropriate Weapon Element be purchased for the characters martial arts, which depending on style and GM preference may not even be possible.

Karate, for example, has many weapon elements. Wrestling does not.. well, unless it's Pro Wrestling ;)

One of the few things I genuinely like more in 6th is the care they took in sorting out that adding damage mess. It is much easier to deal with than ever before even with advantaged attacks

HSMA 6E 80 has a Ranged Martial Arts called "Enerjusu". It's desinged to add uses(and damage) to Blasts. For the purpose of weapon elements' date=' all Blasts are considered one (the free) weapon Element.[/quote']

Cool.

Had a character under 5th that had a fire based multipower and a martial arts with it - one of the maneuvers was disarm, defined as heating up the weapon too hot to hold. If they won the strength roll they toughed it out. :) Having a ranged throw defined as a concussive blast worked really well too.

As for the character she is a descendant of Libertas, specifically from Columbia. She is a Martial Artist character who gets most of her power through a MPP signifying her divine power. The daughters of Columbia defended the nation in times past under the moniker of Lady Liberty. The Statue of Liberty was commissioned due to Lady Liberty's actions. In World War II the previous Lady Liberty died with only a male child to follow in her footsteps. Because of her early and unexpected death, and no daughter for the powers to pass on to the line was interrupted. Her son also had a son, and he had a daughter. Two generations removed from the last bearer of the mantle, Lady Liberty has no idea of the nature of her abilities, but has come to find that the mythological figure of Lady Liberty was far more than just stories.

Thanks for replies so far.

Cool.

Had a character under 5th that had a fire based multipower and a martial arts with it - one of the maneuvers was disarm, defined as heating up the weapon too hot to hold. If they won the strength roll they toughed it out. :) Having a ranged throw defined as a concussive blast worked really well too.

Compared to normal Martial Arts, Ranged is very limited:

You only have Disarm, Strike and Throw bases.

You can't make Flash, NDD or Killing Strikes.

Unless the GM allows you to mix Normal and Ranged Martial Arts, you can't even put a Dodge into it.

HSMA 6E 80 has a Ranged Martial Arts called "Enerjusu". It's desinged to add uses(and damage) to Blasts. For the purpose of weapon elements' date=' all Blasts are considered one (the free) weapon Element.[/quote']

As the person who originaly created "Enerjusu" (under the name Energy Blast Combat Art in Digital Hero), I built it as "Weapion Element: One Power (free)", but did say in the text that a kind GM can define "One Power" as a Multipower. One day I'll buy HERO System Martial Arts book and see how Steve Long improved my baby (along with my original Kenjustu arts, and if published, my version of "VIPER Combat Arts").

Of course, if anyone can send me a copy of the above styles as thay appear in HSMA, it would be aprecated.

Hmm....I could print those pages off the PDF I suppose and then leave them on telephone poles in Milwaukee since I'm up there every other day practically. However I'll see if I can figure out how to get it to just export a page and then set it up as an attachment, heh.

~Rex

As for the character she is a descendant of Libertas' date=' specifically from Columbia. She is a Martial Artist character who gets most of her power through a MPP signifying her divine power.[/quote']

Ok, so we got a demigod martial artist.

If not, well... what is the special effect of the specific HA in the MP that the player wishes to combine with Defensive Strike?

Can you post the build of that power?

What martial arts does the character practice and what is the SFX of their Defensive Strike? Of course, this may or may not end up being relevant.

If the HA is just a representation of divine strength or holy energy or some such, it will probably combine just fine with most martial maneuvers.