Psionic Centaur...needing a racial name

mayapuppies

Hello all,

I'm trying to come up with an interesting and "original" name for a race of centaurs that lean towards psionic abilities.

In this world I do have centaurs, which I call 'centaurs' (insanely original, I know). They have a sub species that are less healthy but have higher EGO and MCV, naturally and I am trying to come up with a name for them that doesn't stick to D&D schtik of: Deep Centaurs or Mountain Centaurs or Psionic Centaurs, etc.

Any help?

Re: Psionic Centaur...needing a racial name

Why not name them after Chiron? He was an intelligent, wise and noble centaur with a different lineage to the other 'wild' centaurs.

Or you could call them Kinnaras. The Kinnaras are beings from Indian mythology, a supernatural tribe sometimes depicted as half-man half-horse.

Must spread around, yadda yadda, can someone hit him with the rep stick?

Why not name them after Chiron? He was an intelligent, wise and noble centaur with a different lineage to the other 'wild' centaurs.

Or you could call them Kinnaras. The Kinnaras are beings from Indian mythology, a supernatural tribe sometimes depicted as half-man half-horse.

Centaurs have generally represented barbarism or mankind's baser urges in mythology. They are generally portrayed as wild, untamable, and generally unpredictable. So I'm interested to know how centaurs fit into you milieu and how the psychic ones fit in with the others. Are they shunned or avoided because their abilities make them more inclined to be civilized? Or are they actually just as wild and even more dangerous because of their capabilities?

At any rate the full term for centaur is "hippocentaur", hippo meaning horse, to distinguish it from other types of hybrids. The term for intellect in Greek is "nous", and the Titan of intellect is Koios, perhaps you could work those terms in somehow. If I go a bit further afield, the term for emotion is "thym-", so maybe your mutant hybrids could be called "centhymes", which sounds better if you pronounce it with a hard t and not a th.

I AM MENTAUR' date=' THE MIND, uh, wait, no... "Mind Taker" is already taken, let's see here... ;)[/quote']

Do NOT let your Mentaur drink Diet Coke. The humor value is not worth a psionic centaur being enraged over the liquid spewing forcefully from his nose.

• 2 weeks later...