how much weight can a floor support

ayinde

Re: how much weight can a floor support

I have not seen an existing rule, though there may be one in The Ultimate Brick.

I have my own HOUSE RULES for this though:

Basically, 100kg of weight does 2DC of normal damage (2D6N) to a surface at any given time. In general, with normal wear and tear, this is treated as a Standard Effect, so most people do between 1 and 2 Body to any surface they are walking on at any given time. For every doubling of weight add +1D6 (+1DC) normal damage. (200kg = 3D6N, 400kg = 4D6N etc).

For the most part, people of normal weight do not do damage to the surface they are standing on. Most wooden floors should have a Defense of 2 or 3 and this will be sufficient for normal activity. A 100kg person will do 2 Body as a Standard Effect to any surface they are standing on. Most surfaces designed for human traffic will sustain them. The only time we should worry about rolling this damage is during times of extreme activity, running, jumping, tubling, fighting etc can do full damage to the surface, thus a 100kg person could potentially do 4 body to a wooden floor, meaning sometimes, they may crack a floor board or put their foot through a thin part of the floor during a fight. It won't happen often. However heavy characters...400kg or heavier are very likely to put their feet through wood. Doing 4D6N damage achieving 5 or 6 Body on a roll will leave holes all over the battlefield.

Keep in mind that most office buildings have concrete floors, which depending on the thickness should have a Defense between 4 and 6, so most characters, even heavy ones won't be putting their feet through the floors. Where rules like these will come into play most often are the rooftops of normal houses, places where the floors are rotting away or are on fire and low on Body. Thin and precarious wooden and rope bridges where one wants to step lightly or the 100+ foot fall into the rocky, alligator infested river below awaits....

Don't forget to add velocity damage to characters who fall onto a surface. Enough velocity damage will allow a character to smash through several floors before stopping. Move through damage is applicable in these cases (on the falling character as well as the surface)

I think there are possible rules in the books, but one simple rule we used was that you can figure out the Strength it takes to lift the person, and figure out if that could cause damage to the floor's defense.

edit: NuSoardGraphite had more details of similar idea.

So' date=' what's the DEF of that floor? Most floors can take most of that without a noticeable sign.[/quote']

I mention in my post that most wooden floors should be between Defense 2 and 4 (DEF 3 around average). They have 4-8 Body as well (depending on thickness, type of wood etc) per hex or meter, so even if a 100kg character manages to do 1 or 2 Body to the floor they are standing on, they will crack it, but won't break through right away.

Concrete has Defense 4-6. Steel has Defense 6-8 etc.

Characters walking carefully could "Pull their Step" like Pulling a Punch. Make a Dex roll at -1 for every 2D6N damage. If the roll succeeds, they do half Body damage to the surface they are walking on. On a critical success, they do 0 Body damage. This could be used for characters like Ninjas who walk on fragile surfaces without breaking them.

APG I 176 has a Rule for "Leaving Footprints in concrete", using the Crushing Rules (6E2 125). But it also says most GM don't need to bother.

Regarding the stability of a floor, take a look at the list on 6E2 171. It has rules for the durability of Walls, would propably use the same values for floors.

Regarding the durability rules' date=' remember that walls aren't designed to support foot traffic but floors are. I'd give the floor an additional +2 or more rPD for free for the purpose of supporting weight.[/quote']

Wooden walls have a PD of 4, so they can problemlessly stop a 2d6 normal body attack. You could of course asume that floors are always made of concrete (or similary hard material) giving it 6-8 PD enough to hold something of up to 400 Kilgoramm on a human feet sized surface.

I have not seen an existing rule, though there may be one in The Ultimate Brick.

I have my own HOUSE RULES for this though:

Basically, 100kg of weight does 2DC of normal damage (2D6N) to a surface at any given time. In general, with normal wear and tear, this is treated as a Standard Effect, so most people do between 1 and 2 Body to any surface they are walking on at any given time. For every doubling of weight add +1D6 (+1DC) normal damage. (200kg = 3D6N, 400kg = 4D6N etc).

For the most part, people of normal weight do not do damage to the surface they are standing on. Most wooden floors should have a Defense of 2 or 3 and this will be sufficient for normal activity. A 100kg person will do 2 Body as a Standard Effect to any surface they are standing on. Most surfaces designed for human traffic will sustain them. The only time we should worry about rolling this damage is during times of extreme activity, running, jumping, tubling, fighting etc can do full damage to the surface, thus a 100kg person could potentially do 4 body to a wooden floor, meaning sometimes, they may crack a floor board or put their foot through a thin part of the floor during a fight. It won't happen often. However heavy characters...400kg or heavier are very likely to put their feet through wood. Doing 4D6N damage achieving 5 or 6 Body on a roll will leave holes all over the battlefield.

Keep in mind that most office buildings have concrete floors, which depending on the thickness should have a Defense between 4 and 6, so most characters, even heavy ones won't be putting their feet through the floors. Where rules like these will come into play most often are the rooftops of normal houses, places where the floors are rotting away or are on fire and low on Body. Thin and precarious wooden and rope bridges where one wants to step lightly or the 100+ foot fall into the rocky, alligator infested river below awaits....

Don't forget to add velocity damage to characters who fall onto a surface. Enough velocity damage will allow a character to smash through several floors before stopping. Move through damage is applicable in these cases (on the falling character as well as the surface)

I'm stealing this for my game. :)

Hey thanks for the advice ive always not liked density increase powers seemed to have no mechanical down side so I'm going to try this house rule see if it feels more balanced to me thanks again for the help

Yeah, the downside of Density Increase is something the GM has to be on his toes about, it's not "mechanically" built in to the system unless you adopt an optional rule like the one I propose above.

Yeah' date=' the downside of Density Increase is something the GM has to be on his toes about, it's not "mechanically" built in to the system unless you adopt an optional rule like the one I propose above.[/quote']

There is a small mechanical penalty. The point at witch the "0 STR" rule is valid goes up by 5 STR per level (so even with your extra STR, you are still as vulnerable to Drain).