8-ball

Ozymandias

Just to preface, so you know where I'm coming from, I'm a long time (well, relatively long time) Mutants & Masterminds player. I wanted to get into the Hero system, but it always seemed incredibly complicated, just based on flipping through the book in the store (Mainly the fractional stuff, the number of Characteristics, and some other stuff). Well, for Christmas, one of my gaming buddies bought me the 5e rulebook, and I've been reading through it, and getting the hang of it, and a lot of what seemed complicated is beginning to make a bit of sense.

The problem is, I've still haven't totally got the hang of it. I tried converting a M&M character of mine, and perhaps it's that I'm not picking up on all the disadvantages I should have, or perhaps it's that I'm spending way to many points, on effects I should be buying at a lower rank, but the character that I'm trying to convert is a PL10 Street-level character, who should be Low-Superhuman (I'm guessing. He's not Super-powered, but he's about the level of someone like Nightwing, or other Badass-normals), but I can't get him there, point wise, and I'm still not sure If he's even up to scratch with what a Low-Superhuman should be, or if I'm overlooking important stuff.

So could I get a look over of this, for stuff I'm missing, and what seems like it could be cut.

8-ball

STR 14 (Lift 174kg, 2.5d6, 2 3/4" leap) [strength damage/leap/lift estimated based on table, as there is no spot for 14] Roll: 12-

DEX 18 (CV 6) Roll: 13-

CON 13 Roll 12-

BODY 13 Roll 12-

INT 12 Perception: 11-; Roll: 11-

EGO 14 (ECV: 5) Roll: 12-

PRE 18 (Presence Attack 4d6) Roll: 13-

COM 14 Roll: 12-

PD 13 (6r)

ED 12 (6r)

SPD 4

REC 10

END 30

STUN 33

Total Characteristic Cost 95

Skills

5 Acrobatics 14-

5 Acting 14-

3 Breakfall 13-

5 Concealment 12-

5 Conversation 14-

5 Deduction 12-

5 Demolitions 12-

5 Disguise 12-

7 Gambling (Pool, Billiards and derivative games) 13-

5 Interrogation 14-

5 Inventor 12-

5 CK: New York 14-

4 CuK: Organized Crime 13-

5 PS: Bartender 14-

5 PS: Pool 14-

3 SS: Chemistry 12-

5 Security Systems 13-

5 Seduction 14-

5 Shadowing 12-

5 Stealth 14-

5 Sleight of hand 14-

5 Streetwise 14-

5 Weaponsmith (Muscle-Powered Ranged) 12-

Talents:

Combat Luck

Resistance 2 (14- Roll to resist questioning/interrogation)

Total Talents/Perks/Skills Cost: 120

Powers:

Body Armor: Armor (3PD/3ED), OIF (-1/2), Real Armor (-1/4) 5pts

Telescoping Pool Cue: HA +4d6, No END Cost (+1/2), OAF (-1), HTH Attack (-1/2), STR Minimum 8 (-1/2) 10 pts

Grappling Cue: Swinging 10," OAF (-1) 5pts

45 Active point Multipower Billiard Balls, OAF (-1), STR Minimum 8 (-1/2) 18 Real cost

3u 8-Ball: Energy Blast 4d6, +1/2 worth of Variable Advantages (+1), 12 Charges (-1/4)

3u Cue Ball: Energy Blast 9d6, Stun Only (-0), 8 Charges (-1/2)

2u 9-Ball: Drain END 2d6, Ranged (+1/2), NND (defense is LS: No NEED to Breathe, +1/2), 4 Charges (-1)

2u 3-Ball Entangle 5d6, 4 Def, Cannot form Barriers (-1/4), 4 Charges (-1)

2u 7-Ball: Visual Flash 6d6, Explosion (+1/2), 4 Charges (-1)

2u 2-Ball: Drain CON 3d6, 4 Charges (-1), Linked to Lesser Power (-1/4); Linked to Energy Blast 3d6, Stun Only (-0), 4 Charges (-1), Linked to Greater Power (-1/2)

3u 12-Ball: Visual Darkness 4" radius, 8 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Turn Each (removed by wind or Rain -0) Range Based on STR (-1/4)

Total Power Cost: 55

Total Cost: 270 [need to trim 20 pts down]

----------------------------------------

150+ Disadvantages:

Hunted: Mafia (Mo Pow, NCI, 11-, Kill, Capture) 25 pts

DNPC: Bar Regulars (8-, Group of 8, Normal, Unaware of Secret Identity) 30 pts

Psychological Limitation: Code versus Killing (Common, total) 20 pts

Social Limitation: Secret Identity (Frequently, Major) 15 pts

Total Disadvantage Points 100 pts

------------------------------------------

Background fluff:

Oscar Haimes, a bartender at a dive bar on the lower east side, had his share of problems with drunken bruisers. He kept himself in shape, having to break up drunken brawls on semi-common occasion. He also was a master at pool, having a standing challenge for the pool players: If a pool player manages to win enough games, Oscar can be challenged to take their ego down a peg. If, by some miracle they were to win, they would get free drinks for a year, but if they lose, they have to buy the next round for their fellow drinkers. He would usually dismantle the opponent in such little time that it would barely interupt his ability to serve his customers. After Mafia Protection collecters came knocking, Oscar them up, using stuff he found around his bar, most notably, his pool cues, and billiard balls. Knowing that the mob wouldn't let up, he brought the fight to them, designing an arsenal of weapons made from hollowed out billiard balls, filled with alcohol (for explosives), and other chemicals. Masking his face with a mask made from a T-shirt, with a design of an 8-ball on it, he was ready to go. Leaving his bar to be run by a friend, he cought up with the runners of the protection racket, beating them up, and leaving them for the cops. Redesigning his costume to work better, and making more effective Billiard Ball weapons, and designing a Telescoping Pool cue. As time went on, he added to his arsenal, and, added a grappling shooter extention to his pool cue.

------------------------------------------

So, what I'm looking for in this is for him to be fairly strong, Tough, fast, Charismatic, and Mentally, above average. He'll use his Billiard balls primarily, but he'll go HTH if he's running low. Thanks for any advice you have.

Re: 8-ball

What Christopher said. You're probably buying too many skills, too, and too many skills, at too high a roll, too. Consider that you have Bartender, 14- and Pool, 14-. Unless one refers to the character's ability to run a multinational adult-dining chain and the other to the character's activities as the World Championship of Pool organiser, that's just over the top. To save points, realise that at 14-, a poolshark ought to be able to ace any everyday complementary task that he's likely to encounter around his place of employment/hustling. So, for example, he should be able to tend bar and tend a short-order kitchen.

Since you mentioned Nightwing you might find the following useful:

And here is a 250 point Batman with the serial # filed off that I built to play in a Dark Champions game a couple of years ago (I ended up going with a Black Canary knock-off instead).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]37829[/ATTACH]

Note that this is intended as a starting version of the character.

General Archetype would probably be something along the lines of weaponmaster. He's Kind-of along the lines of a Green-arrow type character, with Billiard balls replacing arrows. He uses HTH combat more than GA though, but on the whole, that's still his back up.

So, I should Bump up Characteristics, instead of Skill rolls. What about the DC of the powers? They seem a bit low, but are they significantly low?

I Built a bigger Multipower array, if I need it, but I'm a bit hesitant to do so, because I'm not sure if the Limitations I have on it are legal:

60 Active point Multipower Billiard Balls, OAF (-1), STR Minimum 7 (-1/2), and Range based on STR (-1/4) [not added to slots with no natural range] on Multipower and all slots, 22 Real cost

2u 8-Ball: Energy Blast 6d6, +1/2 worth of Variable Advantages (+1), 16 Charges (-0)

2u Cue Ball: Energy Blast 12d6, Stun Only (-0), 16 Charges (-0)

2u 9-Ball: Drain END 3d6, Ranged Based on Strength (+1/4), NND (defense is LS: No NEED to Breathe, +1/2), 6 Charges (-3/4)

1u 3-Ball: Entangle 6d6, 6 Def, Cannot form Barriers (-1/4), 4 Charges (-1)

2u 7-Ball: Visual Flash 8d6, Explosion (+1/2), 8 Charges (-1/2)

2u 2-Ball: Drain CON 3d6, Range Based on Strength (+1/4), 8 Charges (-1/2), Linked to Lesser Power (-1/4); Linked to Energy Blast 4d6, Stun Only (-0), 8 Charges (-1/2), Linked to Greater Power (-1/2)

1u 12-Ball: Visual Darkness 4" radius, 8 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Turn Each (removed by wind or Rain -0)

For a total of 34 points, As opposed to the 35 real point Multipower in my below build. The problem is I'm not sure if STR Minimum is a legitimate Limitation (Especially when combined with Range based on STR), especially since it only really effects him if he's STR drained.

As a last thought, Should I have Martial Arts on him, or is that really more for Martial Artist Characters? I like some of the Maneuvers, both flavor and Combat wise, but it requires a minimum investment of 10 points, and I'm already over. Also, How do Skill Levels, and Combat Skill Levels work? They look like they could cut down my point costs a lot, but I'm afraid of using them wrong. (The 8 or 10 levels could cut about 44 points, if my math is right, and they work like I think they do)

For a first time character in the system it's quite good.

I strongly recommend using Martial Arts for this type of character since there are Ranged Martial Art maneuvers that allow you to reduce the active points of the weapon framework without losing any effectiveness.

If you follow the link in my previous post or my SIG below you will also find my version of Green Arrow (built on 350 points) as well as starting versions of the rest of the JLA.

Hope you enjoy HERO.

You could probably cut all your billiard ball charges in half or more to save points. You're not likely to use all of any given slot unless the entire local Mafia family is after you...and in that case, you'll probably want to do a hit-and-run kind of fight anyway, giving you a good chance to get away once your ammo runs low.

Especially if you pick up some Martial Arts (and if I recall correctly, pool cues are a weapon used for Dirty Infighting), you can drop some of that ammo.

And shave some of those points from your skills. You can buy a couple of Skill Levels to bring your rolls back up, if you need to. Buy +1 with All Non-Combat for 8 pts and change your skill list to:

3 Acrobatics 13-

3 Acting 13-

3 Breakfall 13-

3 Concealment 11-

3 Conversation 13-

3 Deduction 11-

3 Demolitions 11-

3 Disguise 11-

5 Gambling (Pool, Billiards and derivative games) 12-

3 Interrogation 13-

3 Inventor 11-

4 CK: New York 13-

3 CuK: Organized Crime 12-

4 PS: Bartender 13-

4 PS: Pool 13-

2 SS: Chemistry 11-

3 Security Systems 12-

3 Seduction 13-

3 Shadowing 11-

3 Stealth 13-

3 Sleight of hand 13-

3 Streetwise 13-

3 Weaponsmith (Muscle-Powered Ranged) 11-

Unless I miscalculated something somewhere, buying that skill level and shaving these points gives you a net gain of 31 points, and incidentally, gives you a better roll for your Breakfall skill, since you never bought that up. The only drawback is that that skill level can only go on one skill at a time, so if you're standing on a tightrope and trying to set an explosive charge where it won't be noticed, you'll have to decide whether to put that extra +1 into Acrobatics, Concealment, or Demolitions. But with 31 points of saving, you can afford to pick up another skill level...

Ok, so I tried to work things around to make a 8-ball v2. I had to put a lot of limitations on the powers, but I'm pretty sure nothing is exactly illegal, as written.

8-Ball

Val Char Cost

13 STR 3

23 DEX 39

13 CON 6

13 BODY 6

13 INT 3

10 EGO 0

18 PRE 8

14 COM 2

6/9/12 PD 3

6/9/12 ED 3

5 SPD 17

9 REC 6

30 END 2

32 STUN 5

6" RUN 0

2" SWIM 0

2 1/2" LEAP 0

Characteristics Cost: 103

Cost Power

4 Body Armor: Armor (3 PD/3 ED) (9 Active Points); OIF (-1/2), Real Armor (-1/4), Activation Roll 15- (-1/4)

8 Telescopic Pool Cue: Hand-To-Hand Attack +4d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (30 Active Points); OAF (-1), Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2), STR Minimum 7 (-1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4), Required Hands One-And-A-Half-Handed (-1/4)

4 Grappling Cue: Swinging 10" (10 Active Points); OAF (-1), Locks out Telescopic Pool Cue (-1/2)

15 Billiard Balls: Multipower, 60-point reserve, (60 Active Points); Range Based On Strength (-1/4); all slots OAF (-1), STR Minimum 7 (-1/2), Restrainable (-1/2), Cannot Be Used With Rapid Fire, or Blazing Away (-1/2), Cannot Be Used With Multiple-Power Attacks (-1/4)

1u 1) 8-Ball: Energy Blast 8d6, 16 Charges (+0), Penetrating (+1/2) (60 Active Points); OAF (-1), STR Minimum 7 (-1/2), Restrainable (-1/2), Cannot Be Used With Rapid Fire, or Blazing Away (-1/2), Range Based On Strength (-1/4), Cannot Be Used With Multiple-Power Attacks (-1/4)

1u 2) Cue Ball: Energy Blast 12d6, STUN Only (+0), 16 Charges (+0) (60 Active Points); OAF (-1), STR Minimum 7 (-1/2), Restrainable (-1/2), Cannot Be Used With Rapid Fire, or Blazing Away (-1/2), Range Based On Strength (-1/4), Cannot Be Used With Multiple-Power Attacks (-1/4)

1u 3) 7-Ball: Sight Group Flash 8d6, Explosion (+1/2) (60 Active Points); OAF (-1), 8 Charges (-1/2), STR Minimum 7 (-1/2), Restrainable (-1/2), Cannot Be Used With Rapid Fire, or Blazing Away (-1/2), Range Based On Strength (-1/4), Cannot Be Used With Multiple-Power Attacks (-1/4)

1u 4) 2-Ball: (Total: 57 Active Cost, 12 Real Cost) Drain BODY 3d6, Range Based On STR (+1/4) (37 Active Points); OAF (-1), 8 Charges (-1/2), STR Minimum 7(-1/2), Restrainable (-1/2), Cannot Be Used With Rapid Fire, or Blazing Away (-1/2), Linked (Energy Blast; -1/4), Cannot Be Used With Multiple-Power Attacks (-1/4) (Real Cost: 8) plus Energy Blast 4d6, STUN Only (+0) (20 Active Points); OAF (-1), Linked (Drain; -1/2), 8 Charges (-1/2), STR Minimum 7 (-1/2), Restrainable (-1/2), Cannot Be Used With Rapid Fire, or Blazing Away (-1/2), Range Based On Strength (-1/4), Cannot Be Used With Multiple-Power Attacks (-1/4) (Real Cost: 4)

1u 5) 12-Ball: Darkness to Sight Group 4" radius, 8 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Turn each (+0) (40 Active Points); OAF (-1), STR Minimum 7 (-1/2), Restrainable (-1/2), Cannot Be Used With Rapid Fire, or Blazing Away (-1/2), Range Based On Strength (-1/4), Cannot Be Used With Multiple-Power Attacks (-1/4)

1u 6) 9-Ball: Suppress END 12d6 (60 Active Points); OAF (-1), 6 Charges (-3/4), Costs Endurance (-1/2), STR Minimum 7 (-1/2), Restrainable (-1/2), Cannot Be Used With Rapid Fire, or Blazing Away (-1/2), Range Based On Strength (-1/4), Cannot Be Used With Multiple-Power Attacks (-1/4)

1u 7) 3-Ball: Entangle 6d6, 6 DEF (60 Active Points); 4 Charges (-1), OAF (-1), STR Minimum 7 (-1/2), Restrainable (-1/2), Cannot Be Used With Rapid Fire, or Blazing Away (-1/2), Range Based On Strength (-1/4), Cannot Form Barriers (-1/4), Cannot Be Used With Multiple-Power Attacks (-1/4)

Powers Cost: 38

Cost Martial Arts Maneuver

Bar Fighting

1 1) Weapon Element: Staffs

3 2) Legsweep: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, -1 DCV, Weapon +1 DC Strike, Target Falls

4 3) Martial Block: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +2 DCV, Block, Abort

4 4) Martial Strike: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +2 DCV, Weapon +2 DC Strike

Billiard Ball-Fu

4 1) Ranged Disarm: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +0 DCV, Range +0, Disarm, +3 DC to Disarm

4 2) Offensive Shot: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, -1 DCV, Range +0, Strike, +4 DC

4 3) Basic Shot: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +0 DCV, Range +2, Strike, +2 DC

Martial Arts Cost: 24

Cost Skill

3 Acrobatics 14-

3 Acting 13-

3 Breakfall 14-

3 Concealment 12-

3 Deduction 12-

3 Disguise 12-

2 Gambling (Other (General) Pool/Billiards/etc) 12-

3 Interrogation 13-

3 Inventor 12-

4 Penalty Skill Levels (Billiard Balls): +2 vs. Throwing modifiers with a tight group of attacks

0 PS: Bartender 8- [Notes: 11- Roll]

3 Security Systems 12-

3 Seduction 13-

3 Shadowing 12-

20 +2 Overall

3 Sleight Of Hand 14-

3 Stealth 14-

3 Streetwise 13-

2 Weaponsmith (Muscle-Powered Ranged) 12-

Skills Cost: 79

Cost Talent

6 Combat Luck (3 PD/3 ED)

Talents Cost: 6

Total Character Cost: 250

Pts. Disadvantage

25 Hunted: Mafia 11- (Mo Pow, NCI, Harshly Punish)

30 Dependent NPC: Bar Regulars 8- (Normal; Unaware of character's adventuring career/Secret ID; Group DNPC: x8 DNPCs)

20 Psychological Limitation: Code versus Killing (Common, Total)

10 Reputation: Mob Target, 11- (Extreme; Known Only To A Small Group)

15 Social Limitation: Secret Identity (Frequently, Major)

Disadvantage Points: 100

Base Points: 150

Experience Required: 0

Total Experience Available: 0

Experience Unspent: 0

Technically, the non breakpoint STR means the character has a 2 1/2d6 base punch. Some of the Limitations on the weapons are a little redundant/overboard. I'm not sure that STR minimum is really limiting the attacks since it will only affect their range and you're already taking Range Based on STR. OAF on the Reserve of the Multipower means the entire framework is an accessible focus. Batman's Utility Belt or Green Arrow's Quiver are usually OIF instead with some individual slots in the frameworks built with the OAF limitation. You probably want to check with your GM regarding the Penetrating attacks. That Advantage has a warning label. For non-killing attacks Armor Piercing is usually more effective. I'm also hesitant to endorse the use of the Real Weapon Limitation because it implies that the character is using standard pool balls and applying skill to achieve the stated effects (whereas the builds seem to imply 'special balls' instead).

HM

I too think that STR minimum and Real Weapon propably do not apply here. Thoses limitations are usually only for Heroic Games.

One problem might be taht you try to combine two archetypes:

The "Skill Monkey" and a "Ranged Fighter". Each of them allone would be a viable archetype, trying to put them togehter on one sheet will hardly be possible.

You should seriously scale down the Skills. Perhaps transform a few (those that aren't everyman) into 8- Rolls until you get XP and can expand them to the intended level.

Ok, so I tried to work things around to make a 8-ball v2. I had to put a lot of limitations on the powers, but I'm pretty sure nothing is exactly illegal, as written.

8-Ball

Val Char Cost

I'm sure we can get you a good lawyer if something here is illegal

13 STR 3

Might be worth the 2 more points for a 3d6 base STR damage

23 DEX 39

13 CON 6

13 BODY 6

Lots of superheroes get by with the basic 10 BOD. If you are scraping points, this is one place to cut back.

13 INT 3

10 EGO 0

In 5th edition, spending 2 pts to bring EGO up to 11 improves your Mental Combat Value and makes the point that your discipline and willpower are at least a notch above standard.

18 PRE 8

Another place where 2 more pts would help. 20 PRE gets you a 4d6 PRE attack.

14 COM 2

The value of COM is extremely dependent on who is running the game. In my experience, it's not worth much. But I've heard of games in which spending lots on COM gets you all kinds of bonuses. Talk to the person running the game.

6/9/12 PD 3

6/9/12 ED 3

5 SPD 17

Again, this varies from game to game....I like to give "trained normals" like this a SPD of 4, but for some games that's too slow to compete as a superhero.

9 REC 6

30 END 2

32 STUN 5

6" RUN 0

Some helpful hints about movement:

odd is good. You will often want to make a half move and attack/dodge/whatever. If your RUN is 5" you still have the same half move. PLUS, with a SPD of, say, 4, you still run 20" in a Turn, where a "normal" runs 12." So here's a place to shave 2 pts that probably won't hurt you.

2" SWIM 0

2 1/2" LEAP 0

Characteristics Cost: 103

Cost Power

4 Body Armor: Armor (3 PD/3 ED) (9 Active Points); OIF (-1/2), Real Armor (-1/4), Activation Roll 15- (-1/4)

8 Telescopic Pool Cue: Hand-To-Hand Attack +4d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (30 Active Points); OAF (-1), Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2), STR Minimum 7 (-1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4), Required Hands One-And-A-Half-Handed (-1/4)

Limitations like STR Min, Real Weapon, and Required Hands, are usually for heroic rather than superheroic games; talk to the guy running the game. Remember that with a Power like Hand to Hand Attack, what you're doing with a STR Min is basically subtracting that from your STR for purposes of damage, changing this from a 6 1/2 d6 attack to a 5d6 atack. In other words, rather than a Limitation, maybe you could buy a smaller Power.

You might also save points by dropping the Reduced END. I haven't run the numbers but you may have plenty of END for it.

Finally, I'll observe that this Power's damage output may be a bit low for supers....but I see it's not your main attack power anyway.

4 Grappling Cue: Swinging 10" (10 Active Points); OAF (-1), Locks out Telescopic Pool Cue (-1/2)

I'd push it up to 11" to get the benefit of the half-move. Hm, you have a grappling hook hidden in a pool cue handle? Clever.

15 Billiard Balls: Multipower, 60-point reserve, (60 Active Points); Range Based On Strength (-1/4); all slots OAF (-1), STR Minimum 7 (-1/2), Restrainable (-1/2), Cannot Be Used With Rapid Fire, or Blazing Away (-1/2), Cannot Be Used With Multiple-Power Attacks (-1/4)

I don't think STR Min is even legal on these.

1u 1) 8-Ball: Energy Blast 8d6, 16 Charges (+0), Penetrating (+1/2) (60 Active Points); OAF (-1), STR Minimum 7 (-1/2), Restrainable (-1/2), Cannot Be Used With Rapid Fire, or Blazing Away (-1/2), Range Based On Strength (-1/4), Cannot Be Used With Multiple-Power Attacks (-1/4)

1u 2) Cue Ball: Energy Blast 12d6, STUN Only (+0), 16 Charges (+0) (60 Active Points); OAF (-1), STR Minimum 7 (-1/2), Restrainable (-1/2), Cannot Be Used With Rapid Fire, or Blazing Away (-1/2), Range Based On Strength (-1/4), Cannot Be Used With Multiple-Power Attacks (-1/4)

1u 3) 7-Ball: Sight Group Flash 8d6, Explosion (+1/2) (60 Active Points); OAF (-1), 8 Charges (-1/2), STR Minimum 7 (-1/2), Restrainable (-1/2), Cannot Be Used With Rapid Fire, or Blazing Away (-1/2), Range Based On Strength (-1/4), Cannot Be Used With Multiple-Power Attacks (-1/4)

1u 4) 2-Ball: (Total: 57 Active Cost, 12 Real Cost) Drain BODY 3d6, Range Based On STR (+1/4) (37 Active Points); OAF (-1), 8 Charges (-1/2), STR Minimum 7(-1/2), Restrainable (-1/2), Cannot Be Used With Rapid Fire, or Blazing Away (-1/2), Linked (Energy Blast; -1/4), Cannot Be Used With Multiple-Power Attacks (-1/4) (Real Cost: 8) plus Energy Blast 4d6, STUN Only (+0) (20 Active Points); OAF (-1), Linked (Drain; -1/2), 8 Charges (-1/2), STR Minimum 7 (-1/2), Restrainable (-1/2), Cannot Be Used With Rapid Fire, or Blazing Away (-1/2), Range Based On Strength (-1/4), Cannot Be Used With Multiple-Power Attacks (-1/4) (Real Cost: 4)

1u 5) 12-Ball: Darkness to Sight Group 4" radius, 8 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Turn each (+0) (40 Active Points); OAF (-1), STR Minimum 7 (-1/2), Restrainable (-1/2), Cannot Be Used With Rapid Fire, or Blazing Away (-1/2), Range Based On Strength (-1/4), Cannot Be Used With Multiple-Power Attacks (-1/4)

1u 6) 9-Ball: Suppress END 12d6 (60 Active Points); OAF (-1), 6 Charges (-3/4), Costs Endurance (-1/2), STR Minimum 7 (-1/2), Restrainable (-1/2), Cannot Be Used With Rapid Fire, or Blazing Away (-1/2), Range Based On Strength (-1/4), Cannot Be Used With Multiple-Power Attacks (-1/4)

1u 7) 3-Ball: Entangle 6d6, 6 DEF (60 Active Points); 4 Charges (-1), OAF (-1), STR Minimum 7 (-1/2), Restrainable (-1/2), Cannot Be Used With Rapid Fire, or Blazing Away (-1/2), Range Based On Strength (-1/4), Cannot Form Barriers (-1/4), Cannot Be Used With Multiple-Power Attacks (-1/4)

Powers Cost: 38

FIFTY SIX?!?

This guy carries around a bag of 56 billiard balls? Really?

Lucius Alexander

I may be back later to look some more, right now the palindromedary reminds me I need to pick up a friend who needs a ride.

I too think that STR minimum and Real Weapon propably do not apply here. Thoses limitations are usually only for Heroic Games.

One problem might be taht you try to combine two archetypes:

The "Skill Monkey" and a "Ranged Fighter". Each of them allone would be a viable archetype, trying to put them togehter on one sheet will hardly be possible.

You should seriously scale down the Skills. Perhaps transform a few (those that aren't everyman) into 8- Rolls until you get XP and can expand them to the intended level.

I might drop some Skills, but I see no reason a 5th ed character can't combine a creditable skill list with the ability to hold one's own in combat. I know I've done it.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary points out that I'm running late. Gotta go.

Ok, I dropped the SPD to 4, though that may be too low (It's 250 pts, so it might be fine), I shifted around some points in Characteristics, and made the Multipower OIF, and the Slots OAF. I halved the Number of Billiard balls he carries, and made two clips. The second clip requires an Hour to reload, representing having to go back home, and refill his supply, possibly even having to craft more, which makes more sense, because he has the ability to pick more up, but only outside combat, and in combat, he might only have a couple of any one ball.

8-Ball

Val Char Cost

15 STR 5

23 DEX 39

13 CON 6

10 BODY 0

13 INT 3

11 EGO 2

20 PRE 10

14 COM 2

6/10 PD 3

6/9 ED 3

4 SPD 7

9 REC 6

30 END 2

30 STUN 5

7" RUN 2

2" SWIM 0

3" LEAP 0

Characteristics Cost: 97

Cost Power

7 Body Armor: Armor (5 PD/4 ED) (11 Active Points); OIF (-1/2), Real Armor (-1/4), Activation Roll 15- (-1/4)

8 Telescopic Pool Cue: Hand-To-Hand Attack +4d6 (20 Active Points); OAF (-1), Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2)

4 Grappling Cue: Swinging 11" (11 Active Points); OAF (-1), Locks out Telescopic Pool Cue (-1/2)

20 Billiard Balls: Multipower, 60-point reserve, (60 Active Points); OIF (-1/2), Range Based On Strength (-1/4); all slots Restrainable (-1/2), Cannot Be Used With Rapid Fire, or Blazing Away (-1/2), Cannot Be Used With Multiple-Power Attacks (-1/4)

1u 1) 8-Ball: Energy Blast 8d6, Armor Piercing (+1/2) (60 Active Points); 2 clips of 8 Charges (Increased Reloading Time: 1 Hour; -1 3/4), OAF (-1), Restrainable (-1/2), Cannot Be Used With Rapid Fire, or Blazing Away (-1/2), Range Based On Strength (-1/4), Cannot Be Used With Multiple-Power Attacks (-1/4)

1u 2) Cue Ball: Energy Blast 12d6, STUN Only (+0) (60 Active Points); 2 clips of 8 Charges (Increased Reloading Time: 1 Hour; -1 3/4), OAF (-1), Restrainable (-1/2), Cannot Be Used With Rapid Fire, or Blazing Away (-1/2), Range Based On Strength (-1/4), Cannot Be Used With Multiple-Power Attacks (-1/4)

1u 3) 7-Ball: Sight Group Flash 8d6, Explosion (+1/2) (60 Active Points); 2 clips of 4 Charges (Increased Reloading Time: 1 Hour; -2 1/4), OAF (-1), Restrainable (-1/2), Cannot Be Used With Rapid Fire, or Blazing Away (-1/2), Range Based On Strength (-1/4), Cannot Be Used With Multiple-Power Attacks (-1/4)

1u 4) 2-Ball: (Total: 57 Active Cost, 12 Real Cost) Drain BODY 3d6, Range Based On STR (+1/4) (37 Active Points); 2 clips of 4 Charges (Increased Reloading Time: 1 Hour; -2 1/4), OAF (-1), Restrainable (-1/2), Cannot Be Used With Rapid Fire, or Blazing Away (-1/2), Linked (Energy Blast; -1/4), Cannot Be Used With Multiple-Power Attacks (-1/4) (Real Cost: 8) plus Energy Blast 4d6, STUN Only (+0) (20 Active Points); 2 clips of 4 Charges (Increased Reloading Time: 1 Hour; -2 1/4), Linked (Drain; -1/2), Restrainable (-1/2), Cannot Be Used With Rapid Fire, or Blazing Away (-1/2), Range Based On Strength (-1/4), Cannot Be Used With Multiple-Power Attacks (-1/4) (Real Cost: 4)

1u 5) 12-Ball: Darkness to Sight Group 4" radius (40 Active Points); 2 clips of 4 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Turn each (Increased Reloading Time: 1 Hour; -1 3/4), OAF (-1), Restrainable (-1/2), Cannot Be Used With Rapid Fire, or Blazing Away (-1/2), Range Based On Strength (-1/4), Cannot Be Used With Multiple-Power Attacks (-1/4)

1u 6) 9-Ball: Suppress END 12d6 (60 Active Points); 2 clips of 4 Charges (Increased Reloading Time: 1 Hour; -2 1/4), OAF (-1), Costs Endurance (-1/2), Restrainable (-1/2), Cannot Be Used With Rapid Fire, or Blazing Away (-1/2), Range Based On Strength (-1/4), Cannot Be Used With Multiple-Power Attacks (-1/4)

1u 7) 3-Ball: Entangle 6d6, 6 DEF (60 Active Points); 2 clips of 3 Charges (Increased Reloading Time: 1 Hour; -2 1/2), OAF (-1), Restrainable (-1/2), Cannot Be Used With Rapid Fire, or Blazing Away (-1/2), Range Based On Strength (-1/4), Cannot Form Barriers (-1/4), Cannot Be Used With Multiple-Power Attacks (-1/4)

Powers Cost: 44

Cost Martial Arts Maneuver

Bar Fighting

1 1) Weapon Element: Staffs

3 2) Legsweep: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, -1 DCV, Weapon +1 DC Strike, Target Falls [8d6 with Pool Cue]

4 3) Martial Block: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +2 DCV, Block, Abort

4 4) Martial Strike: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +2 DCV, Weapon +2 DC Strike [9d6 with Pool Cue]

Billiard Ball-Fu

4 1) Ranged Disarm: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +0 DCV, Range +0, Disarm, +3 DC to Disarm [11d6 with 8-ball]

4 2) Offensive Shot: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, -1 DCV, Range +0, Strike, +4 DC [12d6 with 8-ball]

4 3) Basic Shot: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +0 DCV, Range +2, Strike, +2 DC [10d6 with 8-ball]

Martial Arts Cost: 24

Cost Skill

3 Acrobatics 14-

3 Acting 13-

3 Breakfall 14-

3 Concealment 12-

3 Deduction 12-

3 Disguise 12-

2 Gambling (Other (General) Pool/Billiards/etc) 12-

3 Interrogation 13-

3 Inventor 12-

4 Penalty Skill Levels (Billiard Balls): +2 vs. Throwing modifiers with a tight group of attacks

0 PS: Bartender 8- [Notes: 11- Roll]

3 Security Systems 12-

3 Seduction 13-

3 Shadowing 12-

20 +2 Overall

3 Sleight Of Hand 14-

3 Stealth 14-

3 Streetwise 13-

2 Weaponsmith (Muscle-Powered Ranged) 12-

Skills Cost: 79

Cost Talent

6 Combat Luck (3 PD/3 ED)

Talents Cost: 6

Total Character Cost: 250

Pts. Disadvantage

25 Hunted: Mafia 11- (Mo Pow, NCI, Harshly Punish)

30 Dependent NPC: Bar Regulars 8- (Normal; Unaware of character's adventuring career/Secret ID; Group DNPC: x8 DNPCs)

20 Psychological Limitation: Code versus Killing (Common, Total)

10 Reputation: Mob Target, 11- (Extreme; Known Only To A Small Group)

15 Social Limitation: Secret Identity (Frequently, Major)

Disadvantage Points: 100

Base Points: 150

Experience Required: 0

Total Experience Available: 0

Experience Unspent: 0