Champions of the Rising Sun - Japanese Super-Slangs

steriaca

Generly speaking, for thoes who know the language, what slang would you give for the flowings:

Brick...

Energy Blaster...

Mentalist...

Martial Artest...

Masked Avenger...

Gadgetear...

Someone with animal powers...

Magic user...

Hear are some that comes to mind.

Jinzo: Artificial being. Comanly used for robots and cyborgs, can also be used for clones and other geneticly created beings.

Karmin: Literly "mask", it is used for anyone without superpowers who dresses up and fights crime.

Ronin: In the case of superbeings, Ronin means a super without a team afiliation. Ronin's are usaly looked down upon in Japan (but not always).

Chojin: Literly "super person". Someone with superpowers who looks normal.

Choyo: Short for "Choyoma", it literly means "super monster". Someone with superpowers and has a frighting look OR personality.

Hirojin and Nagijin: Old terms used for Mutants, curently not considered politicly corect. Hirojin can also mean "someone from Hiroshima", and Nagijin meaning "someone from Nagisaki".

Mujin: The curent PC term for mutant, from the english word Mutant and +jin (person).

Any ideals for others?

Re: Champions of the Rising Sun - Japanies Super-Slangs

Back when GURPS Supers came out years ago, there was mention of a type of

Japanese superhero/martial artist genre, which was called chambarra. Now, I

don't know what the proper title for a character in that genre would be, but I

expect that some of the terms from other areas of Japanese action-adventure

stories would apply (like kamen or sentai, for example).

Major Tom 2009 :cool:

I just got through looking for the Romanized Japanese equivalents of some

of the terms listed in the first post, and there aren't many of them that ex-

actly translate over into Japanese. Here, however, are some of the ones

that do:

Blaster: Bura sutaa

Brick: Renga

Martial Artist: Budou

Here are some others that, while they weren't specifically mentioned, do have a

place in the list:

Agent: Eejixento

Super: Suupaa

Vigilante: Jikei danin

As for some of the other character types that were mentioned, there are some

possibilities for Japanese names for some of them.

For example, heroes and heroines whose super-identities are based upon animal

themes could be referred to as kamis, as their choice of outfit would be seen as

a symbolic representation of the animal being used as that hero or heroine's

theme (a good example of this from recent TV is the episode of Batman: The Ani-

mated Series where Batman had to go to Japan to rescue a relative of the sensei

who'd trained him; after successfully rescuing the girl and telling her to stay put --

then going off after the kidnapper -- she half-whispers "Spirit of the Bat..."). Ex-

amples of superheroic characters who'd fit in the kami mold are (of course) Bat-

man, Black Canary, Spider-Man, Wolverine, and Vixen.

Where the practicioners of the Arts Arcane are concerned, they would be referred

to as shujgenka (I think that's how it's spelled; if I'm wrong, somebody tell me

and I'll correct it), which translates into English as "magic user".

The phrase "super monster" was used earlier to describe a type of superhuman

whose appearance tends to be monstrous in nature; Ben Grimm and the Swamp

Thing definitely qualify for this label. Such characters could, alternatively, be call-

ed bakemono instead, which is the word for "monster".

Unfortunately, there don't seem to be any equivalents to the terms "Gadgeteer" or

"Mentalist" in Japanese; it's entirely possible that other words with different mean-

ings would have to be substituted in their place.

Major Tom 2009 :cool:

The term I've seen most often for mages in anime and manga is mahou tsukai, magical girls are of course mahou shoujo. People with psi powers are generally referred to by the English(ish) word "esper" esupaa.

It didn't strike me as offensive' date=' but I've come to expect typos from the thread originator. A random set of eyes, on the other hand, could easily see a reference to the "slant eyes" playground taunt that I'm sure I don't need to type out here.[/quote']

I did not mean to offend. I ment 'slang', as in words not in your normal dictnary (you know..."Webstrs"), but are used by the avrage person on the street...in refrences to supers both home and forein.

Could someone please edit the title this thread to the proper spelling of Japanese' date=' as the current spelling, intentional or not, looks pretty offensive to me and I would think others as well.[/quote']

I'm sorry to ask, but do you make it a habit to be offended? A) It was clearly a typo. B) I have never heard a racial slur that ever resembled "Japanies"; have you?

That said, lets actually get into the heat of the thread:

Generly speaking' date=' for thoes who know the language, what slang would you give for the flowings:[/quote']

I think the single best piece of advise I can give is this: "if it works for you, then that's all that matters." That is to say, if you find something that sounds like 'japanese' and works well for you and your PCs, then go with it. I wouldn't get too worried about things unless you really wanted to go forth and publish stuff. That said, lets continue on.

Jinzo: Artificial being. Comanly used for robots and cyborgs, can also be used for clones and other geneticly created beings.

人造人間 is the word you have (jinzou ninngen). It is quite often used to describe machines that appear human (Lt. Data from Star Trek, for example). Jinzou = artificial and Ninngen = Human.

Karmin: Literly "mask", it is used for anyone without superpowers who dresses up and fights crime.

仮面 is the word you have (kamen). It does literally mean "mask". I think it would work well as a descriptor for anyone wearing a mask. Also, the word マスク (mask) is also used.

Ronin: In the case of superbeings, Ronin means a super without a team afiliation. Ronin's are usaly looked down upon in Japan (but not always).

浪人 (ronin) is the word you have there. The modern usage is different from its traditional (and translated) usage. A ronin in modern Japan is a student who failed his entrance exam and thus must wait one year to retake it. It describe the student with no affiliations / connections, thus ronin. That said, it can easily recapture that old feeling. Another word with similar mining is 自警主義者 (ji kei shu gi shya) - which translates as Vigilante

Chojin: Literly "super person". Someone with superpowers who looks normal.

超人 - chou jin works well. It does mean "superhuman".

Choyo: Short for "Choyoma", it literly means "super monster". Someone with superpowers and has a frighting look OR personality.

超妖魔 is chou yo ma. Yoma is a ghost, not "monster". 化物 - bakemono is monster. Also, I don't think you need "chou" with bakemono. If it is a large monster, one could use 巨大化け物 - kyodai bakemono - enormous monster.

Hirojin and Nagijin: Old terms used for Mutants, curently not considered politicly corect. Hirojin can also mean "someone from Hiroshima", and Nagijin meaning "someone from Nagisaki".

I've never heard of such words. But if it fits the feel for you game, go with it. Same for "mujin

Blaster: Bura sutaa

ブラスター is just Japanized version of the english. It is normally the weapon, though. I'm not sure what one would call those like Johny storm. How about 撃人 (geki jin. Person who shoots). I say that but I don't get any good responses with I google it, though.

Brick: Renga

This literally means "brick." As in a brick house. How about using something like Iron Man (as in the triathlon people) but supped up: 超鉄人 (chou tetsu jin) - super iron man.

Martial Artist: Budou

This actually means Martial Arts. A generic martial artist is 武道家 (bu dou ka).

Agent: Eejixento

Super: Suupaa

Vigilante: Jikei danin

Agent:Yours is agent as in Chemical agent. A government agent is a Gメン (G men). Also, a spy, etc., is 工作員 - kou saku in.

Super: probably best left as Chojin

Vigilante: I don't know which one is more used (yours or mine). I'm not 100% sure if there is even a decernable difference in meaning. But judging from the characters, a jikei shugi shya is someone who is following a principle in resistance / vigilance. The other is a 'member' - which is taken to mean instigator of vigilance. But that may be me reading far too much into the characters.

Where the practicioners of the Arts Arcane are concerned, they would be referred

to as shujgenka (I think that's how it's spelled; if I'm wrong, somebody tell me

and I'll correct it), which translates into English as "magic user".

I'm not sure what you going for, actually. But someone who uses magic can be call a 魔法使い (ma hou tukai / ma hou dzukai). Also, the concept of individuals who normally live alone in the mountains and are often capable of doing various kinds of magic are called 仙人 - sen nin - or hermits.

Unfortunately, there don't seem to be any equivalents to the terms "Gadgeteer" or

"Mentalist" in Japanese; it's entirely possible that other words with different mean-

ings would have to be substituted in their place.

A mind reader is called a doku shin jutsu shya (読心術者). Mind Controller might be マインド・コントローラ (maindo contoro-ra) as the word for mind control is マインド・コントロール (maindo contoro-ru).

I'm not sure about the rest but I'm also quite tired now, so I'll have to try and look at it with fresh eyes later. :)

La Rose.

I'm sorry to ask, but do you make it a habit to be offended? A) It was clearly a typo. B) I have never heard a racial slur that ever resembled "Japanies"; have you?

That said, lets actually get into the heat of the thread:

I think the single best piece of advise I can give is this: "if it works for you, then that's all that matters." That is to say, if you find something that sounds like 'japanese' and works well for you and your PCs, then go with it. I wouldn't get too worried about things unless you really wanted to go forth and publish stuff. That said, lets continue on.

人造人間 is the word you have (jinzou ninngen). It is quite often used to describe machines that appear human (Lt. Data from Star Trek, for example). Jinzou = artificial and Ninngen = Human.

仮面 is the word you have (kamen). It does literally mean "mask". I think it would work well as a descriptor for anyone wearing a mask. Also, the word マスク (mask) is also used.

浪人 (ronin) is the word you have there. The modern usage is different from its traditional (and translated) usage. A ronin in modern Japan is a student who failed his entrance exam and thus must wait one year to retake it. It describe the student with no affiliations / connections, thus ronin. That said, it can easily recapture that old feeling. Another word with similar mining is 自警主義者 (ji kei shu gi shya) - which translates as Vigilante

超人 - chou jin works well. It does mean "superhuman".

超妖魔 is chou yo ma. Yoma is a ghost, not "monster". 化物 - bakemono is monster. Also, I don't think you need "chou" with bakemono. If it is a large monster, one could use 巨大化け物 - kyodai bakemono - enormous monster.

I've never heard of such words. But if it fits the feel for you game, go with it. Same for "mujin

ブラスター is just Japanized version of the english. It is normally the weapon, though. I'm not sure what one would call those like Johny storm. How about 撃人 (geki jin. Person who shoots). I say that but I don't get any good responses with I google it, though.

This literally means "brick." As in a brick house. How about using something like Iron Man (as in the triathlon people) but supped up: 超鉄人 (chou tetsu jin) - super iron man.

This actually means Martial Arts. A generic martial artist is 武道家 (bu dou ka).

Agent:Yours is agent as in Chemical agent. A government agent is a Gメン (G men). Also, a spy, etc., is 工作員 - kou saku in.

Super: probably best left as Chojin

Vigilante: I don't know which one is more used (yours or mine). I'm not 100% sure if there is even a decernable difference in meaning. But judging from the characters, a jikei shugi shya is someone who is following a principle in resistance / vigilance. The other is a 'member' - which is taken to mean instigator of vigilance. But that may be me reading far too much into the characters.

I'm not sure what you going for, actually. But someone who uses magic can be call a 魔法使い (ma hou tukai / ma hou dzukai). Also, the concept of individuals who normally live alone in the mountains and are often capable of doing various kinds of magic are called 仙人 - sen nin - or hermits.

A mind reader is called a doku shin jutsu shya (読心術者). Mind Controller might be マインド・コントローラ (maindo contoro-ra) as the word for mind control is マインド・コントロール (maindo contoro-ru).

I'm not sure about the rest but I'm also quite tired now, so I'll have to try and look at it with fresh eyes later. :)

La Rose.

When I posted the terms that I did, it was because those were the Japanese words which came

up after I'd hit the translation button; for example, the word that came up for "martial artist"

was budou, without any clarification as to whether it referred to a person or not. The same

goes for the word for "agent". Considering how hard it was in the first place to find a site that

actually lets the user find the Romanized Japanese version of a specific English word, I don't

think that I did too badly.

Major Tom 2009 :o

When I posted the terms that I did, it was because those were the Japanese words which came

up after I'd hit the translation button; for example, the word that came up for "martial artist"

was budou, without any clarification as to whether it referred to a person or not. The same

goes for the word for "agent". Considering how hard it was in the first place to find a site that

actually lets the user find the Romanized Japanese version of a specific English word, I don't

think that I did too badly.

Major Tom 2009 :o

^^ Nope, it wasn't bad at all. Indeed, after reading this I was about to post links to several online dictionaries I use but then I realized after looking at them that they all use Japanese script - not roman. All in all, none of what I said above was meant to be demean anything you or anyone else posted. I just thought I'd add in a little extra clarification or provide the actual Japanese characters if I knew them. ^^

La Rose.

A couple of terms used a lot in manga and anime: "Tantei" for a detective (non-police, usually of the thinking variety rather than the two-fisted) and "Kaitou" for a phantom thief type. Often found in the same work.