Slayer

TheNaga

I am going making a slayer who can turn into a three head wolf/dog cross. Where can I find info/stats on dogs and wolves and slayers and monster hunters for Champions? I also using this character to help me get better at making characters for Champions. Should the character know forensic medicine?

Re: Slayer

For animal stats I would consult the Hero System Bestiary. Dogs on pgs. 462-464 and wolves on pg. 494.

Slayers and monster hunters? Depends on how those terms are defined.

Forensic medicine? Depends on how you perceive their background. Forensic medicine sounds like a pretty specialized field. What justification can you give for the skill?

I am going making a slayer who can turn into a three head wolf/dog cross. Where can I find info/stats on dogs and wolves and slayers and monster hunters for Champions? I also using this character to help me get better at making characters for Champions. Should the character know forensic medicine?

Again, like any character conception ask yourself what do I think that this character could do.

Dogs and Wolves are found in the Hero System Bestiary.

Slayers... I guess you mean like Buffy the Vampire Slayer, slayer?

Buffy has

Increased Strength

Increased Toughness (extra PD/ED, Con, Body, and STUN)

Increased Agility (ie Dex and Strength)

Fast Healing (Slow Regen)

Detect Vampires as a sense

From a list like that you can build your character's abilities.

A good resource for characters from Books, Movies, Tv and Anime is http://surbrook.devermore.net/index/archive.html AKA Surbrook's stuff.

http://surbrook.devermore.net/adaptationstv/buffy/buffy.html Also a link to Buffy's character sheet.

Buffy really hasn't had a special sense to detect vampires since the original Kristy Swanson movie; she's just experienced at noticing lack of reflections, pale complexions, and dated fashion to deduce who is and isn't a vampire.

She's also demonstrated assorted strength & speed related feats like doing a standing jump (in heels!) over a tall chain-link fence and grabbing an arrow out of the air when fired at someone standing near her. Those sorts of occasional stunts might be better represented by the Power skill than paying for everything individually.

The character is an immortal hunter and slayer of evil monster, supernatural beings, and the undead. This character has the ability to detect the supernatural, see the invisible, and power and mental defense against the supernatural besides turning into the wolfdog with three heads.

I like the following that was mentioned

Increased Strength

Increased Toughness (extra PD/ED, Con, Body, and STUN)

Increased Agility (ie Dex and Strength)

Fast Healing (Slow Regen)

Buffy really hasn't had a special sense to detect vampires since the original Kristy Swanson movie; she's just experienced at noticing lack of reflections' date=' pale complexions, and dated fashion to deduce who is and isn't a vampire.[/quote']SFX of the detect. That was her explaining it, rather that just accepting it.

This raises an interesting point; the separation of what you can detect from what you can deduce from what you can detect.

Sherlock Holmes, for example, deduces things from clues that he has observed using exactly the same senses as those around him. He then applies logic and knowledge to those observations to reach conclusions. Should he have some sort of skill based retrocognition? Or is it a normal PER roll + Deduction?

What am I saying, this is Hero: either is fine, as are a long list of other possibilities BUT stylistically I like the idea of separating the 'gathering information' and 'processing information' steps, for two reasons. First I think that you get a more interesting mechanic: if you see a flashing light and you know morse code, well it might mean something very different to you than someone who does not, but you can both easily see it. Secondly I think it gives the GM more control, and the game a better feel. Rolling perception and understanding together is a throwback to the dark days of basing your perception roll on intelligence.

Damn, we are still in those dark days.

Stupid example: Super-Smart is really intelligent. 40 INT. Wow. He has a base Perception of 9+(40/5) = 17. Unfortunately he is in a Sound Field (Change environment, -5 to PER rolls: SFX full volume Slayer tracks, same modifier as for hearing a spaceship taking off) and can hardly hear a thing.

Perceptive Polly is not smart. She has an INT of 5, giving her a base Perception roll of 10-. There is nothing wrong with her hearing though, and she is not in the Sound Field.

Eric Evil is a villain who has the affectation of bouncing a rubber ball. Both SS and PP know him well. EE is outside the sound field, but approaching, bouncing his ball. Both PP and SS are expecting him and are specifically listening for the sound of a rubber ball bouncing.

To my mind it is stupid that SS still has a much better chance of hearing a ball bouncing than PP. Even standing next to Slayer's speaker stack, SS has a 12- chance of hearing a rubber ball bouncing. PP only has 10-, and I'm assuming no other modifiers, or equal modifiers.

You see, that seems silly to me.

That means that the power is built with lasting effects, which is something you can do under 'change environment'.

The example may not be the best one, but it is there for illustration: combining the ability to perceive and the ability to draw additional information from what you have perceived is a bad idea as it leads to this sort of inconsistency. We would be better served by having Perception as a separate characteristic.

I may be getting a little off topic here...

Depends entirely on how well known her activities were. In a setting where the existence of monsters is not widely known, then no reputation among the populace at large. However, she could potentially have a major reputation among those who know about the supernatural world - monsters, other hunters, magicians, and so forth. On the other hand, if she covers her tracks and changes identities periodically, she may be mostly or entirely unknown, even to those groups. Opposite end, if she turns into a wolf-creature in public, that'll get a wide reputation pretty quickly.

So pretty much, as large or small of a reputation as you want her to have.

For questions like "should she have Forensic Medicine", you've got to give us a bit more info to go on. Does it fit the concept? It could, that depends on what the details of the concept are. Is it a useful skill? Depends on the campaign. If you're a detective who has to determine when a supernatural creature is behind a killing, it's very useful. If you're hunting blatant monsters like a fiery demon who shows up in the middle of downtown, it's not so necessary.

I would like the character to be know to some about not widely know. I know the the character is widely known among hunters and slayers. I want Forensic Medicine so the character can determine when a supernatural creature or monster is behind a killing. The character does have identifiable physical characteristics which are naturally pink eyebrows and hair (I think bubblegum pink in color) and two tattoos. I want the tattoos to not take away from the character's look.

2 Positive Reputation: Long lived Slayer of Monsters (A small to medium sized group) 14-, +2/+2d6

PS Instead of paging through the book (which can be a PITA) to find stuff. I recommend that anyone who builds Hero System Characters pick up Hero Designer. It's a Java app that helps you create Hero System characters. It also makes sure that you build stuff that are legal (as long as you don't override stuff).