Secondary stats

acide_bob

I played and long run on the 5th edition. First edition I ever tried. Then the 6th came around. absolutely loved it. We've been runnin our campaign our superheroes for almost 3 years now. Our group had almost over 30 different characters in the group sometime with up to 12 of them active at the same time played by 5 players.

So we having a kind of "end of their world" event... shifting pawns around and all that....

Anyway... my question is, although i really like the 6th editions how most of the skills and powers now work with it.. i do miss al the secondary stats that were brought by Strenght Constitution and Dexterity. I was wondering if someone actualyl came witth a good system to do that with the 6th ed. Even better has someone came up with a kind of plugin for the Hero designer that could do it cause i must admit the Hero Designer have spoiled me a bit and I don,t feel like doing the manual on conversation on such a change.

any links or tips/tricks owuld be useful.

Re: Secondary stats

If you want to bring back Figured Characteristics, I'd suggest just making it campaign ground rule that the appropriate Characteristics get "free" base values equal to what the old formula would have made them. Don't know whether anyone has made a Hero Designer template that does such a thing or not...

I have only used them shortly and never was a friend of figured characteristics. When you aks about bringing them back, you propably ask about lowering the price for characteristics. Because the lower price for some things was the only real advantage they had. This is something that can be done easily and afaik with a costum template in Hero Designer.

Well, let's see...

+10 STR previously provided +2 PD (2 points), +2 REC (2 points), +5 STUN (5 points) and +4 meters leaping (+1 point). If you price STR at 2 points per +1 STR, and "No Figured STR" at a -1 limitation, that's done.

+30 CON previously provided +6 ED (6 points), +2 REC (6 points), +15 STUN (15 points) and +60 END (20 points). Price CON at 2.5 points per +1 STR, and there's a 1 point benefit for every 15 CON you buy. I could live with that slippage. No Figured CON is now worth -1.5 limitation.

+30 DEX previously provided +10 OCV (50 points), +10 DCV (50 points) and +3 SPD (30 points). That makes +1 DEX worth 6 1/3 points. Now, IMO, bonuses to DEX rolls are overpriced, as is base DEX (Initiative), making DEX overpriced at 2. Knock off 30 points and DEX is worth 5 1/3 points per +1 DEX. If we knock that back to 5 points per +1 DEX, that could be in the ballpark. DEX, no Figured, comes in at a -4 limitation. [Gee, I wonder why Hero characters never sold back DEX pre-6e...]

Maybe we can justify a discount by making DEX, OCV and DCV a "unified power", so 128 + 30 (or 104 + 30) for all the bennies is 5 (4.5) points per +1 DEX. I'd rather leave the "draining the primary drains the secondaries" model by the wayside, though, especially if it won't be uniform over all primaries.

+15 Ego previously provided +5 mOCV and +5 mDCV, for 15 points each, and +3 mental defense, so Ego should be about 3 points, with a -2 limitation for No Figured (that would be automatic in games with no mental powers, so it goes back to 1 point). If we consider this a Unified Power, that backs off to just over 2.5 per +1 EGO.

+10 BOD previously also provided +10 STUN (5 points), so that should be 1.5 points per BOD, with a -1/2 limitation for No Figured.

But if we fix the pricing so that you get what you pay for, whether you buy the stat alone, or the stat + Secondaries, do we really need the Secondaries to be Figured? Well, it gets back to the prior model, so if you wanted those as the baselines, maybe it is worthwhile.

i do miss al the secondary stats that were brought by Strenght Constitution and Dexterity.

Well, technically, they're all still there. Just have to buy them separately. You could always make a rule that the player has to buy up the formerly figured stats to a minimum of what the old figureds would have been. They could be allowded to have one of those stats be lower than the old figured amount to simulate the ability to sell down one figured stat.

But I don't see the point.

Is using the stats without having them be figured stats causing any issues? Like players neglecting to buy them up enough? Or inconsistencies across characters? Some one on one with the players could help fix those sorts of things.

Would it have been better to keep Figured and modify the costs as Hugh suggests? If Steve had done that, I imagine there would have been no need to keep the rule patch allowing you to only sell down one of them. The No Figured Limitation would have probably also gone away. At this point there's no difference at all between Figured Characteristics and what we've got now, except for having them in convenient bite-sized packages.

Back when 6e came out, I posted a PDF of stat templates somewhere -- I'll do a search and link it, unless someone else beats me to it.

I was wondering if someone actualyl came witth a good system to do that with the 6th ed. Even better has someone came up with a kind of plugin for the Hero designer that could do it cause i must admit the Hero Designer have spoiled me a bit and I don,t feel like doing the manual on conversation on such a change.

any links or tips/tricks owuld be useful.

Erm secondary stats were in 5th Edn wasnt it?

Simply use HD in 5th and fit in any changes from 6th you like.