Hunter's Eye

phoenix240

The power is for a character in a Heroic level Monster Hunting Urban fantasy game. She is exceptionally adept at spotting the little cues that give away creatures that are attempting to disguise themselves as humans, their "tells" basically. For example, she might notice that a vampire forgets to breath every now and then or the faint scent of exotic funerary spices that hangs around a mummy or a lycanthrope's unusually hirsute hands or even more exotic signs that something isn't quite human. The talent is a combination of know how and instinct with a bit of luck. I thought the most direct way to build it would be as a Detect but I can't decide which sense group to place it under since, despite the name the cues might take any form (visual, auditory, tactile, nasal, etc). Any suggestions?

Re: Hunter's Eye

That works' date=' or go with some variation of the Unusual Sense group and just let the SFX be different senses depending on what is appropriate for the narrative.[/quote']

That could be it. Every Detect needs a way to be "disabeled" naturally. Those you assing to an existing sense group get that groups weaknesses. For those you put into no Group (iIdependant senses) you have to define some way to disable them - wich can be just as easily be that it needs a combiantion fo senses.

However you mostly gave "not be supprised" examples, so how about some simple, limited Danger Sense?

Make it a detect but not a sense. That way you have to remember to look for tells, and even then it is not certain (you need to make an opposed roll, perhaps your PER v their Acting, or perhaps Conversation*).

The trouble with working out the sense group is that you actually use all of your senses PLUS knowledge. Perhaps their is a redness to the eyes, distinctive odour, a high pitched click, a telltale texture to skin, or a bitter taste to their sweat. What you need is an 'all senses' detect. If your sense itself is not supernatural, perhaps a detect is not the way to go.

So...presuming that anyone who knows what to for is able to detect Monsters, then all you really need is some PER levels with a limitation on them to reflect the specific nature of the task. PER levels can apply to all senses. Alternatively you could just make a normal PER roll and have a version of the Analyse skill (Analyse Monster Traces) or even a modified version of the Deduction skill to work out if what you saw was a vampire or just an undertaker.

Something you said made me think as well...how about luck? Buy Luck limited to 'spotting Monsters'. Whenever there is a monster about, the GM rolls your luck and, if you make it, describes some tell that gave it away.

If they are telltale signs that ANYONE could notice if they were paying attention, then it's just a Perception check, so buy one or more bonuses w/ PER limited to only notice supernatural tells.

If you have to know what to look for, a KS: Supernatural Lore or equivalent used as a complementary skill.

If it is a signature ability that works in an uncanny way, alerting you to danger that other people without the ability would not notice, its a custom Enhanced Sense.

As an aside, in the Here There Be Monsters material, we defined a couple of specific Custom Talents for the setting that fall within this area...

10 Supernatural Awareness, Discriminatory (Sense and Range are built in)

The Supernatural exists in the world of Here There Be Monsters, and some people are preternaturally sensitive to this fact even if they are otherwise normal...or perhaps have innate potential they are not tapping. Either way, such an ability is a very useful thing for a Hunter to have.

10 Alert: a character with this ability is very difficult to surprise. In any situation where they would normally be surprised due to being asleep or unaware of a foe due to some circumstance, the character gets to make a special Perception check to avoid being surprised even if their lack of awareness is caused by a previously failed Perception check. This special Alert Perception check cannot be reduced to less than a 10- roll regardless of penalties; however if it is failed the character suffers the normal outcome of being surprised with no further chances to avoid it.

Example: Sabrina has the Alertness talent; going about her business one evening she is set upon by a Vampire using supernatural abilities to blend into shadows. The GM secretly made a PER check for Sabrina which was failed miserably due to the Vampire's extremely high Concealment result. However, thanks to having the Alertness Talent Sabrina gets a special additional Perception check to not be surprised by the Vampire's assault, and this roll can't be less than 10- regardless of the steep penalties that are in effect.

The trouble with working out the sense group is that you actually use all of your senses PLUS knowledge. Perhaps their is a redness to the eyes' date=' distinctive odour, a high pitched click, a telltale texture to skin, or a bitter taste to their sweat. What you need is an 'all senses' detect. If your sense itself is not supernatural, perhaps a detect is not the way to go.[/quote']

If it's not supernatural, Detect could still just be the way to go.

You can always jsut define it as a independant sense. It get's no adders from a Sense Group for free, but also isn't affected as those senses and would work against a Desolidified being that is invsible to Sight, hearing, Smell and Taste.

This is exactly the way Danger Sense is built - a Detect that is not part of a Sense Group:

"Base ability is Detect Danger Detectable By Normal Human Senses In Combat, Including Range To Danger, Increased Arc Of Perception (360 Degrees) (total cost: 10 points),

plus

Targeting (10 Active Points); Only If Character Makes Half Roll (-1) (total cost: 5 points). Total cost: 15 points" 6E1 447.

Be not decieved....: (Total: 65 Active Cost, 35 Real Cost)

Notice these signs Discriminatory with Normal Sight, Normal Hearing, Normal Smell and Normal Touch (20 Active Points); Requires A Roll (PER roll, -1 per 5 Active Points modifier; -1), Limited Power Only to detect certain clues (clues to the presence of a monster; -1/2) (Real Cost: 8)

plus

Be always alert for them+4 PER with all Sense Groups (12 Active Points); Limited Power Only to notice the signs of a monster (-1) (Real Cost: 6)

plus

Learn what they mean Analyze: Monsters 11- (Real Cost: 3)

plus

Know what to do +2 with Tactics (4 Active Points); Limited Power Only vs monsters (-1) (Real Cost: 2)

plus

Know when to call me or others you can trustContact: Other Monster Hunters (Contact has useful Skills or resources), Organization Contact (x3) (6 Active Points) 8- (Real Cost: 6)

plus

Knowledge is Power +1 with broad group : See Notes (Real Cost: 4)

Notes: With Analyze: Monster, any KS: Monster, supernatural, or occult Lore, PS: Monster Hunter, Tactics (vs monsters) Concealment or Tracking (to find monsters) etc

plus

Replace fear with understanding +10 PRE (10 Active Points); Limited Power Defensive only (-1), Requires A Roll (Skill roll: Analyze Monster; -1/2) (Real Cost: 4)

plus

Monsters lurk in the dark. Never forget; they hide because they are afraid of US! +3/+3d6 Striking Appearance (vs. [Monsters]) (6 Active Points); Requires A Roll (Skill roll: Analyze Monster; Jammed, Must be made each Phase/use; -1 1/2) (Real Cost: 2)

Have you seen my character "Mystery Man?"

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary sings: "And you won't give up the search, for the ghosts in the halls"

This all comes back to an interesting point I keep banging on about: PER is based on INT. This makes little sense. Someone who is quick witted and has the relevant experience or education is probably better at drawing conclusions from observations but is no more likely to be able to make those observations in the first place unless they are specifically looking for them - which is again a function of experience or education. For a game that goes into such detail about combat (and to be fair, most RPGs do) it would be nice to see a little more than a straight skill roll determining the outcome of such important points.

It makes more sense to me to have a PER roll that is independent of INT. Maybe a base 11 or even a base 8 with mandatory skill levels in the character template bringing it up to 11. Then you have a measure of how good your senses are. If you want to spot a vampire through telltale signs that anyone could pick up on if they knew what to look for you make a PER roll with relevant knowledge skills (which are INT based anyway in most cases) as a complimentary roll.

This would apply to other areas too. If you are a spy and someone is following you then you get your spycraft KS as complimentary, for example. It would mean that you would have a far better way of defining what characters are likely to be good at spotting or picking up on, adding a lot more definition to the character.

To take an obvious example, say all vampires smell of a sweet scented flower that grows only in the mountains, but the scent is very very obvious. Everyone who meets a vampire WILL smell the scent, but most will just assume it is a floral cologne. Only those who know that vampires smell that way will suspect that they are dealing with a vampire. It is nothing to do with how good your senses are. Senses supply raw data, intelligence crunches those data and reaches a conclusion.

This all comes back to an interesting point I keep banging on about: PER is based on INT. This makes little sense. Someone who is quick witted and has the relevant experience or education is probably better at drawing conclusions from observations but is no more likely to be able to make those observations in the first place unless they are specifically looking for them - which is again a function of experience or education. For a game that goes into such detail about combat (and to be fair' date=' most RPGs do) it would be nice to see a little more than a straight skill roll determining the outcome of such important points.[/quote']

6E2 12 is a complete page dedicated for perception Roll modifiers.

The description of Danger Sense (with the +5 Adder for detecting things that the normals Senses can' find) notices the use of Perception Complimentary to Danger Sense. The inversion (using Skills Complimentary to PER) is also not that far away.

To take an obvious example, say all vampires smell of a sweet scented flower that grows only in the mountains, but the scent is very very obvious. Everyone who meets a vampire WILL smell the scent, but most will just assume it is a floral cologne. Only those who know that vampires smell that way will suspect that they are dealing with a vampire. It is nothing to do with how good your senses are. Senses supply raw data, intelligence crunches those data and reaches a conclusion.

Agreed, but I don't think INT-based PER necessarily implies heightened senses. Rather, I feel that INT is acceptable since it implies that your PER is based, in good part, on how much attention you are paying.

Many people can be exposed to the exact same stimuli and take away varying levels of perception of what happened; some might not even know anything was going on! INT can model the person who, DUE TO their experience/wits, recognized that SOMETHING their senses caught is SOMEHOW significant.

So in your example, the people with poor PER capacities might just have it described as "He's wearing cologne." Not even "floral," since the association with flowers is so well known (don't want to unduly influence the player). Heck, they might not even get the descriptor that he's wearing cologne, I might just leave it out entirely. Even though the character smelled it, unless someone asks them after the fact (and even then, not always. How many often have you had trouble remembering something obvious that you weren't paying attention to in the first place?), they might not even get that detail.

The high INT/PER character..... "He smells strongly of a floral cologne. Give me a roll...." Or even "He smells of the X flower," depending.

6E2 12 is a complete page dedicated for perception Roll modifiers.

The description of Danger Sense (with the +5 Adder for detecting things that the normals Senses can' find) notices the use of Perception Complimentary to Danger Sense. The inversion (using Skills Complimentary to PER) is also not that far away.

Danger sense itself (unless you buy adders,as you note) only works if you can perceive the danger with your normal senses anyway (6.1.111), which is odd as DS is a 15 point detect (which is enough for a large group (danger) at range, without involving any senses anyway), AND given that it is defined specifically as a 'sixth sense'.

The problem with using Skills (usually KS) complementary to PER is that you are using your INT modifier twice, which is silly.

The real problem with Danger Sense is defining danger. Like the floral scent of vampires: if you do not KNOW that vampires smell like that, how is your danger sense going to be triggered?

Agreed' date=' but I don't think INT-based PER necessarily implies heightened senses. Rather, I feel that INT is acceptable since it implies that your PER is based, in good part, on how much [i']attention you are paying.[/i]

Many people can be exposed to the exact same stimuli and take away varying levels of perception of what happened; some might not even know anything was going on! INT can model the person who, DUE TO their experience/wits, recognized that SOMETHING their senses caught is SOMEHOW significant.

So in your example, the people with poor PER capacities might just have it described as "He's wearing cologne." Not even "floral," since the association with flowers is so well known (don't want to unduly influence the player). Heck, they might not even get the descriptor that he's wearing cologne, I might just leave it out entirely. Even though the character smelled it, unless someone asks them after the fact (and even then, not always. How many often have you had trouble remembering something obvious that you weren't paying attention to in the first place?), they might not even get that detail.

The high INT/PER character..... "He smells strongly of a floral cologne. Give me a roll...." Or even "He smells of the X flower," depending.

I agree with the argument but (there is always a 'but'...) we have to buy animals in Hero with enhanced PER just to avoid them walking constantly into trees. Decoupling from INT avoids that problem. Anyway, it is largely down to what you are used to: even the stupidest inhabitant of a Transylvania village will know and recognise the particular scent of vampires.

The problem also occurs when you take the Mr Fantastic scenario. 40 INT (for argument's sake) gives him a PER roll of 9+8=17-, which means that he can still perceive something that is tiny (1 foot in height) on an 11 or less, whereas, even if it is pointed out to them, someone of average intelligence can only see that on a 3- (it is a -8 modifier).

This explains why you can never find a pen or your keys.

Anyway, back to animals; I have cats. They very often perceive danger, or at least something that requires them to run up the curtains and hiss, even when it is not there - or, if it is, then they completely overreact to it. These are not bright animals BUT they have no problem with perception at all. Yes a lot of animals have +PER in their write up, but that is only necessary because PER is INT based int eh first place.

Danger sense itself (unless you buy adders,as you note) only works if you can perceive the danger with your normal senses anyway (6.1.111), which is odd as DS is a 15 point detect (which is enough for a large group (danger) at range, without involving any senses anyway), AND given that it is defined specifically as a 'sixth sense'.

[...]

The real problem with Danger Sense is defining danger. Like the floral scent of vampires: if you do not KNOW that vampires smell like that, how is your danger sense going to be triggered?

I already gave the complete way it is built not to far above in this thread. As for the deactivation condition (only dangers detecable by his normal senses), that is something *all* independant detects must have (wich I also noted above): "Like Sight and other “ordinary” Senses, Detects can be “blocked” by certain objects, substances, or phenomena. Typically this depends on their Simu -lated Sense Group, but even if a Detect doesn’t simulate any Sense Group, the character must define what “blocks” it." 6E1 210.

And the activation conditions sound very clear for me: Whenever he could be suprised in combat.

The problem with using Skills (usually KS) complementary to PER is that you are using your INT modifier twice' date=' which is silly.[/quote']

Charm, High Soceity and Persuasion are Complimentary to Conversation. And all 4 of them are based on PREsense. So unless you say "the entire complimentary Skill system is silly", you didn't gave any reason agaisnt it at all.

Charm, High Soceity and Persuasion are Complimentary to Conversation. And all 4 of them are based on PREsense. So unless you say "the entire complimentary Skill system is silly", you didn't gave any reason agaisnt it at all.

No, that is what you are saying I am saying. Complementary skills are a great idea, but stacking bonuses for high characteristics by using multiple similar skills is silly and abusive, and should have been thought about properly.

If it is not self evident, try this:

+5 INT gets you +1 with a skill roll based on INT and increases your PER for 5 points (or 3 points if you are at a cost break, like you would be with a starter character)

+1 with all INT based skills costs 4 points as a skill level, but you can only use that once per phase, even if you use more than one INT based skill.

The solution - if anyone agrees that one is needed - is simple - treat the bonus to Intellect skills from Intelligence as a bonus that can only be applied once per use, no matter how many skills you apply, rather than rolling it into the skill itself, allowing for multiple 'free' uses of that same Intelligence in a single task.

I already gave the complete way it is built not to far above in this thread. As for the deactivation condition (only dangers detecable by his normal senses), that is something *all* independant detects must have (wich I also noted above): "Like Sight and other “ordinary” Senses, Detects can be “blocked” by certain objects, substances, or phenomena. Typically this depends on their Simu -lated Sense Group, but even if a Detect doesn’t simulate any Sense Group, the character must define what “blocks” it." 6E1 210.

And the activation conditions sound very clear for me: Whenever he could be suprised in combat.

You did, apologies. I was not quite sure what you were saying there. As it stands, DS would not detect danger from a "Desolidified being that is invsible to Sight, hearing, Smell and Taste" as that being would not be detectable by normal senses, and that covers all of them.

I think the problem is that 'danger' is not really defined. I mean, if I see a butterfly about to land on my hand, I probably would not think that I was in any danger, but if I knew it carried a contact poison on its wings, I would. That is not going to be detectable by normal senses until it is too late, unless it is somehow adding range to my sense of smell/taste/touch. Danger is not easy to define except in meta-game terms.

No' date=' that is what you are saying I am saying. Complementary skills are a great idea, but stacking bonuses for high characteristics by using multiple similar skills is silly and abusive, and should have been thought about properly.[/quote']

You have the buy the right to apply it multiple times, by investing 3 character points each of the Skill's first. 3 Character points to get a bonus if you make a Roll and only if you have the "right" skill to add too - sounds like a very good price. In fact it sounds like something you can easily make with Skill Levels and required Roll.

I think the problem is that 'danger' is not really defined. I mean' date=' if I see a butterfly about to land on my hand, I probably would not think that I was in any danger, but if I knew it carried a contact poison on its wings, I would. That is not going to be detectable by normal senses until it is too late, unless it is somehow adding range to my sense of smell/taste/touch. Danger is not easy to define except in meta-game terms.[/quote']

Danger is clearly defined as "Danger". The Butterfly with the deadly disesase(poision is clearly a danger.

The only question is, if you can percieve the danger:

Without any additional senses, adders for Danger Sense or information: Not a chance.

With the +5 adder "Any Danger": Sure as hell. And you would even know what danger if you made your roll by half.

If you have Detect Disease with the Sense Adder: Yes, you can percieve the danger, just like you could as sword. Wholly without danger sense.

If you have Detect Disease with and +5 Any Danger: You can use Detect Disease Complimentary to Danger Sense, asuming you have both "in use" in that phase.

Also keep in mind that that you can sneak past/buy an invisibility against Danger Sense.

When the butterfly is actually an naked advantage for the Poision attack built as "Absolutely Invisible" +1, Invisible to Danger Sense +1/4 ... then not even the last built should work.

You have the buy the right to apply it multiple times' date=' by investing 3 character points each of the Skill's first. 3 Character points to get a bonus if you make a Roll and only if you have the "right" skill to add too - sounds like a very good price. In fact it sounds like something you can easily make with Skill Levels and required Roll.[/quote']

Yes, but if you buy the basic skill then you still get to apply your investment multiple times if you roll well. Basing the utility of a skill on what else you may have bought skews the value. We would be better off completely decoupling skills (and PER) from characteristics, which would allow us to do away with INT completely, and re-cost DEX and PRE too. Yummy.

Danger is clearly defined as "Danger". The Butterfly with the deadly disesase(poision is clearly a danger.

...which is what I mean when I say 'danger' is a meta-concept, or at least an experience/education concept. People who have never heard of guns might think that the loud noises going off over there are interesting, and maybe even a cause for caution, but will not believe that they are in any danger until they experience being hit, in person or vicariously.

The only question is, if you can percieve the danger:

Without any additional senses, adders for Danger Sense or information: Not a chance.

With the +5 adder "Any Danger": Sure as hell. And you would even know what danger if you made your roll by half.

If you have Detect Disease with the Sense Adder: Yes, you can percieve the danger, just like you could as sword. Wholly without danger sense.

If you have Detect Disease with and +5 Any Danger: You can use Detect Disease Complimentary to Danger Sense, asuming you have both "in use" in that phase.

Also keep in mind that that you can sneak past/buy an invisibility against Danger Sense.

When the butterfly is actually an naked advantage for the Poision attack built as "Absolutely Invisible" +1, Invisible to Danger Sense +1/4 ... then not even the last built should work.

The question, to my mind is 'do you perceive what you perceive as a danger?' the separation of perception and conclusion would solve that particular conundrum.

I KNOW that DS is a shorthand, but it illustrates a point. Say you are Desolid and have DS. If someone fires a normal bullet at you you are in no danger BUT if they have some weird 'affects desolid modifier' (whatever that is in game terms) on the bullet, it IS a danger to you. How are you going to know unless you are defining danger in some supernatural (or extranatural, perhaps) manner? This is particularly well illustrated when the DS is bought to detect danger that you could not even normally perceive and at that point, SFX becomes all-important. For example if your DS is in fact a form of unconscious precognition then fine, you know that you get hurt if you do not do something and you can react (assuming that the universe is non-deterministic), but the point is that 'danger' still needs better definition, and if you properly define how your DS works then it you have that.

Yes' date=' but if you buy the basic skill then you still get to apply your investment multiple times if you roll well. Basing the utility of a skill on what else you may have bought skews the value. We would be better off completely decoupling skills (and PER) from characteristics, which would allow us to do away with INT completely, and re-cost DEX and PRE too. Yummy.[/quote']

You go on to that and have fun with it. Until you are finished, I take the system we have now. Not one that may or may never be come to pass.

...which is what I mean when I say 'danger' is a meta-concept' date=' or at least an experience/education concept. People who have never heard of guns might think that the loud noises going off over there are interesting, and maybe even a cause for caution, but will not believe that they are in any danger until they experience being hit, in person or vicariously.[/quote']

To make the poision (Blast/Drain/KA, AVAD) undetectable you need full IPE (+1). That alone covers your normal Senses and your Danger Sense without the "Any dangers" adder.

The question, to my mind is 'do you perceive what you perceive as a danger?' the separation of perception and conclusion would solve that particular conundrum.

I KNOW that DS is a shorthand, but it illustrates a point. Say you are Desolid and have DS. If someone fires a normal bullet at you you are in no danger BUT if they have some weird 'affects desolid modifier' (whatever that is in game terms) on the bullet, it IS a danger to you. How are you going to know unless you are defining danger in some supernatural (or extranatural, perhaps) manner? This is particularly well illustrated when the DS is bought to detect danger that you could not even normally perceive and at that point, SFX becomes all-important. For example if your DS is in fact a form of unconscious precognition then fine, you know that you get hurt if you do not do something and you can react (assuming that the universe is non-deterministic), but the point is that 'danger' still needs better definition, and if you properly define how your DS works then it you have that.

I would not hang up to much on SFX. The character has the power to detect dangers "his normal sense could not detect". I can give you an explanation for every special effect, including being observant: "The way he aimed, the look in his eye ... I knew that this shoot could hit me."

If not even the enemy knew what bullets he had? "I didn't wanted to take the risk." That is about all the explanation you need here, the character just *knew* it because he bought the Danger Sense with Any Danger Adder.

I would not hang up to much on SFX. The character has the power to detect dangers "his normal sense could not detect". I can give you an explanation for every special effect' date=' including being observant: "The way he aimed, the look in his eye ... I knew that this shoot could hit me."[/color']

If not even the enemy knew what bullets he had? "I didn't wanted to take the risk." That is about all the explanation you need here, the character just *knew* it because he bought the Danger Sense with Any Danger Adder.

Yes, well, if someone is obviously pointing a gun at you, your common sense should be tingling, let alone your danger sense, and if you have to resort to 'you knew you were in danger because you had bought Danger Sense', then I think you've proved my point about it being a meta-effect.

Yes' date=' but if you buy the basic skill then you still get to apply your investment multiple times if you roll well. Basing the utility of a skill on what else you may have bought skews the value. We would be better off completely decoupling skills (and PER) from characteristics, which would allow us to do away with INT completely, and re-cost DEX and PRE too. [/quote']

Believe it or not, I have been thinking this for a long time.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary wonders if this should go on the calender - Lucius Alexander in 100% agreement with Sean Waters about something.

PPS (Post Palindromedary Stuff) actually 95% agreement as I'll explain later

Believe it or not, I have been thinking this for a long time.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary wonders if this should go on the calender - Lucius Alexander in 100% agreement with Sean Waters about something.

PPS (Post Palindromedary Stuff) actually 95% agreement as I'll explain later

We...agree? Is this one of the signs of the end times? :)

[/color]

Yes, well, if someone is obviously pointing a gun at you, your common sense should be tingling, let alone your danger sense, and if you have to resort to 'you knew you were in danger because you had bought Danger Sense', then I think you've proved my point about it being a meta-effect.

What do you mean with "Meta-effect" here?

The seperation of game effect and Special Effect is on of the fundations of building powers.

We...agree? Is this one of the signs of the end times? :)

Well, we also have 2012. And we have a Friday the 13th in April and Juli. So it's quite possible...