Clairsentience?

I've never used this power in all my years of GMing the Hero system. i have a player who is about to add this power to their chracater and I realize I don't really understand how it works. Yes...I get the basic concept...and read the entry in the rulebook...but how does it work mechanically? It's really vague to me. Can anyone explain it to me in layman's terms....preferably with an example that let's me see how it works in the game? (The rulebook has no examples of the power in action.) Thanks in advance.

Re: Clairsentience?

"How" it works greatly depends upon the SFX of the character's ability.

Is it technological in nature? Psychic?

Depending on the parameters of the power (advantages and adders) the character can "see" things from where s/he is without being within viewing distance. Sometimes this can also be past or future. Psychometry (object reading) is one psychic power. Pick up and object, see who it belongs to, what it was primarily used for, what it was last used for.

It can represent a wide range of different special effects.

I have used it to represent the really long range 'telescopic' senses of Superman (inside a VPP), the classic Fantasy scrying spell and even a "teleport gate" creator who could open tiny 'windows' to other location (and with the usable by others advantage let others see through the 'window' as well). I'm currently using it to represent Reed Richard's ability to stretch his neck/eyes/ears around corners (the Clairsentience itself is actually built with No Range but when combined with his Stretching Power it means he is actually putting a body part in harms way).

An often overlooked aspect though is the fact that it is considered a Standard Power and as such is legal to be put into Power Frameworks (Multipower & Variable Power Pool) unlike other Sensory Powers which are all considered Special Powers and therefore not allowed in Frameworks.

Mechanically' date=' it is just like the character is standing somewhere else and sensing from that point, only they are not actually there, it is just a 'perception point'.[/quote']

The book says you have to define this perception point....so...does the player say something like..."always 30 meters forward and 20 meters to the right" or something? That seems rather limiting. For the record...the power I plan to use for this character is identical to the one used by Witchcraft in 6th ed Champions Universe under her "Eye of Ra" power.

The book says you have to define this perception point....so...does the player say something like..."always 30 meters forward and 20 meters to the right" or something? That seems rather limiting. For the record...the power I plan to use for this character is identical to the one used by Witchcraft in 6th ed Champions Universe under her "Eye of Ra" power.

"Define" just means "describe where it is," but that location can be different every time you use the power (unless you take the Fixed Perception Point Limitation). Basically, you place your perception point at some point within the Power's range, and then you can use the affected Senses as through the character was using those Senses from that point.

Let's see:

It allows you to percieve with certain Sense groups (that you buy) from a different point (point of perception) in addition to where you stand*.

Clairsentience (and any sesne used trhough it) does not counts as Targetting Sense, wich is important for Mental Powers and indirect powers.

The Range is Base Points times 10 in meters, with a special +5 double range extra cost.

The "target point" generally has to lie in his line of sight but could also be "behind a wall". "Hitting" an area requires no Roll.

The perception point can be changed form use to use. Moving it during a use needs "mobile adder". The perception point is invisibile.

You can't have more than one instance runnign at a time (for this you apparently need the multiple perception points adder). I don't know if you can use two powers to "walk" your perception points.

You can apply sense modifiers.

*Just calculate the Per modifier from where it is better, but keep in mind that anything used through clairsentience does not counts as targetting sense.

Some 'realish' examples might help:

You could buy one of those flexible fibre optic cameras that special forces units use to look under doors and around corners, and define that as Clairvoyance (i.e. sight group Clairsentience) with a fixed viewpoint: it is always 2 feet away from you, or you could buy a fixed camera that you place at a point and that will transmit to you from that point so long as you remain within range as 'vanilla' Clairvoyance' (you could have several placeable cameras and that would be Clairvoyance with multiple viewpoints) or you could build a camera drone that transmits from whereever it is and you can move it about as it is Clairvoyance with the mobile perception point adder.

Some 'realish' examples might help:

You could buy one of those flexible fibre optic cameras that special forces units use to look under doors and around corners, and define that as Clairvoyance (i.e. sight group Clairsentience) with a fixed viewpoint: it is always 2 feet away from you

That was true in 5E. But in 6E it's covered by teh "Adjacent" Sense Modifier.