Images vs. Shape Shift or something else

Ghost Archer

Re: Images vs. Shape Shift or something else

By doing as you suggest with a sticky white label, however, begs the question: If by labeling these two particular powers POWER X, what differentiates them?

I was only suggesting a label for one Power.

If you want to relabel all of them, obviously you'd use the whole alphabet and probably several double letters. Or a numeric code.

Or you could use a kind of code identifying Powers by category and default properties (END use, Range, etc)

Or you could use Images, Usable as Attack. Or Disguise Skill, bought to an absurd level, tweaked with a few Advantages and Limitations to make it work as you envision, and applying the Extraordinary Skill rule (take a -10 to the roll to disguise the Incredible Hunk as the Credible Hank.)

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary is working on its Self Image

Mechanically, what you want to do is disguise the character in some way so their appearance is altered, but only in the sense of other people seeing it, touch would immediately negate the effect I'm assuming?

Some suggestions (others have suggested this I'm sure):

Disguise (skill roll, inherently works on others - you can apply Disguise to a Target); but is dodgy from use to use (a roll each time).

Shapeshift: Images - alters how the target appears, is generally 'fool proof', but requires Usable By Others at the very least. If you've defined how 'illusions' operate, you could add other Limitations that will negate the Power (like shattering the mirrors generating the image, or busting the Illusion Generator Focus, or the like)

Images: Creates actual Images, but without GM ruling, also requires Usable As Attack to "follow" the Target as they move, otherwise it's centered on the Target Hex.

Those three options have some different Game Effect connotations, but all will do the same basic job.

One of the major diferences is Images will create an "illiusion" that can be seen through (with a good enough Perception Roll you perceive the Image Power is not Reality); where Shapeshift will create an "illusion" that is effectively perfect and cannot be 'disbelieved' by a simple Perception test.

Also - Images inherently works over Range and Area, Shapeshift is Personal.

When I apply "Requires a Skil Roll" or "Visibile" to Shape Shift, it can also been seen through (even with a perception Roll).

The real difference is that Shape Shift is Personal, while Images creates a completely independant Sensory impression in an Area.

When I apply "Requires a Skil Roll" or "Visibile" to Shape Shift, it can also been seen through (even with a perception Roll).

The real difference is that Shape Shift is Personal, while Images creates a completely independant Sensory impression in an Area.

Adding a Limitation to make them similar points out the differences. So - that's a difference.

Adding a Limitation to make them similar points out the differences. So - that's a difference.

No, it shows that the difference is not a Major Difference.

A Major Difference between between Blast and HKA is that one does normal Damage and one does Killing Damage. That one adds Strenght and the other is at range is not a major part, as both can be negated with a Limitation. But how the Body and Stun are calculated, that can't be affected by anything.

One of the major diferences is Images will create an "illiusion" that can be seen through (with a good enough Perception Roll you perceive the Image Power is not Reality); where Shapeshift will create an "illusion" that is effectively perfect and cannot be 'disbelieved' by a simple Perception test.

Also - Images inherently works over Range and Area, Shapeshift is Personal.

Oddly enough this is that exact way I have interpreted it and this is also why I am using Images. I think the discussion has jumped the track at this point in an effort to present me with alternatives involving Shape Shift or explain to me other concepts I've been dealing with for thirty years. I thank all for their input.

If you are going to use Images in regard to the following him around thing I would personally say just use the Mobile Advantage and define it as following the character it is cast on instead of being able to move it himself. If you decide to use the Usable As Attack to stick it to him instead (like with Darkness) I don't think you even need Mobile, so it comes down to what you see as more balanced.

The Credible Hank: (Total: 47 Active Cost, 23 Real Cost) Sight Group Images, +/-3 to PER Rolls, 1 Continuing Fuel Charge lasting 6 Hours (+1/4), Usable As Attack (+1 1/4) (47 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), Only to Activate, -3/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4) (Real Cost: 23)

Lucius Alexander

The Incredible Palindromedary