Considering running a Champions campaign - what do I need to buy....

Ok I have the basic Hero books and a bunch of stuff to run my Fantasy Game, which is going very well. But during the summer there will be points in time when everyone can't get together and the rest of us would like to play. Champions campaigns were always good 'fill' for those breaks because they can be very episodic, at least the way I run my Champions games.

In any case, I am looking at the Hero store and trying to figure out what is must have, nice to have, and when I have more $s than I know what to do with ;). I am also going w/ PDFs whenever possible. I don't have the physical space for a lot of books

• Must Haves?
    • Champions Universe 6th Ed
    • Champions Powers - not sure I need this but maybe it will make it easier to build characters... Opinions
    • Champions Battlegrounds - good place for a starting set of adventures?
    • Book with a bunch of super villains

[*]Nice to Haves?

• Champions Universe Organizations Bundle - Expensive but looks very useful
    • More books w/ super villains

Suggestions & recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Re: Considering running a Champions campaign - what do I need to buy....

You should probably get the "Champions" book. It describes the comic book genre and how the hero system can be applied to it. "Champions Universe" goes into detail about the setting across the world which is super cool too. I'd also highly recommend "Conquerers, Killers, and Crooks" for some good villains. If you're looking for a four color easy to run campaign then "Millenium City" is a great book as well which goes into great detail about rebuilt Detroit and a good place to run your campaign. I've heard good things about Champions Powers though never used it myself.

I think you will need one thing the most:

Villains and Henchmen. Can't have a superbrawl without them. I also think writing them up and balancing them is what needs the most time when preparing a game.

Champions 6E has the Champions, a few of their Foes and some generic Henchmen written up.

It has a helpfull "plot generator".

It also has a "Superhuman Generator" wich could be helpfull to write up "Energy Projector of the week" - but you still have to write them down by hand.

If you have Hero Designer you can go for the Hero Designer Packs to certain Villain books, but otherwise you will need some of the Villian books.

If you are going to build your own villains, Champions Powers (and the HD pack) makes it much easier and faster.

If you're going to use pre-made villains, the most useful 6E book is Villains 3 (the greatest number of villains and more flexibility to mix and match). Even if you only want the pdf, you can get it at a slight discount through the kickstarter (and help the rest of us get our hardcopies at the same time): http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/herogames/champions-villains-3-solo-villains

Champions Battlegrounds has some interesting encounters. The (optional) plot thread that ties them together, however, kind of requires you to have an established, known superteam, so it might not be ideal for a group that's just starting. Villainy Unleashed has some fun one-shot scenarios, although I like the Champions Battlegrounds ones better.

If you really want pre-made adventures, Shades of Black and Crossroads Blues are really, really good. Shades being a multi-session story arc and Crossroads being a fun little one shot.

Actually' date=' if you want the villains, the Kickstarter is an excellent opportunity to get all three books for a pretty decent price.[/quote']

That's an excellent point, sir.

If you have Hero Designer you can go for the Hero Designer Packs to certain Villain books' date=' but otherwise you will need some of the Villian books.[/quote']

I would say Hero Designer should be on your list of what to buy. It's an excellent product and you'll find it very useful.

Everyone thank you for the feedback. I should have stated I already have HD. Excellent tool.

Looks like I will get

• Champions 6th Ed

Which should be enough to get started.

Ok I have the basic Hero books and a bunch of stuff to run my Fantasy Game, which is going very well. But during the summer there will be points in time when everyone can't get together and the rest of us would like to play. Champions campaigns were always good 'fill' for those breaks because they can be very episodic, at least the way I run my Champions games.

In any case, I am looking at the Hero store and trying to figure out what is must have, nice to have, and when I have more $s than I know what to do with ;). I am also going w/ PDFs whenever possible. I don't have the physical space for a lot of books

• Must Haves?
    • Champions Universe 6th Ed
    • Champions Powers - not sure I need this but maybe it will make it easier to build characters... Opinions
    • Champions Battlegrounds - good place for a starting set of adventures?
    • Book with a bunch of super villains

[*]Nice to Haves?

• Champions Universe Organizations Bundle - Expensive but looks very useful
    • More books w/ super villains

Suggestions & recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Must Haves:

Champions 6e

Hero Designer

Very Nice to haves:

Champions Powers 6e

Champions Universe 6e (esp if you want to use the CU to run your games)

Champions Villains Vols 1-3 there's a kickstarter to produce a paper version of vol 3 that has some really nice bundles as rewards http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/herogames/champions-villains-3-solo-villains?ref=live

Kind of nice to have:

Hero System Martial Arts

Champions Battlegrounds

Must Haves:

Champions 6e

Hero Designer

Very Nice to haves:

Champions Powers 6e

Champions Universe 6e (esp if you want to use the CU to run your games)

Champions Villains Vols 1-3 there's a kickstarter to produce a paper version of vol 3 that has some really nice bundles as rewardshttp://www.kickstarter.com/projects/herogames/champions-villains-3-solo-villains?ref=live

Kind of nice to have:

Hero System Martial Arts

Champions Battlegrounds

I would add the APG's under "nice to have". Otherwise I totally agree.

I would add the APG's under "nice to have". Otherwise I totally agree.

I disagree. Which is why it's not on my list. I don't see anything from the APG that someone needs to run a sucessful Champions game. There are some nice optional rules, but you don't need those to play.

I disagree. Which is why it's not on my list. I don't see anything from the APG that someone needs to run a sucessful Champions game. There are some nice optional rules' date=' but you don't need those to play.[/quote']

The same applies to HSMA, wich is why they are on the same list.

The same applies to HSMA' date=' wich is why they are on the same list.[/quote']

IMHO HS Martial Arts gives a larger list of Martial Arts styles and maneuvers. Which I find is much more useful than a list of optional rules that I will never use. I have gotten many character ideas from reading HS Martial Arts and it predecessors. For players who want to run a Martial Artist, they would be foolish to not have this book. For making NPC's it's also fairly indispensible.

BTW I forgot. Adding to the Kind of Useful HS Equipment guide. One can never have enough equipment to give to agents. Also SciFi equipment can be used to supplement power ideas esp if the Player wishes to run a Batman type or any type of equipment user.

I want to thank everyone for the advice. I already have Hero Designer and a bunch of material that I bought when I started up my Fantasy Hero game. I bought a bunch of HD packs when I first got back into Hero Games.

• 2 weeks later...