Thread on RPG.Net about HERO's complexity

Gents,

There is a thread on RPG.Net http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?626156-In-game-complexity-of-the-HERO-system/page3 discussing HERO's complexity in play. The thread is so far very positive stating that the complexity is mostly during character creation and actual gameplay is quite simple.

While I lurk there once in a while, I never bothered creating an account but I was wondering if the HEROdom here would be willing to contribute to the thread and pimp our favorite game system (and maybe advertise CV3 kickstarter).

Thanks!

DD

EDIT : And while we are at it a thread about favorites Super RPG here : http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?626337-I-just-saw-The-Avengers-Sell-me-on-your-favorite-Supers-RPG

Re: Thread on RPG.Net about HERO's complexity

You will find that most of the posters here has participated in threads over on RPG.net. To paraphrase old ObiWan Kenobi "It's a hive of scum and Villainy". It's really not worth posting stuff there. The pro hero people there are cool and the anti hero folk won't have their minds changed. It's not worth the time and aggravation.

Tasha

Any thread on RPG.Net about Hero almost always devolves into either a) how complicated it really is or B) how long combat takes.

Neither of which are arguments worth engaging on RPG.Net because it is absolutely full of people who would rather flame than converse. I stopped logging in there a long time ago.

I sympathize with the attitudes of some of my fellow posters above to the reaction from segments of the RPGnet community to HERO in years past, having myself been subjected to some intensely negative argument. However, several years ago the overall attitude there began to change, due in no small part to constructive, reasonable input from my fellow HEROphiles. My more recent experiences have been a lot more balanced -- I would say that generally speaking, HERO is just one more game system among many there now, no more lauded or villified than any other. I have no qualms posting about HERO on RPGnet any more, and if anyone here is hesitating to do so now mainly due to past experience, I would urge you to give it another chance. :)

My issue isn't with Hero specifically - I just don't like the attitude of the board in general. Maybe the Hero Boards have been so friendly and nice that I lost my tolerance for other boards' need to be rude to fellow posters.

My issue isn't with Hero specifically - I just don't like the attitude of the board in general. Maybe the Hero Boards have been so friendly and nice that I lost my tolerance for other boards' need to be rude to fellow posters.

I have read the 41 posts and no flames seen.

All seemed to be quite pleasent and gave a balanced views with the majority saying what a good game HERO was :).

So the board must have changed.

It seemed very like this one with people giving their opinions but not all agreeing with them.

I sympathize with the attitudes of some of my fellow posters above to the reaction from segments of the RPGnet community to HERO in years past' date=' having myself been subjected to some intensely negative argument. However, several years ago the overall attitude there began to change, due in no small part to constructive, reasonable input from my fellow HEROphiles. My more recent experiences have been a lot more balanced -- I would say that generally speaking, HERO is just one more game system among many there now, no more lauded or villified than any other. I have no qualms posting about HERO on RPGnet any more, and if anyone here is hesitating to do so now mainly due to past experience, I would urge you to give it another chance. :)[/quote']

That fits my experience too. It seems like the mods at RPG.net have cleaned out the worst trolls. HERO and GURPS used to be almost certain to devolve into flame wars. In the past two or three years though I've seen quite a few good discussions of these games and the most common disagreement coming from within being tied to prefered editions.

The attitude towards Hero has changed and you can have meaningful conversation about it. There was even quite a bit of positive interest in 6th edition when it was announced. You'll still get some "haters" that seem to have nothing better to do with their time than carpet bomb Hero threads nut 1. They're not tolerated and 2. Every game/subject has them.

Having lurked on rpg.net for quite some time and read threads involving complex tactical and statistical analysis of all sorts of dice, card and other mechanics... I'm firmly convinced that Hero "complexity" is more a matter of perception and reputation than actuality. Now might be a chance to help chance that perception and get more people to take a look at a great game.