Material Girl

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Material Girl

It is not the idea that is munchkin' date=' it is our suggestions as to how to build it :)[/quote']

The idea itself is okay.

It's details/effects pheonix wants that are problematic:

I could built this on a simple multiform if you would just accept that (for balacing reasons, not concept reasons) she shares her body and stun damage with the golems. It might not be 110% the concept, but as close as balancing allows us to get to it. Her mind is IN that Golem, directly controlling it as her real body - I don't see why she should not feel it if that golem is one-hitted into oblivion.

Sure her body isn't in the line, but there does not HAS to be a physical body for STUN. A Ghost has (by definition) no physical body, but nobody doubts that (for balancing reasons) he has stun and body scores.

If you only want her to share some body and stun damage with the golems, limited defenses are a simple solution on top of the Multiform. I am certain some GM's would even allow Golem defenses + "No skipover" Defenses to be higher than campaing limit. That makes her nothing but a Brick with Physical Manifestation and effort to activate on her powers.

*all of us would like to play a invulnerable brick/blaster/gadgetter with 14 DC attacks that cost 0 END. But hero simply doesn't does absolutes like "she does not takes any of the damage the golem takes".

We can only get very close to invulnerability, we can never attain it. If we did, the game could become boring.

Even Desolidification, one of the few absolutes we have, always has some weakpoints - inability to attack, the one Specpial effect, vulnerability to mental powers.

Sean asked if automatons were immune to mental powers. You responded "not unless they take a complication to be affected". You basically just said that they would not be immune (would be affected) to mental powers unless they took a complication to be affected. Or to rephrase it, you said "they would be affected unless they took a complication to be affected". That makes no sense and is what I was trying to point out.

EDIT: Unless I'm on crazy pills and totally mis-reading something here. Anyone?

Although it comes down to GM permission, I think Immunity can be done in Hero on a campaign-by-campaign basis.

I would think that if anything, there could be a custom power that made them count as a different category of minds instead of human. I had an inventor once who had made a circlet that made her relatively immune to psychics because it made her count as a machine class of mind.

Thanks for all the suggestions and discussion. It's really helped my solidify what I'd like the character to be able to do. Right now, I think Multiform with a generous amount of "Phantom" Stun and Body to handle any rollover damage is probably the simplest way to handle her abilities. I've also decided to drop the aspect of her powers were she always materializes where she first vanished. It's odd and sfx wise isn't really justifiable easily.

I am uncomfortable with this because Summon already has a specific number of uses or tasks that you can require of the summoned being/thing and a method for controlling it. I think that once you have made the summoned being perform the required number of tasks (however you have done it, including possession) it is 'free'.

Also any summoned being would have EGO and possibly mental defences and would have to be of the right 'class of mind' - although if that was all you used Possession for, that is perhaps not a problem. Buying a 1 EGO summoned being is cheating.

This is why summoned vehicles simply don't work with the RAW even though there is a sidebar example for them in the Summon section of the rulebook.

This is why summoned vehicles simply don't work with the RAW even though there is a sidebar example for them in the Summon section of the rulebook.

Maybe the Task rules should be dropped or made optional, perhaps Summon even folded into Duplication. They do seem to enforce if not a specific sfx a particular concept of how the ability works that isn't necessarily universal or generic.

Honestly, they really only fit the SFX of a wizard conjuring up a Demon or something. Or for simulating the Summon Monster * spells from D&D.

Hmm... I wonder if bigbywolfe is actually a lost Bigby's spell that had permanency applied to it? Bigby's Big Bad Wolfe.

If you summon a Car, Automaton or otehr being over wich you have full Controll you have to make it Slavishly Loyal (+1). A +1 Advantage plus Active Point Caps should keep it in check...

And you also, by RAW and according to Steve Long, need to get the unique advantage on top of that, even though it's a limitation for an inanimate object (or really anything except the kind of game breakers that players shouldn't be summoning anyway).

Not to mention the fact that the rules don't actually specify how long a mindless automata will stay if it's been summoned with slavishly loyal.

And you also, by RAW and according to Steve Long, need to get the unique advantage on top of that, even though it's a limitation for an inanimate object (or really anything except the kind of game breakers that players shouldn't be summoning anyway).

Not to mention the fact that the rules don't actually specify how long a mindless automata will stay if it's been summoned with slavishly loyal.

They do. Even Slavishly Loyal has a given amount of Tasks/Ego-Contest. And and any task is either a day or a phase in combat.

Honestly, they really only fit the SFX of a wizard conjuring up a Demon or something. Or for simulating the Summon Monster * spells from D&D.

Hmm... I wonder if bigbywolfe is actually a lost Bigby's spell that had permanency applied to it? Bigby's Big Bad Wolfe.

lol. Actually I stole the name from the comic book Fables. The Big Bad Wolf goes by Bigby for short, and my last name is Wolfe. Although now I want to write up a summon for a legendary dire wolfe and call it Bigby's Big Bad Wolf...

What counts as a task for an inanimate motorcycle' date=' Christopher? That has never been spelled out anywhere. If you don't know what counts as a task then you don't know how long it will stay summoned.[/quote']

Every Phase in Combat. Every Day in Game. Can't go simpler than what is already written :)

So if you have 5 actions with your summoned motorcycle and have been driving it 4 days and an hour into the 5th day you get attacked while riding after the first phase of combat time your bike disappears out from under you?

Basically yes. You should have re-summoned it to refresh the tasks.

But of course you can normally just make anotehr EGO-contest for a new set of Tasks. I would just asume the bikes EGO is 0 (9+) and use the normal penalty for repeated contests.

Of course with Slavishly Loyal the number of task per EGO contest equals your EGO Score, so you should be fine for a combat.