Sengoku or L5R to HERO

TheQuestionMan

Hmmm , let's try again .

Originally posted by Fitz

Check out Mark Doherty's site -- he ran a Sengoku-era campaign for a long time, and has a bunch of stuff there.

Note: this isn't "Sengoku TM ", the game, but Sengoku Jidai, the period of Japanese history.

Good Stuff that I'll mine for ideas , but I'd rather the Fuzion period fade from Memory . Thanks .

We're all trying to pretend Fuzion never happened.

Fear not - the Sengoku site is full of crunchy Hero system goodness - it's NOT a Fuzion site (although it has Fuzion conversions, since so many Sengoku GMs wrote to me and asked for them).

It's just that I had already started the Sengoku game (in Hero system, dammit!) and put up the website before GRG started working on their Fuzion-based Sengoku game, and I declined to change the name.

cheers, Mark

• 3 weeks later...

Hey!

I happen to like Fuzion. It's fast, easy to teach to others, and you don't need a calculator to make characters (all those fractions can be tedious). Best of all, anything that can be done with Hero can be done with Fuzion (at least, I haven't had any problems). I'm not saying Hero isn't great, but they each serve a different purpose/audience (Fuzion Champions is excluded from this praise...).

Sengoku is more accurate than L5R, but L5R has a rich story and setting which makes up for that. I would not bother converting Sengoku. But if you must, it will translate just fine.

The problem with converting L5R is the whole 5 rings thing. The whole game is based around this 5 rings theory, and I've seen it converted to GURPS and it ain't pretty. You'll get the same result converting it to Hero. Without the 5 rings, L5R loses a lot of meaning. Instead of purposeful, meanful attributes, you'll just have a collection of numbers. Those of you that have played both will know what I mean.

Personally, I would use FH to run a feudal japan setting, and use either of the other books as guidelines for historic accuracy (preferably Sengoku).

Good luck!

I agree

For me L5R is one of the coolest games out there (the aeg stuff, I hate them for the D20 conversion) I mean the world fits the style of game play and the rules. And if you have the money the minitures (Clan War) it melds almost efforlessly into that. Really a quality game when stuff was being put out for it. Now it's just turned into the same hack and slash crap that D20 cranks out.

D20 could be the death throws of good gaming folks.

just my opinon,

Wolf