Package Deals

Alcamtar

Do you use package deals in your campaign?

Are they required or optional? That is, if a player wants to play a dwarf, does he have to use the dwarf package, or do you let him design his own?

Does anyone offer different racial packages for different human groups? I'm thinking about having 3-4 different human ancestry packages with slight differences in characteristics.

Do they get any special benefits for taking a package? In earlier editions, a package deal gave bonus points, but this has apparently been eliminated... so there's no real incentive to take a package. Do you offer an incentive as a house rule?

I'm considering allowing disadvantages in package deals to not count against the total allowed. This gives an effective bonus to character points, without actually giving anything away fro free.

Another idea is that any characteristics in the package don't count toward NCM... so if a package with +2 CON, the NCM for CON is raised to 22. (but you're not paying anything special for the privilege, it's just a bonus.)

Finally, instead of offering a handful of points for "background skills" (as suggested on FH p.32), I might provide a selection of cultural packages and then let each player take an appropriate cultural package for free. Or provide 10 bonus points that can only be spent on a cultural or professional package.

Looking for ideas and comments,

Mike

I treat packages the same way--no bonus, just required buys. The main advantage is that certain powers and perks are not available without the packages. You can't have infravision unless you play a dwarf, you can't have growth unless you play a troll, and you can't have the Captain of the Imperial Guard perk unless you take the Captain of the Imperial Guard package.

I do try to make the required buys zero out with required disads.

my recommendation is to divide it into two types - alterations and enhancements.

An alteration should balance out to 0 points and should really be balanced - the limitations should be as limiting as the bonuses are useful (so no overconfident and +10 strength). Alterations do no affect your total - they give you a new base.

A dwarf race could be an example - give +5 str and -2" running, and -1" jumping. The dwarf race doesn't pay ncm for str until it goes over 25 but pays ncm for running over 8". (Obviously a dwarf race could be a lot more complex then that, but you get the idea).

Cultures could be done that way as well, but I don't recommend it. Free cultural differences are reflected in different everyman skills.

Enhancements are packages for standard cultures, classes, etc. A fighter could be an enhancement, or a townsman (trading skill, wealth, etc). Enhancements may be mandatory - all soldiers must by the soldier package, or simply convenient. If you have townsman and guard packages you can create an npc town guard very quickly.

I break it down into 2 types of Packages: Race Packages and All Other Packages :)

Each character must have 1 and only 1 Race Package, and Race Packages are locked -- the player cant monkey with them. Stats in Race packages effectively modify NCM as they are applied after NCM is calculated and the Disadvantage points of the Package are not counted against the players dis limit or total.

In effect, since every Race Package has NCM for 20 and a DF worth at least 5, this works out to characters being around 150 real points even though the campaign starts at 125 points (50 Base, up to 75 points in personal Disadvantages).

All other Packages are optional, discretionary, and with only a few rare exceptions completely alterable by the players as they wish. Disadvantages do count against limits/totals. Stats do count against NCM. They are just a convenient means of organization.

Race Package are covered in detail here:Race Package Definition

and Profession packages here: Profession Package Definition

Cultural packages are setting dependent, so I dont have any posted, but they work the same way as Profession Packages.

Only my second post on these boards but...

I'm in the final stages of putting my FH game together, set in a high magic, herioc fantasy world (high magic for a heroic setting anyway). No elves, dwarves ,or halflings, just an immortal race (will probably limit them to 1 per party) and 7 races of men.I'll require an ancestral package, probably no more than 20 points, some of them further broken down by environment, not sure if I'll make my own(environmental packages) or go with what's in the book.They'll have disadvantages that will count towards the limit.I belong to a good group of players who aren't prone to powergaming (though Hero seems to encourage it-not a big deal) but I want skills and characteristics that define where the characters come from and this seems like a good way to encourage this. I'm considering tweaking the minima/maxima for each race and further requiring a professional package,but a second package seems like it might be too restrictive for Hero.

Packages are suggestions, alter them at will. Two exceptions:

1) Certain organizations / cultures may have a required Package -- if you want that group in your background, you must have the Package. (Truly rare exceptions are allowed on occasion.)

2) Racial packages set the threshold for GM permission to raise a stat. If dwarves have +3 STR and -2 DEX, then a dwarven character requires GM permission to start with 19+ DEX.

I never liked "package bonuses". Well, OK, I liked them when I was a player. :)

Re: Package Deals

Originally posted by Alcamtar

Do you use package deals in your campaign?

Yep. Or rather, I will be (currently developing my first 5th Ed campaign)

Are they required or optional? That is, if a player wants to play a dwarf, does he have to use the dwarf package, or do you let him design his own?

I will a set number of racial packages that are based solely on race and feature, predominately, physical differences. Racial packages will be mandatory (everyone has a racial package...I think. Haven't decided on humans yet...)

However, as far as skill and such go, I'd still leave that to a 'profession package' such as Killer Shrike alludes to (and outlines on his site).

Does anyone offer different racial packages for different human groups? I'm thinking about having 3-4 different human ancestry packages with slight differences in characteristics.

No, I don't offer different "human racial packages", but different regions and subraces have slightly different "everyman" skills. For example, certain nomads all have "Riding, 8-", while others all have "TF: Small boats". Again, I leave the serious skills for profession packages, but I feel the "everyman" skills can be tweaked enough to allow for regional and racial diversity.

Do they get any special benefits for taking a package? In earlier editions, a package deal gave bonus points, but this has apparently been eliminated... so there's no real incentive to take a package. Do you offer an incentive as a house rule?

No, but unlike some I use the "Normal Char Maxima" disad to counter the cost of the package. Thus, a dwarven racial package might have 23 pts in altered physical abilities and what not. Counter that with the NCM and the package costs 3pts. Since everyone is going to have to take a racial package (it'll be mandatory), the NCM will tend to counter it.

[disclaimer: I haven't fully developed this yet so I haven't plugged all the holes...but I'm working on it.]

I'm considering allowing disadvantages in package deals to not count against the total allowed. This gives an effective bonus to character points, without actually giving anything away fro free.

In the past this is what I've done, as well. A "Distinctive Feature: Smell" given to a tanner would offset his skill package, but not count toward the regular disadvantages.

Another idea is that any characteristics in the package don't count toward NCM... so if a package with +2 CON, the NCM for CON is raised to 22. (but you're not paying anything special for the privilege, it's just a bonus.)

Again I do this as well. If the characteristics are altered in a racial package, that becomes the norm for that character. Thus, if a dwarf gets +2 to CON, his NCM for CON is set at 22. Likewise, a -2 DEX means his NCM for DEX is set at 18.

Finally, instead of offering a handful of points for "background skills" (as suggested on FH p.32), I might provide a selection of cultural packages and then let each player take an appropriate cultural package for free. Or provide 10 bonus points that can only be spent on a cultural or professional package.

Consider changing everyman skills instead of (or in addition to) cultural packages. It makes things a bit easier and, in my opinion, a little more realistic.

Them's my too sense...

Currently we're doing Supers, but Im getting Fantasy lined up in the background, and we are doing a shared-world design for the next fantasy setting we are going to play.

Im getting the game mechanics material done in the background, which Im posting as I go at http://www.FantasyHERO.com . Most of the world building in on paper at this point, but eventually will get typed up once its gelled more.

We were planning to start in a few weeks, but due to various things including the holidays we may not get started for another few weeks, perhaps the beginning of next year.

Originally posted by Rick

We're play SteamPunk hero right now, our GM's world of Aerious. Decidely a FH game, W/blackpower, steampower and a little Cthulu-esque ookieness to boot.

That sounds pretty interesting. Ive never had the cajones to try to run a Steampunk game -- I know next to nothing about the Age of Steam, so Id hose it all up. Just out of curiousity, where r u guys located?

Well the game is set in a Dr. Zivago type setting currently. There are the Arcadians (humans, think capitilist Russians) who forsook the magic and religion of their past in favor of this new tech.

The Dwarves who are full on Communist except they are out going and reconnecting to the outside world after over throwing thier corrupt theocracy they too turned their backs on magic.

The elves are relusive living high in thier floating cities (they've the most anadultrated magic, Name magic).

The Lryan, an anthrompomorphic lion race that lives in the Savanna's far to the south, they are a shamanistic hunter gatherer culture.

The Imperium (humans) basicly the Vatican W/teeth, their magic is semi-deitic, they and the lyran (they are neighbors) are the primary defence of the Corruptive power of the evil Techno-lich thing/nation in the southern sea. (I don't remember rhte stuff about the south sea, we've yet to run into it).

The Naga live deep in forrest and have mysterious powers over memory.

The Kaminoians are new to this world (Japenes/chinese, but red skinned and vague draconic). There God/Emperor, the the Dragon King brought them here from their dying world.

My character is a Arcanian, a Tolstoi type of social subversive and philosopher who fears that his cultures singlular focus on the future while forgeting the past is dangerous.We also have a Lyrian on a quest for knowledge about different peoples of the world. Then finally is the Diviner (actually a ranger in most games) who is an arcanian working for a Dr. Brown type of genious inventor.

Originally posted by Lowly Uhlan

Interesting steampunk concept ,Rick.I'm currently playing CODA-Trek at Game Towne on alternate Mondays (Game Towne has become a decent place to play since a certain employee has left). It will be 6 weeks to a month before I kick off my Fantasy game. Maybe we could all get together for a session or 2.

Its possible. My group is currently full, but half of them are college students at UCSD and usually split for home over the holidays leaving the rest of us sans game. We might be able to do a one off or two. Could be cool assuming we can all manage to get along :D

Perhaps, my time is very limited though, I'm a student at Cal State Fullerton (yes it's a long commute), between learning chinese, having tons of music to write, 2-4 hours a day of Guitar and piano practice and Kung Fu 4 days a week, I'm lucky I get the 5 hours a week on sunday to actually play in the first place. I'm going to run a game one day but I'm a little strapped for time currently :P.

As was said though over the break might be doable.