Ars Tactica

Re: Ars Tactica

If he is to fast to hit routinely (I think we talk about less Brick OCV < target DCV with defensive Maneuvers) how is goign to hit with a Grab in the first place?

by coordinating with others if fighting with a group. Or with Martial Maneuvers and/or some CSL's. Or by using terrain features to get surprise move bonuses etc...

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some ideas I had.

Mentalist Blind:

11d6 Sight Group Flash (55), Addtional Sense Group: Mental (5), 60 Base

this attack should disable a mentalist for about 1 Turn. Usually they can use Mind Scan to get a target lock if thier eyes are flashed, but with this one the mental group is equally affected.

In addition it blocks his "mental voice & hearing" (6E1 14), thus preventing the use (but not stopping) of Mind Links, Telepathy and similar powers.

Mage Bind:

Entangle, 2d6 with 2 PD/2 ED (20), Additional Defenses (+6 PD, 15), Affects a single Sense: Voice (5)*, 40 Base; Cannot be escaped with Teleortation (twice, +1/2), 60 AP

*per 6E2 10 and APG I 28 Voice can be considered as a non-targetting sense at GM option.

Total of 2d6 Body, 8 PD and 2 ED. This power is designed to block Mages that need gestures or incantations to use spells, but works against everyone with such limitations. It is very hard to break out under 40 STR and it would even stop Tachyons "Focussed Teleportation" (40m, x2 Armor Piercing) and Brick level casual STR.

But relevant STR or anyone helping with an energy attack will break it.

An alternative to Flash and Darkness:

Entangle 3d6 with 3 PD/3 ED (30), Affects a Sense Group: Sight (10), 40 Base;

Takes no Damage from Attacks (+1/2)

Entangle , Does not affects use of Accessible Foci (-1), Set Effect (Eyes Only -1*)

*while this is certainly less than only hands or feets, the eyes are still very relevant area so only a -1

It is worth noting that even if a mentalist can not manage line of sight, they can still use mental powers, if they know roughly where to aim, in the same way that someone with a blast could still let loose. To this extent a 'Flash' is effective against any attack, making the purchase of flash defence or an unusual sense a good investment for anyone. The difficulty with flashing sensible mentalists is:

1. They can stand a long way away and still hit you,

2. They are not going to be drawing attention to themselves- mental attacks are invisible by default.

Indomitable will:

10 2-point Skill Level for EGO Breakout Roll, 20 Real

This power makes you de-facto immune to Continuing Mental Effect Powers. Also keep in mind that if you manage your first breakout roll, the power never had any effect on you.

I see one major weakpoint to buying up EGO:

It won't prevent foes from archieving "Target is unaware it was target of a mental power"-Results - so you break out without ever knowing you were affected.

At least until he tries to not get it to pile on a higher Breakout Roll penalty.

But that is not all.

When we asume the EGO Breakout Roll counts as a "single Roll" for skill levels.

And we further asume that +EGO to resist all interaction skills counts also as one Roll (the writeup for Resistance implies that), then:

10 3-point Skill Level for EGO-Breakout, CON-Breakout and "Resist Interaction Skill" EGO-Rolls, 30 Real

An Array.

This is the ability for 2 or more characters who train to fight together so often and become so adept at this that when they fight together, the sum is greater than the individual parts.

I write this up as Combat Skill Levels bought Useable On Others. Let that sink in for a second.

Yep. When these characters get together, they can add any Array Combat Skill Levels together and use them simultaneously! For example, if you have a team of 4 villains that develop an Array, each one purchasing +2 Combat Skill Levels with Hand to Hand, they can grant each of their comrades these +2 CSL's as well as utilizing them personally, thus each of the 4 combatants now have access to +8 Combat Skill Levels with Hand to Hand as long as they stay within "proximity" of each other!

Array CSL's are built like this:

Useable On Others (+1/4), x4 recipients (+1/2), Recipeint must be in Limited Range for power to be granted (+1/4), Recipient must remain close (-1/2). Total Advantage +3/4.

Possible Limitations include: Requires Skill Roll (Teamwork of course), Cost Endurance, Limited Power (only at night, only while fighting in water etc), Focus (such as a combat computer that coordinates tactics) Requires Multiple Users (the characters can only do this when all their teammates are together).

Thus characters above who bought +2 HtH CSL's (16) Useable on Others (+3/4) 28 Active.

Requies a Roll (-1/2) [Teamwork], Requires Multiple Users [4] (-1/2) 14 Real Points.

When the characters are all within 20" of each other, they can share their Array Combat Skill Levels and together bring any foe down together. It requires all 4 team members to be together (fewer than that gives a penalty to activate) and they must make a Teamwork skill roll at -3. When this is successful, each one will grant the other 3 in the team their +2 hand to hand CSL's (and can use it themselves) giving each member of the group +6 CSL's for a total of +8 CSL's they can use while fighting together.

This works great for teams of siblings (especially twins or triplets) and can be one heck of a surprise for any character fighting them for the first time.

An Array.

HSMA 6E has something similar under the same name:

"Array, Aid OCV and DCV 4d6 to Self, must be Within 10m of designated partner"

Both the HSMA and your version require an attack action. But the HSMA version requires your action to aid yourself.

A simpler way could be to just buy the CSL, then limit them to only work with a (specific) partner.

HSMA 6E has something similar under the same name:

"Array, Aid OCV and DCV 4d6 to Self, must be Within 10m of designated partner"

Both the HSMA and your version require an attack action. But the HSMA version requires your action to aid yourself.

A simpler way could be to just buy the CSL, then limit them to only work with a (specific) partner.

I don't have HSMA yet. I know that in the 5th and 4th editions of UMA/Ninja Hero an array was written up as Aid to DEX (only to increase combat value). I decided to skip the middle man and apply that same concept to stand alone skill levels.

I don't have HSMA yet. I know that in the 5th and 4th editions of UMA/Ninja Hero an array was written up as Aid to DEX (only to increase combat value). I decided to skip the middle man and apply that same concept to stand alone skill levels.

Our group does the same thing. It is easier than array especially if you are just going to do standard effect to speed uo the game.