Telescoping Bo Staff

I am trying to make a telecoping bo staff that when in use it is about 6' long but can retract to about fist size to make it easy to fit on an utility belt. I am guessing I need to put some kind of Shrinking (self only) power on the staff. The staff is made up of an alien metal that makes it extra durable and leaves me open to adding more tricks later in the form of a multi-power. What is the best way to present that?

Re: Telescoping Bo Staff

I think you need to do:

Nothing.

Some GM might require you to take inobvious on that power (it can't be seen before you activate it), but I would not go that far.

If this is more than just "one staff":

You could simualte shrinking by putting Concealment Bonus/DCV bonus on it. Normally "only one Focus" is a -2 Limitation. But unless you plan on regualryy sucker-punch people with this "staff from nowhere", I would not bother.

APG II also has "Extra-dimensional storage".

I am trying to make a telecoping bo staff that when in use it is about 6' long but can retract to about fist size to make it easy to fit on an utility belt. I am guessing I need to put some kind of Shrinking (self only) power on the staff. The staff is made up of an alien metal that makes it extra durable and leaves me open to adding more tricks later in the form of a multi-power. What is the best way to present that?

If for a super heroic/Champions game just take IAF @ -1/2 instead of OAF @ -1.

If for a low power supers/heroic/Dark Champions game no points are necessary. Just require that the character has an appropriate Perk to explain access to such equipment (like Wealth or something similar).

If for a super heroic/Champions game just take IAF @ -1/2 instead of OAF @ -1.

That's not an IAF. An Inobvious Focus is inobvious when in use; it's not the visible source of the power/attack. The staff is completely obvious when being swung about.

(Yes, I know that's how Steve does it. I think Steve is wrong.)

I generally consider 'storage' in such ways to simply be special effects or something just handwaved away for simplicity's sake.

That's not an IAF. An Inobvious Focus is inobvious when in use; it's not the visible source of the power/attack. The staff is completely obvious when being swung about.

(Yes, I know that's how Steve does it. I think Steve is wrong.)

I generally consider 'storage' in such ways to simply be special effects or something just handwaved away for simplicity's sake.

That IAF was in Ninja Hero long before Steve Long took over. :) I've seen the agrument for OAF with concealment skill.

Half correct. If a focus is the source of an obvious power (like any attack), it's obviously the source of the power. Power obviousness overrides Focus Obviousness (the "Green Lantern Ring" situation).

So yes, a 4d6 HTH-Attack, IAF (-1/2) would be easy to conceal. But still totally obvious when used.

As I read it, a "obvious" Focus means that it is clear:

That it is a focus.

That it provides powers (Power Armor Provides Defesenses)

If it provides obvious powers, it is obvious that it provides those powers even before those powers are used (yes, you know that a gun has attack powers. Or that a staff to the face hurts).

A inobvious Focus:

Does not needs to reveal that it is a Focus (not any more than any other ring or cane in the world)

It is not clear that it provides powers, unless those powers are obvious.

It especially provides no info that it has obvious powers, before these powers have been used (the classical hidden attack weapon).

However, when you do use the obvious powers it still obvious where they come from.

It also doesn't measn the attack is invisible. Such a focus might be good for a surpirse move, but only for one use.