Gods with Off Switches vs. Loaded Guns. DC vs. Marvel in Character Design.

Cassandra

Re: Gods with Off Switches vs. Loaded Guns. DC vs. Marvel in Character Design.

At the risk of getting my a** burned stepping into what is seriously in danger of combusting into a flame war, I just want to point out that a lot of the arguments here seem to be based on differing perspectives. While, granted, word choice can be misleading I believe that noone has as of yet stated anything along the lines of "This build is the CORRECT build for such and such era hero". Its merely their build. Maybe their build cannot do everything that the comic version can do. Maybe its not even really representative of that character. It's just their build, possibly with some constraints that they chose to place on it, such as 250 character points. I dont believe its fair to require them to put any clarification on their build that its not meant to represent the true power level of the character, any more than it would be fair for them to try and require that you accept that build as "correct". Its a free country and they have the right to interpret the source material and the HERO system as they see fit. Arguing about whether they can or not is really a moot point anyway.

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't call it corrupted, especially since each of the changes you mentioned take place in a different universe.

As I've said, some characters, as well as some character concepts, have no place in a low level campaign. Superman is one of these.

Dr. Manhattan is a miserable.... erm... I can't actually use the word I want to use for him. Plenty of insanely powerful characters (who also will not fit in 250 points) have found cheer, happiness, and that mystical fun thing. Like Thor, are you going to try to tell me he wasn't having fun fighting all those frost giants? Dr. Manhattan was Captain Atom, if Captain Atom were nearly a suicidal depressive, and he honestly thought the future was set in stone.

That's patently false. I can think of literally hundreds of points of disadvantages that would still leave the character playable. A)Yes, what do you think the Justice League is? B)How is this a problem? You gather together big time heroes to deal with big time problems and fiction has provided us hundreds of cosmic villains.

I think Jimmy Olsen actually has a Contact: Superman 14-

Cost 7 Points

That denotes a chance of failure. I've never seen a comic book where Jimmy called for Superman and Superman failed to show up, unless it was one of those grimderp books.

Because you'd be written by a single writer who would have total narrative control over your character, his personality, and his actions.

Which is absolutely nothing like how a roleplaying game works.

Actually it would be because I'm still contributing and I don't have to do everything myself, which is a pleasant change of pace all things told.

Solution

But there will be times when Superman will have is hands full and not come right away.

Have you ever seen this painting? (Spoilered for size)

pipe.jpg

Sure, it's picture of a pipe, but the caption reads "This is not a pipe". In French, of course, but the point is, English-speakers use the same terminology whether they are talking about the Character in the comic book or the 250-point homage they made of him. They are not misrepresenting low-point characters as the "real" superman, it's just shorthand for "Here's as close as I could get to Superman built with "X" points, when "X" points falls way short of what would be required to even begin properly modeling Superman.

The sad fact is no representation of Superman can be accurate. He has no real existence beyond the confines of our craniums. He therefore cannot be measured in any way which would bring uniformity to the myriad versions presented in both official and unofficial formats. It may be hard for you to accept, but if there were a definitive version of him, it would have to have been created in cooperation with the only people with argument-ending authority on the subject of Superman: the friendly folks at DC comics.

Our Supermen are not Superman. Capisce?

When dealing with other people who fiddle with the nitty-gritty of such things, the people who do homages, tend to make it clear that it's a homage, either stating it outright, or by making it cartoony in some manner. The only thing cartoony about this, is the idea that someone would use this write-up. Plus, they could get a lot closer to building Superman at 250 points.

Superman exists on paper and in digital format, that's no more in our skulls than any human.

Then perhaps people should say "this is my Not-Superman", rather than saying "This is Superman".

Superman not showing up immediately drove a lot of Jimmy Olsen's plots.

FWIW, I tend to think that Jimmy has a lot in common with Johnny Thunder - they're both normals who get into wacky situations and can summon powerful beings.

Golden Age Superman

Val CHA Cost Roll Notes

50 STR 40 19- Lift 25 tons; 10d6 [5]

20 DEX 30 13- OCV: 7/DCV: 7

20 CON 20 13-

10 BODY 0 11-

10 INT 0 11- PER Roll 11-

10 EGO 0 11- ECV: 3

20 PRE 10 13- PRE Attack: 4d6

14 COM 2 12-

18 PD 8 Total: 18 PD (18 rPD)

18 ED 14 Total: 18 ED (18 rED)

4 SPD 10 Phases: 3, 6, 9, 12

14 REC 0

40 END 0

45 STUN 0 Total Characteristic Cost: 134

Movement: Running: 11"/88"

Superleap: 13"/104"

Swimming: 2"/4"

Cost Powers & Skills

30 50% Resistant Physical Damage Reduction: Nothing Less Than A Bursting Shell Can Penetrate His Skin

18 Damage Resistance (18 PD/18 ED): Nothing Less Than A Bursting Shell Can Penetrate His Skin

2 -1" Knockback Resistance: Superstrong, surefooted

14 Life Support: Invulnerable Alien Physiology

Immunity: All terrestrial diseases and biowarfare agents, Safe Environment: Character is safe in Intense Cold, Intense Heat.

5 Regeneration: Invulnerable Alien Physiology

Healing BODY 1d6 (Regeneration; 1 BODY per hour), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +½), Persistent (+½) (20 Active

Points); Self Only (-½), Extra Time + Increased Time Increment (1BODY/Hour; -2¼).

20 Superhuman Speed and Strength: Multipower, 20-point reserve

2u 1) Hurdle A Twenty-Story Building: Leaping +3" (13" forward, 7" upward), x8 Noncombat, Accurate. (18 points total)

2u 2) Faster Then An Express Train: Running +5" (11" total), x8 Noncombat. (20 points total)

2u 3) Smash Through: Tunnelling 1" through 6 DEF Material. (20 points total)

Perks & Skills

3 Acrobatics 13-

3 Breakfall 13-

3 Climbing 13-

3 Conversation 13-

1 KS: Who’s Who In The City 8-

2 Navigation (Land) 11-

2 PS: Reporter 11-

3 Streetwise 13-

1 Fringe Benefit: Press Pass

Total Powers & Skills Cost

250 Total Character Cost

150+ Disadvantages

15 DNPC: Lois, reporter for the Daily Star 11- (Normal)

10 Hunted: Police 8- (Less Pow, NCI, Capture/Kill)

15 Hunted: Ultra-Humanite (As Pow, NCI, Capture/Kill)

20 Psychological Limitation: Dedicated To Helping Those In Need (Common, Total)

20 Psychological Limitation: Pulp Hero's Code (Common, Total)

5 Rivalry: Lois (Professional)

15 Social Limitation: Secret ID (Clark Kent, reporter for the Daily Star) (Frequently, Major)

250 Total Disadvantage Points

No' date=' they built things that wish they were the source characters, while simultaneously slapping them in the proverbial face.[/quote']

I am sorry you're insulted for them, but I'm reasonably sure they are not stinging. If you want a bulletproof superman you can see the DC compilation in my sig. I build the 1000+ pt monstrosities.

To Blau' date=' I think that the Silver Age Superman would be a starting character, he's simply starting in the 1959 instead of 1938.[/quote']

Silver Age Superman is almost always portrayed as an experienced character.

There was an example of a starting character from Krypton in the Silver Age: Supergirl.

I did a "back of the envelope" draft of her the other day. She came in at ~480 points, before any fine tuning. If I bothered to take it further, I'd add a few things, cut out some others, and stick on some Limitations. I suspect I could get her into 450 points without any serious cheese. 600 would give a more combat effective version, to stop the whiners.

I am sorry you're insulted for them' date=' but I'm reasonably sure they are not stinging. If you want a bulletproof superman you can see the DC compilation in my sig. I build the 1000+ pt monstrosities.[/quote']I'd actually just like one that wouldn't die in a house fire.

I'm also not the only one saying it.

No, looks like there's maybe three. You're just the most dismissive and vocal. I also note you haven't posted builds and just want to put other people who down. Which is, again, frowned on around here.

I'd suggest finding another thread as this one offends you on some level and you're not going to make them stop posting.

But if you're enjoying yourself, disregard the advice, just try to keep it civil.

No, looks like there's maybe three. You're just the most dismissive and vocal. I also note you haven't posted builds and just want to put other people who down. Which is, again, frowned on around here.

I'd suggest finding another thread as this one offends you on some level and you're not going to make them stop posting.

But if you're enjoying yourself, disregard the advice, just try to keep it civil.

I have posted a build: Silver Age Jimmy Olsen at 250 points. I've been trying to figure out how to convert an HDC file to text while managing to not look like a bunch of random numbers and letters. I suppose I could just save a picture of it and post that, but I feel like that might be a bad way to go about it.

Look, everyone has a point a view, and in general I believe that most people's opinions have value. But I think that there is one universal truth that we can all agree on.

I'm always right.

(Then again I do have a EGO 30)

I have posted a build: Silver Age Jimmy Olsen at 250 points. I've been trying to figure out how to convert an HDC file to text while managing to not look like a bunch of random numbers and letters. I suppose I could just save a picture of it and post that' date=' but I feel like that might be a bad way to go about it.[/quote']

Oh! Well I can help you there. There is a few posting export templates...but I usually just used one of the RTF and copy paste.

I have posted a build: Silver Age Jimmy Olsen at 250 points. I've been trying to figure out how to convert an HDC file to text while managing to not look like a bunch of random numbers and letters. I suppose I could just save a picture of it and post that' date=' but I feel like that might be a bad way to go about it.[/quote']

If you can't work it out, just print to pdf and post that.