Has anyone tried doing an Hyborian/Conan game using Fantasy Hero

starblaze

Re: Has anyone tried doing an Hyborian/Conan game using Fantasy Hero

*Looks down on the thread from his throne of bones while paging through his latest REH acquisition. *

Just need to mark my spot and I'll have a few things to post later when work gives me a window...

~Rex

Curious Rex which one? I'm working through Sword Woman and other historical stories collection of R.E.H. myself.

So bluesguy what magic system are you using? When I was looking at running it I was giving serious thought to doing an "anti-magic" style campaign where basically anyone who was a sorceror was a villain...

Curious what you are doing

Basics are:

• There are 'two basic' levels of mastery when it comes to magic - apprentice/novice and master
  • Requires either a successful Magic or Faith roll
  • Incantation
  • Gestures
  • Knowledge Skill of 13- (INT based) is required for the school of magic that is studied
  • If a spell exceed 40 active points, each 5 points above 40 costs an addition 1 point of END. For spells which exceed 80 active points each 5 points above 80 costs an additional 2 points of END. This cannot be reduced. It also cannot be made into charges.

Apprentices/Novice also have the following limitations

• Side Effects – all spells will have a side effect that affects the spell caster.
  • Initially no spell can have more than 40 active points
  • Only one school of magic is available at a time

And for mages (not characters that get their power from a divine entity) they get to track LTE. And I use the 'harsher' set of rules. This keeps mages from blasting everything in sight because they figure "Oh I blew my spell roll - that just costs me some more END." Now it has a long term impact on the character.

I have limited the schools of magic. There are two schools of magic that are universally considered evil - necromancy and black magic. Outside of those two it is dependent on how the person who has magical ability uses it.

There is more information at Valdorian Age Rising Power on the Frontier

The party consists of three 'magic users':

• Ranger with some interesting 'spells' (thank you Steve for the Ranger Magic book) which in some ways don't 'feel' like magic but rather special abilities.
  • Priestess who has a pretty limited set of spells (her healing spell pretty much wipes her out because it has a 4d6 END drain (5pts recovered per hour). One time she used the spell 3x and slept for about 12 hours :-)
  • Sorcerer - lots of mentalist spells.

This is only my opinion, but one way to simulate the Hyborian Age would probably be to forbid PC spellcasters completely. It's been a while since I read the REH stories, but I think Conan ran across maybe one spellcaster that was not evil. It seems sorcery just corrupts the mind and soul in the Hyborean Age.

You can get a lot of mileage out of the characters being thieves and warriors, without a single spellcaster. It also makes it a little easier to come up with great villains. They can be advisors to petty kings or leaders of cities or regions themselves.

Curious Rex which one? I'm working through Sword Woman and other historical stories collection of R.E.H. myself.

Big pile of stuff from a yard sale, lot of collected editions and some older stuff. Few of the Jordan pastiche things which I already trashed. Pretty much all of the last set of Bundles from the last reprint. The Prize though really was a bunch of the old Savage Sword of Conan magazines. SCORE!

~Rex

• 4 weeks later...

someone should do a 6th edition update for the Hyborean barbarian. We had 4th and 5th edition versions on the message boards over the years. Why not a 6th?

I could migrate my 5e version to 6E.