Lighter Light Spell

Jas

I'm trying to put together some rudimentary spells for an apprentice's spellbook, and had hoped to compile them all into a single 10 point multipower. Unfortunately, one of the spells I wanted was a light spell, and while the real cost for just creating light using Images isn't bad after the -1 for To Create Light Only, it leaves the active cost entirely too high.

Anyone got any other ideas for a cheaper active cost way to create a source of light bright enough to read by?

Re: Lighter Light Spell

1D6 Fire Ball, gestures, incantation, visible to light, sound, feel. = 5 AP / 3 RP

I would say the minor light effect is inconsequential benefit. It would not dispel Darkness or other active powers, but would work fine to natural darkness's which are simply an absence of light/

Light is unfortunately a "buggy" thing in hero. But it should also not be underestimated - without light the characters are blind. They can't see foes and fight terrribly.

One idea I have is to allow the light to "fade" over range. Basically apply the Range Penalty on the Light bonus, until the bonus drops too 0.

i.e. a +4 Light with 1m³ size could illuminate up to 8m distance with "full power", 9-16m with +2, but would be useless at 17m and beyond.

Three ideas for alternative writeups for light:

1. Define "Light" as a seperate power. A lot of Powers from the book (growth, shrinking, density increase; Forcefield in 5E) are actually derived from other powers. They apply the advantages, then the limitations (usually noted in some box nearby) and take the resulting real cost as "base cost" for the power.

Example on how to calculate the power "Light":

Sight Group Images (+4), 22 AP, Only Light (-1), No Range (-1/2), 9 Real

Hence the Power "Light" will cost 9 Base Points, when it fills 1m³ with with +4 Light.

2. Light as Active Sight.

Senses are eitehr Active or Passive. Passive Senses require "something else" to be the source of signal. They can't detect something if there is no signal. Active Senses can detect passive objects as well as active ones. The downside of active senses is that they themself can be spotted.

Under that asumption "Light" is making your Sight an active Sense. We do have a cost for Sight (35 Points). And there is also the rule of "Work like alternative form of movement" being a +1/4 advantage. Running the numbers again Light would cost 9 Real Points.

3. Simply pick a price.

If you think 1 CP Base per 1m Range is okay, just go with that and be done. No reason to make things complicated.

Some characters are blind even in the light.

Interesting point - so what's a better choice? Flash isn't intended to always mean light - I mean, a poke in the eye is a Flash attack.

I'm leaning towards some manner of Change Environment or even a Transform at this point...

EDIT: and then I re-read Change Environment and am told explicitly not to use it for light! So, back to the drawing board on that idea... But a 1d6 minor transform (standard effect 1 BODY) would only be 5 active points, and could transform a tiny rock into a tiny glowing rock that gave a +2 to PER rolls, maybe?

As understood it you are the GM.

If not just ask the GM. Like I said in the beginning, Light in Hero is a somewhat "buggy" thing. At least for Fantasy Hero mages with Multipowers.

The only other idea I have would be:

Nightvision (5 points), Area of Effect (up too +1) or Useable on others (multipel Targets), Visible, Nonpersistent, Costs end to Maintain/Activate

Either you use this spell to just give everyone Nightvision or use the AoE variant to simulate a light spell. Everyone can "see" in normal darkness, but the effect is also visible.

As understood it you are the GM.

If not just ask the GM. Like I said in the beginning, Light in Hero is a somewhat "buggy" thing. At least for Fantasy Hero mages with Multipowers.

The only other idea I have would be:

Nightvision (5 points), Area of Effect (up too +1) or Useable on others (multipel Targets), Visible, Nonpersistent, Costs end to Maintain/Activate

Either you use this spell to just give everyone Nightvision or use the AoE variant to simulate a light spell. Everyone can "see" in normal darkness, but the effect is also visible.

I like this, less than 10 active points and only 5 real points, and it fits the HERO mold pretty well.

• 2 weeks later...

I do wish there was a better mechanic for it. Was it this way in 5e and 4e as well? I don't remember enough of the original Champions! to know.

Given that it grants the same +4 against darkness penalties to your enemies, and explicitly doesn't counteract the Darkness power, it feels like it ought to be a wash.

More to the point, I think the smart wizard will simply learn a Night Eyes spell instead, to keep himself and his comrades from being easy targets.

It was "buggy" in fifth edition too.

I favor the Limited Flash and Night Vision: Area solutions personally.

Or make it a 1 pt cantrip and be done with it.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary wants to illuminate the opposition