Speedster building question

Gary Ciaramella

I am building a rather ridiculously fast power for a speedster... the idea was to be able to run around the world in a single phase. The world is 40,233.6km in diameter, so it is rather tidy to purchase the power as 5" Flight, Megascale (1" = 10,000km; +1 1/4), Can Be Scaled Down: 1" = 1km (+1/4), Only In Contact With A Surface (-1/4). Now the problem is, I want to place noncombat acceleration/deceleration on it AND no noncombat movement. I do not want noncombat movement because it would give him a noncombat multiplier, doubling his already ridiculous speed. So does no noncombat movement cancel out noncombat acc/dec?

I think I could dodge the entire issue by buying the Megascale and instead of taking it as 1" = 10,000km I could limit it as 1" = 5,000km and then when I went noncombat I would run 10" and that would make up the differance. I do not play speedsters usually so I am not real familiar with the movement rules, would noncombat ACC/DEC let me get to my full speed and make it all the way around the world in that single 10" move?

I hope this rambling post doesnt sound too stupid... :)

The acceleration and deceleration would take time but it to is done in Megascale. I don't think you can do both and still run 1/2 way across the world in a single phase, i.e. you are burning some of your speed in slowing your momentum so it prevents you from doing a full move. Atleast this is true so far as a real world simulation sense.

You could just by it as Megascale teleport with a Needs to accelerate, decelerate limitation on it.

• 7 years later...

Re: Speedster building question

I also have a question regarding a megascale speedster.

I have STR 20, Running 50m (Combat Speed) and Megascale 1m = 1km (certainly quite a bit slower then the above poster, lol) and we are using 6th Edition Rules.

So, if I do a Move By attack (aka a hit and run) how do I determine the damage of the attack?

The sheet tells me STR/2 +v/10, but does this mean that assuming I wish to hit a target at the mid point of my run I will move 25m, HIT and then move a further 25m, or does it mean I can move 2500m, HIT and then run a further 2500m?

So my damage could potentially be either STR/2 = 10 + v/10 (25/10 = 2.5 rounded down to 2) = 12d6 damage or 12 damage?? OR it could be STR/2 = 10 + v/10 (2500/10 = 250) = 252d6 or 252 damage??? Which quite frankly seems a bit over the top....

It's quite important that I find out as I am supposed to be the GM and I quite like the idea of megascale speed, but obviously I do not want to be obliterating my villian nor one-shotting any of the party members.

I have searched for info like this but opinion seems to be very divided.. I am really just asking about the maths rather then if I should allow it or not =D

Re: Speedster building question

I also have a question regarding a megascale speedster.

I have STR 20, Running 50m (Combat Speed) and Megascale 1m = 1km (certainly quite a bit slower then the above poster, lol) and we are using 6th Edition Rules.

So, if I do a Move By attack (aka a hit and run) how do I determine the damage of the attack?

The sheet tells me STR/2 +v/10, but does this mean that assuming I wish to hit a target at the mid point of my run I will move 25m, HIT and then move a further 25m, or does it mean I can move 2500m, HIT and then run a further 2500m?

So my damage could potentially be either STR/2 = 10 + v/10 (25/10 = 2.5 rounded down to 2) = 12d6 damage or 12 damage?? OR it could be STR/2 = 10 + v/10 (2500/10 = 250) = 252d6 or 252 damage??? Which quite frankly seems a bit over the top....

It's quite important that I find out as I am supposed to be the GM and I quite like the idea of megascale speed, but obviously I do not want to be obliterating my villian nor one-shotting any of the party members.

I have searched for info like this but opinion seems to be very divided.. I am really just asking about the maths rather then if I should allow it or not =D

STR/2 means 1/2 of the damage the character would do with STR alone (20 STR = 4d6 Strike)

Even if only performing a Half-move Move-Thru or Move-By, as long as the character has room to accelerate they can still reach top combat velocity for damage purposes.

So in your example the character would do 2d6 for STR + 5d6 for movement (total= 7d6).

Megascale is just a form of non-combat movement (it's best thought of as speed of 'plot') and isn't normally used for combat damage calculations.

Follow the 2nd link in my sig below to see my namesake character (a speedster-brick with 5e versions of move-by and move-through damage calculations on the character).

Follow the last link for my starting version of Flash (the FIRST speedster).