Superhero settings vs People with Powers settings

phoenix240

Re: Superhero settings vs People with Powers settings

Except of course then there's no story. That's why there are two basic plotlines to PwP stories. One is, "superhumans living in hiding try to fight off the evil government/corporation looking to imprison/enslave them". The other is, "Superhumans living in hiding use their powers to assault and rob humans".

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've found the plots in the People with Powers games I've been in have tended to be more personal and soap opera: dealing with relationships, family issues and even crime but on a level that relates more to the real world than the more fanciful exploits of comic books superheroes as the characters apply their powers to their lives.

PwP games also tend to deal with the impact of powers on the world more than most of full blown comic games which IME assume the world has largely already adapted to superhumans. New technologies, unusual abilities and other matters have had more of a noteworthy impact.

Guest steamteck

I've found the plots in the People with Powers games I've been in have tended to be more personal and soap opera: dealing with relationships, family issues and even crime but on a level that relates more to the real world than the more fanciful exploits of comic books superheroes as the characters apply their powers to their lives.

PwP games also tend to deal with the impact of powers on the world more than most of full blown comic games which IME assume the world has largely already adapted to superhumans. New technologies, unusual abilities and other matters have had more of a noteworthy impact.

I manage to run a superhero world with almost all those elements and it still be larger than life and costumed. That's one of the reasons my campaigns are always on a ficticious world so there can be impact. I run like my fantasy or SF game just with Supers. But I do understand your point. Now if instead of people with powers we had Pulp heroes with powers, it would be closer to my ideals

I must confess relatibilty is almost a closes in a little dive out of town element for me. I can relate to farmboy Superman trying to live up to his ideals or Thor and his family issues but always stiving to keep his noblilty more than I can someone I feel morally superior to.

I manage to run a superhero world with almost all those elements and it still be larger than life and costumed. That's one of the reasons my campaigns are always on a ficticious world so there can be impact. I run like my fantasy or SF game just with Supers. But I do understand your point. Now if instead of people with powers we had Pulp heroes with powers, it would be closer to my ideals

I must confess relatibilty is almost a closes in a little dive out of town element for me. I can relate to farmboy Superman trying to live up to his ideals or Thor and his family issues but always stiving to keep his noblilty more than I can someone I feel morally superior to.

pulp heroes with power nice idea

• 3 weeks later...

The difference, as I see it, is all to do with consequences. In a superhero genre, Batman and Spiderman fight crime until the sun burns out and there are always more crime bosses, super villains and myriad problems to face.

People with powers realize that, long term this gets absurd, and focus on the initial changes, the impact of powers on a normal life, and usually some overplot that gives the characters something to fight against. Really, pwp is the same genre done more gritty, personal and .... I can't think about the last quality.

in terms of an rpg, it's about power level, and how serious the GM feels.

I've always felt that PWP stories have less-rubbery science and less-overt heroes and villains. The heroes and villains are largely unknown to the general populace. The actual existence of powers is either completely unknown outside the powered community or outsiders hold "superpowers" in the same sort of skeptical disdain as the Loch-Ness Monster, Sasquatch, or the Abominable Snowman. There may be some unpowered "true-believers" who have met or at least heard about these mysterious individuals with superpowers, along with some opportunists who don't believe in anything but an opportunity to sell powers-related merchandise (books, "artifacts", seminars, etc., just like any good moneymaking cult).

Superhero settings usually include more fantastic origins than PWP. How many PWP stories feature someone who is transformed by a nuclear explosion (Hulk), Rocketed to Earth from a Dying Civilization (Superman), or a "god" (Thor). Also I think Supers are definitely in the "wear distinctive outfit" camp, whereas in a PWP setting, everyone wears pretty-much what normal people might under similar circumstances.

Another thing: in the majority of Superheroic settings*, it's generally agreed that superpowers are beneficial to society in some way despite the loose cannons, while in PWP settings, the jury is either still out as to whether powered people cause less harm than they prevent.

*IME. YMMV. ;)