Superhero settings vs People with Powers settings

phoenix240

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Superhero settings vs People with Powers settings

Spandex

While that answer seems simplistic (and is probably a bit tongue-in-cheek) ;) , it actually does touch on an element I think is significant. Distinctive costumes and code names help put the "super" into superheroes and villains. They add to the characters' larger-than-life images and symbolic qualities. Supers are more than just the man (or woman) on the street with unusual gifts; they represent the best and the worst in human possibility, ideals to aspire to or evils to terrify us, and the guises and names they choose drive that point home to anyone who encounters them. Without the super trappings, "people with powers" are and come across as simply humans like us, with all our flaws and contradictions, given personal abilities which merely substitute for the wealth, fame and social prominence, political authority, followers, weapons, or all the other means by which people already gain power over others in the real world.

Related to the above; openness vs. secrecy. In a Superhero setting, the existence of super-humans is both widely known and, usually, socially accepted. When people gain powers, they put on colorful costumes and go out to adventure in the public eye. In a People with Powers setting, most of the population have no idea these super-humans are out there. And when someone does find out, the response is usually disbeliefe, panic, or a desire to expose the "inhuman monster." When people in thses settings gain powers, they first tyr to figure out the best way to hide them, and then use them in secret to advance their own personal agenda.

1. Spandex.

2. Openly Acknowledged Powers

From a plot-mechanical sort of view, a lot of urban fantasy characters (weres, vampires, witches, mages, cyborgs, zombies, psychics, etc) are as powerful as street-level supers, if not some mainstream superheroes. They have "powers and abilities far beyond those of mortal men" and fight similarly-powered opponents. Save that it all takes place mostly in the shadows, where the average man in the street probably doesn't know they exist, and that they're all wearing leather pants civvies, they might as well be superheroes.

But those two things make a big difference.

In terms of mood and theme I'd say superhero setting owe more to the mythic roots of comics: legends, tall tales and High Fantasy while People with Powers take more from the science fiction aspect (or in the case of urban fantasy, Low Fantasy or Horror in some cases).

Also most of the people with powers settings, the characters tend to be one trick ponies. They have one power and that's it. In Superheroic settings you tend to see heroes that have suites of powers, nearly no "one trick Ponies". Also the Power levels feel different. For the most part People with powers still tend to be about as powerful as people with guns. In a regular supers campaign it's usual for the heroes to be more powerful than people with guns.

People with Powers are still people. They are allowed to have biases and faults. They don't have to be role models, and aren't required to always act for the good of society. They are allowed to use weapons that might actually hurt someone, or even (gasp!) kill the opponent. The story is about the person, not about the power, and there is rarely a message involved. The plot is more important than the visual aspect, so showy powers and costumes are rarely seen.

Superheroes are virtues with a human face. Their message (do not kill, help others, treat all equally, etc) is often more important than their personality. Their power, and how they use it, is more important to the story than what is going on in their lives, or in the world around them. They like to fight and get into combat, but cannot handle actually hurting anyone. The visual component is more important than the plot, and costumes and showy powers are the norm.

I think most of my settings fall somewhere in the middle with many of the surface trappings of superhero comics (code names, costumes, etc), some of the conventions but with a more "human" face to the characters. They're human (spiritually if not biologically. :D), have failing, personal goals, etc and aren't perfect people by any stretch though they do try to do good and be heroes (as they define it in some cases) and have personal lives that influence, interfere and motivate their adventuring lives.There's plot and there's spectacle. I like to think in roughly even amounts.

Guest steamteck

People with Powers are still people. They are allowed to have biases and faults. They don't have to be role models, and aren't required to always act for the good of society. They are allowed to use weapons that might actually hurt someone, or even (gasp!) kill the opponent. The story is about the person, not about the power, and there is rarely a message involved. The plot is more important than the visual aspect, so showy powers and costumes are rarely seen.

Superheroes are virtues with a human face. Their message (do not kill, help others, treat all equally, etc) is often more important than their personality. Their power, and how they use it, is more important to the story than what is going on in their lives, or in the world around them. They like to fight and get into combat, but cannot handle actually hurting anyone. The visual component is more important than the plot, and costumes and showy powers are the norm.

So all Superheroes are high silver age to you? I have to admit I have a bias towards stories about larger than heroes rather than just folks. That's where so many people with powers falls down for me. So does Iron age comics.

Guest steamteck

I think most of my settings fall somewhere in the middle with many of the surface trappings of superhero comics (code names' date=' costumes, etc), some of the conventions but with a more "human" face to the characters. They're human (spiritually if not biologically. :D), have failing, personal goals, etc and aren't perfect people by any stretch though they do try to do good and be heroes (as they define it in some cases) and have personal lives that influence, interfere and motivate their adventuring lives.There's plot and there's spectacle. I like to think in roughly even amounts.[/quote']

Sounds like a superhero setting to me. Not silver age but more bronzey.

In your opinion what sets a "People with Powers" setting apart from a more traditional "Superhero" setting?

PwP settings eschew costumes, and they frequently are more about committing crime than fighting it. They will sometimes fight worse bad guys but only because those bad guys are threatening them and those they personally care about. In short, non-spandex supervillain campaigns.

One of the things I like about a People with Powers setup is that you don't have to really look at any power level. For the most part the One power per person rule applies, but balance considerations really SHOULD go out the window with this kind of thing. Of course with one-dimensional powersets it really takes a good GM and Players to breath both life and depth into their characters.

People with powers tends to come from a post-modern, deconstructive perspective. Of course, once upon a time, 60s Marvel comics could arguably be classified the same for its time.when you contrast it with the modernistic, post-pulp storytelling of its peers. That means there its more to it to me.

People with Powers tend to face more mundane, less superpowered threats and enemies. When they do, the villains usually ate no more "enlightened" about superpowers than the heroes. I say "enlightened" in the sense that in superhero stories, that someone had superpowers isn't what makes them special to their peers - they don't dwell on that simple premise where the existence if superpowers "in the real world" is what usually drives PwP settings.

That's off the top of my head.

Besides what was mentioned, the motivation for going out and doing good deeds is different. Super heroes tend to be genuinely more altruistic where the mere presence of powers is sufficient to go and save the world. Whereas, people with power are usually a little more selfishly motivated. The frequently have to cajoled and manipulated into heroism or they are merely responding to a personal hurt and the fact that they take down bad guys is just a bonus as they work out their pain.

Don't forget the role of the authorities.

Superheroes tend to range from openly supported and popular with the government and media to a few loners and antiheroes that operate on the fringe.

People with powers are lucky to have the backing of a shadowy organization and are usually hiding out from the government and media.

People with powers tends to come from a post-modern, deconstructive perspective. Of course, once upon a time, 60s Marvel comics could arguably be classified the same for its time.when you contrast it with the modernistic, post-pulp storytelling of its peers. That means there its more to it to me.

People with Powers tend to face more mundane, less superpowered threats and enemies. When they do, the villains usually ate no more "enlightened" about superpowers than the heroes. I say "enlightened" in the sense that in superhero stories, that someone had superpowers isn't what makes them special to their peers - they don't dwell on that simple premise where the existence if superpowers "in the real world" is what usually drives PwP settings.

That's off the top of my head.

in other words the tv take on super hero shows

Superheroes must have a superhero name and a costume. They must be publicly know and accepted, if not universally approved of.

Examples of Superhero TV Shows are Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash.

People with Powers have superhuman abilities with limitations (in game terms Concentration, Activation/Burnout Rolls, Incantations, Gestures, etc.), they were normal clothes, don't have alternate identities, and are generally unknown as far as the public is concerned.

Examples of People with Powers TV shows are The Six Million Dollar Man, The Bionic Woman, Buffy The Vampire Slayer, Birds of Prey.

The Greatest American Hero is a mix of the two as he wears a costume, but the public is unaware that he exist.

Superheroes must have a superhero name and a costume. They must be publicly know and accepted, if not universally approved of.

Examples of Superhero TV Shows are Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash.

People with Powers have superhuman abilities with limitations (in game terms Concentration, Activation/Burnout Rolls, Incantations, Gestures, etc.), they were normal clothes, don't have alternate identities, and are generally unknown as far as the public is concerned.

Examples of People with Powers TV shows are The Six Million Dollar Man, The Bionic Woman, Buffy The Vampire Slayer, Birds of Prey.

None of those shows have characters who have powers with limitations and they're still altruistic people who fight crime, often with a pseudonym. I'd say they're superheros. ANd Huntress had a costume.

Actually now that I think about there are several quite distinct categories (with a few crossovers series). First of all there's the super-spy show. The lead characters got powers thrust upon them, but now they work for the government and fight crime and foreign agents. They do not wear costumes, and use their real names. This includes Six-Million Dollar Man, Chuck, Jake 2.0, Invisible Man, Gemini Man, Man From Atlantis.

Then there's the monster show. At least one of the characters has supernatural powers and hunts (and usually kills) members of the supernatural community who prey on human beings. Buffy, Supernatural, Grimm, Angel, Charmed.

And then there is the actual "People with Powers" campaign. They have a cast who have powers, but they use their powers to take advantage of others, conceal their existence and fight for themselves and those who are closest to them when threatened. One of them may want to fight crime, but of course the others regard him an idiot and either dismiss him or want to stop him. Heroes, Misfits, Almighty Johnsons, Haven

Smallville and Alphas are hybrids with Monster and Super Agent respectively.

Batgirl had a costume. Black Canary's lack of costume, and her daughter not having the canary cry was a big problem with the Bird's of Prey. Huntress may have had a "costume", but is wasn't exactly a costume.

I do agree about the difference between super-spy and monster shows. You forget from the latter list Designing Women.