Power damage when character gets more angry?

Theros

I am trying to build a power where damage of power is not controlled by the player.

Idea: Power will be triggered when character gets angry. Damage of power increases maximum of two degrees from starting level and can be only controlled with succesfull EGO roll.

This character should burst into flames and intensity of flames will increase when she gets more angry.

3 Step process:

1. Build base power with some type of "Uncontrolled" Limitation.

2. Build a separate or Naked buy-off of the "Uncontrolled" Limitation.

3. Apply some type of Requires a Roll Limitation (Skill or Ego) to the Naked buy-off.

Now the character's ability to 'control' their power is clearly defined and separate from their actual 'power'.

I am trying to build a power where damage of power is not controlled by the player.

Idea: Power will be triggered when character gets angry. Damage of power increases maximum of two degrees from starting level and can be only controlled with succesfull EGO roll.

This character should burst into flames and intensity of flames will increase when she gets more angry.

Okay "Can only be controlled with successful EGO roll", what are you wanting to be controlled?

Does an EGO roll allow the character to add to the power whether they are angry or not? That's limited power with a naked buyoff of the limitation governed by a RSR.Example:

+2d6 Blast (10 AP), Only When Enraged (-1) 5 RC PLUS

Naked Buyoff of the Only When Enraged above (5 AP), RSR Ego Roll (-1/2) 3 RC

Total Cost: 8 RC (Note: this is effectively the build that Hyper-man suggested)

Does the EGO roll affect whether the extra power HAS to be used or not? (IE the player normally always has to add the 2d6, but with an EGO roll can prevent the 2d6 from being added).

That's more difficult to simulate. The rules for Enrage state that the player will use their powers at full strength (which would include the extra enraged only damage) If you want a Successful Ego roll to STOP the use of the Enraged power levels RAW that gets kind of complicated (a Triggered Self Only Suppress is the only way I can think of at the moment)

+2d6 Blast (10 AP), Only When Enraged (-1), 5 RC PLUS

Suppress Blast 3d6 (SER 9 AP), Trigger (When Enraged: No Time, Doesn't Control Activation, Zero phase to reset, +1/2) 45 AP Costs End to Maintain (-1/2), Self Only (-1), RSR Ego Roll (-1/2) 15 RC

Total Cost 20 RC

But that construct is rather odd (the "buyoff" of the power is 3 times as expensive as the bonus power is) so I would probably talk to your GM about some form of custom limitation allowing you to have the ability to turn it off with an Ego Roll.

If you are wanting to control something else that is probably all part of the "when character gets angry" concept and would fall under an Enraged/Berserk Complication so you would just buy the extra damage with the Only When Enraged limitation (Enraged already has a roll for "coming out of Enraged")

Also note that if you do not use Enrage the limitation "Only when Angry" isn't worth much (probably -0) unless there is some way to control whether or not the player gets Angry. If you simply want the Ego Roll to determine whether she is getting Angry or not just use RSR Ego Roll (-1/2) as the limitation for the extra damage.

I need to ask for Clarification here:

Not under Player Control or not under Character Control.

I have long had the supiscion that Hulks transformation while not under Banner (the Characters) control would be considered under the Players Control. It just happens way to conveniently all the time.

The same can be said about jsut about any other Character with "uncontrollable" powers. Because no mater how little it is under Character control, it is still under Author Control. And in a RPG the Player is the Author of a Character (see Rule 1).

I once thought up a power where a second personality/powers set takes over (or at least tries too):

400 Point Multiform, 80 AP; Requires a roll, Extra Time (Full Phase), Costs Endurance to Activate (maybe also Charges).

I (the player) decide when this powers is activated. It costs a full phase to use and some endurance. The requried roll is the "original" Character getting in the way/fighting it/etc.

If the roll succeeds I get to play the alternate Character. If not the original fought it off but lost a phase (and some end) doing it.

From a Roleplaying perspective it is a secondary, uncontrollable Personality trying to take over. The original Character "Zones out for a Moment". If he fights it off, he notices that he is weaker afterwards. If not the alternate Personality burst forth for some time.

The original Character can angst about it, try to deny it, try to supress it and ultiamtively try to control it.

Best part: once I get to let the Character control it, it is just "buying off Complcaitions/Limitations". Maybe switching out a few Complications/Personaliy Traits on the alternate form to be closer to the original Character.

I don't want a PLAYER to control power. Idea is so that character can try to get his/her rage to control, but when rage is on it is uncontrollable from power.

Lets make simple, non game mechanic, description.

Character A has normal attack power which radiates heat. Then someone insults character and he is not able to gain control over his feelings. Damage of heat radiation increases from original damage of 4d6 to 6d6. Then...someone makes a big mistake and he insults character more badly some how. Character mood changes and he goes to rage. Then damage increases to 8d6. Character has difficulties to gain control over his power.

Summa summarun: More angry, more damage.

Player cannot limit character's power, when character gets angry...so even player wants to limit power somehow, he is not able to. It is always used at "full force".

I don't want a PLAYER to control power. Idea is so that character can try to get his/her rage to control, but when rage is on it is uncontrollable from power.

Lets make simple, non game mechanic, description.

Character A has normal attack power which radiates heat. Then someone insults character and he is not able to gain control over his feelings. Damage of heat radiation increases from original damage of 4d6 to 6d6. Then...someone makes a big mistake and he insults character more badly some how. Character mood changes and he goes to rage. Then damage increases to 8d6. Character has difficulties to gain control over his power.

Summa summarun: More angry, more damage.

Player cannot limit character's power, when character gets angry...so even player wants to limit power somehow, he is not able to. It is always used at "full force".

Can the player choose to not use the power at all while enraged?

If not this sounds exactly like a Enraged Complication mixed with some +XD6, Only while Enraged. Enraged means he looses control over himself and has to attack with "his best attack, at full force". (Berserk adds anotehr level, with him having no option to ignore allies in his target selection anymore, but otherwise works the same).

If he can, there is little limitation value. Because being able to choose to not use the power, means he can choose to not use the extra dice.

In any case what you describe might sound good in fiction/your imagination, but could be unfeasible/unpractical in a RPG.

If there is no gamerule in place to define when the Character is enraged, there is just too much uncertinty to get you a value on anything.

You might also consider an "Easily Angered" Psych Lim instead of Berserk. Make sure your player knows that if he goes this route he knows that you may be calling on EGO rolls frequently and that you both spell out exactly what "angered" means to the player (This is basically Enraged but based off of EGO instead of a flat roll if you want changes in his EGO value to affect how well he can control his rage, it also allows you to change exactly what happens when he is "Angry" while staying RAW).