Western Shores

Guest poorknight1

Originally posted by Starwolf

I always liked Kulthea (of Shadow World fame) it is very detailed and with a little work (and some provided Hero conversions) it is a great backdrop for Fantasy Hero. I am also partial to Krynn from Dragonlance.

Ewwwwwwww, no. Sorry, have to disagree with you on all points. ;)

Originally posted by Bartman

I hate to pick a comment from an excellent post, but I have must defend Tolkien on a -14. ;)

Part of the reason ME feels rather small is it actually is pretty small. None of the action takes place south of Rome, north of Hamburg, west of London, or east of Belgrade. If you were to take a train from London to Belgrade you would probably see less variation in terrain then Tolkien actually crammed into his story. Here is a map if ME with an overlay of Europe.

While I love Tolkein, I do think his adventuring areas are pretty homogeneous. If you study the criticism on the Lord of the Rings, you will see that he did follow one mythological schema in building his world: Celtic, Nordic mix.

But I do love the map. ;)

Originally posted by Alcamtar

Arg! I bought a used Greyhawk boxed set, but when I opened it, it only had the eastern map! The darn things are too expensive nowadays to collect, though. I wish I hadn't lost my original boxed set. I think my dad tossed it a dumpster or something while I was away at college! >:(

Try the Living Greyhawk Gazetter. ;) I'm a Verbobonc fan, I can't get enough of Elemental Evil. :D

I agree about the GH maps having a realistic feel. The FR maps always struck me as extremely haphazard, dotted with tiny unconnected mountains, hills, forests, and other stuff, not to mention strangely shaped bodies of water. That, and a lack of clear political boundaries or natural settlement patterns. Okay I admit it, I hate the FR politics and geography. :)

Oooooooooo, Silverymoon area is very nice. But Generally I think you are right, the topography is either too heterogeneous, or uninteresting.

Regarding the WESTERN SHORES, I actually like it a lot. I thought that the "cold war" was kind of trite, the "evil kingdom" seemed rather wooden, and the daemon's cleft thing was cheesy... but I rather liked all the other lands. In particular, I like Lantern Town, Irolo, Weyrcliff, Zylistan, and the pirates. Ambria was okay.

Uuuuuuuuum, I didn't like Western Shores, at all. I think Hero Games does Champions well, and creates quality genre monsters and villians for other genres, but the settings just leave me cold so far.

Originally posted by Bartman

Got any reason not to just pick up Forgotten Realms and adapt it? Nope.

Yes, I sersiously disliked Forgotten Realms, still do. If I was going to translate a world with all that stuff I'd convert the Known World/Mystara setting, the one they used to test al the ideas they eventually put into Greyhawk, Forgotten Realms, etc.

Originally posted by Starwolf

I always liked Kulthea (of Shadow World fame) it is very detailed and with a little work (and some provided Hero conversions) it is a great backdrop for Fantasy Hero. I am also partial to Krynn from Dragonlance.

I liked some things about it, and bought several of the modules and sourcebooks. Mostly I think I just liked being able to buy stuff statted for Fantasy Hero off the shelf! :-)

But I did like the Navigators, and the brooding feel of the world. The list of herbs was cool, and the Lords of Orhan were my first exposure to eye-popping power in Fantasy Hero. The whole "island world" thing didn't appeal so much though.

I hate Dragonlance. Not sure why, it just rubs me wrong.

WFRP Old World... nice maps, great atmosphere, cool names. I like it a lot.

Mike

There's really nothing wrong with adapting something from another world to your world, or mixing and matching different campaigns to make your own setting. I've done both these things, and they do work. If I like elements from Harn and Castle Falkensein, I try to find a way to incorporate them into my campaign after doing whatever modifications are necessary. I'm already doing it for my current campaign, since it's so hard to find a fantasy adventure without any magic in it.