CP cost when "upgrading power"?

Theros

Lets take an example (this is to my midnight conversion project, but helps others too I think).

Character has this kind of power (is it done right way btw?)

Freedom of Movement: Desolification (40 active points), Affects Physical World (+2), Cannot Pass Through the Objects (- ½ ), Doesn’t Protect Against Damage (-1), Only Protects against Grapple (-1), Only Protects against Movement Impairing Environment effects and spells (-1), Usable once Per Day (-2) for 1 Turn (-1 ¼). CP: 16

Idea is that character using that power cannot be affected by any movement impairing power, spell or grapple. Character can also fight with swinging weapons under water without difficulties during the one turn, which power lasts.

Then...Character wants to buy "second step" of this power, where it lasts 2 turns, but limitation is based only on number of turns, not to Usable per Day limitation.

Freedom of Movement: Desolification (40 active points), Affects Physical World (+2), Cannot Pass Through the Objects (- ½ ), Doesn’t Protect Against Damage (-1), Only Protects against Grapple (-1), Only Protects against Movement Impairing Environment effects and spells (-1), Usable Twice per Day (-1 1/2 ) for 1 Turn (-1 ¼) . CP: 17

Next question...is there any way to create power so that character can use one or two rounds of it and activation is zero action?

You may want to check your math.  I see an Active Cost of 120 (40 with +2) for both.

1st - A total of -6.75 for a Real Cost of 15

2nd - A total of -5.25 for a Real Cost of 19

ack!!. i messed up on the 2nd one as well....

this is why i use hero designer!

Edited by Hyper-Man

Character has this kind of power (is it done right way btw?)

Freedom of Movement: Desolification (40 active points), Affects Physical World (+2), Cannot Pass Through the Objects (- ½ ), Doesn’t Protect Against Damage (-1), Only Protects against Grapple (-1), Only Protects against Movement Impairing Environment effects and spells (-1), Usable once Per Day (-2) for 1 Turn (-1 ¼). CP: 16

You're also stacking "Only Protects against Grapple" and "Only Protects against Movement Impairing Environment" as if combining these two made the Power MORE Limited. Combining them makes it LESS Limited.

In other words, a Power that "Only Protects against Grapple" is MORE Limited and should be CHEAPER than one that does that PLUS also "Protects against Movement Impairing etc." You should combine these into a single Limitation. Personally I'd put it at -1 because I'd rate either of the Limitations you used as -2 if used alone.

What you want for the "Usable X times per Day for Y amount of time" is the Limitation Continuing Charges. I believe it would be -1 1/4 for 1 charge for 1 Turn, and -1 for 2 charges for 1 turn each.

Of course that same -1 Limitation could get you 1 charge for 1 minute, but you may not want to let a player take that. That would also mean the character could only activate the power once, whereas taking 2 charges means it could be used two separate times during the day, for up to 1 turn each.

"Affects Physical World" is not an Advantage for Desolidification,but for other powers you mean to use while desolidified. But when you're using a Desolidification that doesn't protect from damage or is otherwise heavily limited, it's common to "handwave" that rule and let the character's other powers work normally.

Lucius Alexander

Invisible Desolid Transdimensional Palindromedary

It's one of those absolute defenses against otherwise absolute Attacks from D&D whose Translation never quite works.

First, here is the spell:

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Freedom_of_Movement

Second we have to see how the respective powers are build, before we can look how to defened agaisnt them:

Paralysis: There is a variant of Entangle, Does not Takes Damage From attacks (+1 version) wich fit's that bill best. Most Paralysis Spells work against Will-Save, so "Does not takes Damage (only EGO Roll; +1) would seem apropirate. The counter would be extra EGO, only to break those Entangles (see Grapple Defense below).

Solid Fog: Change Environment (reduced movement, OCV, DCV, Sight Peception penalties) Change Environment can be overcome with Environmental Movement and Special Senses.

Web: Entangle, Continous Effect, Area of Effect. Extra STR, Teleport and Desolid would work against this - both passig through and getting out. As would extra STR (see grapple defense below).

Slow: Propably Drain SPD with some Drain OCV/DCV thrown in for good measure. Heal or Aid on affected Characteristics could coutner this.

Underwater Penalties:

6E2 158-169 deals in detail with underwater penalties (including those for weapon use). Environmental Movement and Penalty Skill Levels are designed to coutner those.

Grapple:

The one thing in 6E that can make Gappling a non-issue are relative STR scores. You can always make a Casual STR check to break a Grab, as 0-Phase action. If that one fails you can still make your normal STR check (half phase action). You can even do your Casual STR as an reaction to an enemies Grapple attempt (that is HERO's grapple defense Roll).

Some of the APG's sugest to expand this free, reactional, casual STR towards Entangles, if palyers start throwing a lot of 1D6, min PD/ED entangles around (wich could reduce DC until the character has a phase and can easily casual STR out of it).

"Extra STR, only for casual STR rolls to break Entangles and Grabs" might fit this aspect best.

Desolid and Teleport can both help against most of those effects, but neither can truly help aginst all.
Desolid is extra hard to use, as it has Defense Properties in addition to effectively "traceless, unlimited PD tunneling". Plus Invisilibilty to Touch.

Both cannot get you "out" of some Paralysis that "sticks" to the mind (like Paralysis Spells vs Willpower).

That truly is hard one...

I think that power should negate following: Grapple, Entagle Spell, if character is tied with rope (similar to successful Contortionist check) and water/heavy snow effects to fighting and movement for duration of power. I try to covert powers to fit to Hero System, as I use Hero System spells as well.

A-nope.

Hmmm...so if character has -1 limitation in some power, I should divide active point cost by 1 or 2?

When I should add that -1 to limitations?

Actually if there aren't that additional -1, real point cost of the power will be higher with -1/2 limitation.

In my power example "A" 120 / (6,75+1) = 15,48 ~15

And in my example "B" 120 / (7,25+1) = 16,55 ~ 17