Can you help you cut this character down to only 400 points ?

Basic204

So I have been building this character for a bit and got him just to were I like him but I need to get him to 400 points and I'm looking for places to cut on the character that I can get later on with XP. 

I need to lose 119 points. Also trying to come up with a cool name for this guy. Thinking about Gear shift or something being he can warp space. Anyway. Yea I hoping someone whho is not attachted to this character can help me cut it down just right to get it to 400 points.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4ufhwmp5sHLanRQZHVmY0k5cDA/edit?usp=sharing

Superhero Alex Johnson updated 3.pdf

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you aware that this character will have an INT of zero whenever using full DCV? In fact, technically if it moves more than a few steps its INT drops to 0.

Does this character have any kind of origin or background?

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary says it doesn't need points shaved off, it needs to be razed and rebuilt.

I'm confused why would his INT drop to zero ?

I'm still learning the system. 

As for a background. 

Alex was a tech guy for the NSA before quitting after when stuff about Edward Snowden came out he got fired because of budget cuts. He started working for his friend Megan Marco at her company. Its small little start up that builds custom tech people want. Being he is pretty good at inventing and building stuff she took him in really quickly. Alex always wanted to be a superhero so he has for years tried to build a super suit but no money so its not even a prototype yet but even so he tired to be a hero by helping people. He got his powers one night when he was just in his apartment sleeping. Unknown to Alex there was a Cult that had be working on a ritual to summon there extra dimensional god into the world for century's but that's a very long time and well they got there math a bit wrong for were the center of there ritual was. The center of this ritual happen to be  Alex's room right down to were he was sleeping in his bed. When they did the ritual being the math was off when the god was trying to come through it got destroyed but its magical energy got infused into Alex. Its did not just wake up his latent mutant mutant powers but also allowed him to do magic.

His latent mutant power is the ability is Spatial Manipulation and so far he has learned a bit of Divine magic. Unknown to him he is immortal and can't died well unless (Thinking of something good right now of what stops his Resurrection. Thinking of something good right now for that.) 

Also trying to come up with a name but so far nothing is coming to me right now. 

Look again.

2f Think Fast 12) +35 INT; Concentration (½ DCV; -¼) (Modifiers affect Base Characteristic) (35 APs)

"Modifiers effect Base Characteristic" means that the Concentration also applies to the 10 pts you start with and the 7 other points you bought.

I personally LOVE complex characters, but for your first attempt, you should probably go with something simpler.

Lucius Alexander

Palindromedary affects both Base and Noble Characteristics

So, he's a power-armor-clad, recipient-of-godlike-powered, magic-adept mutant.

You missed trained-by-Tibetan-monk and crashlanded-alien but - yup, otherwise I'd say you pretty much ran the gamut of origins. :winkgrin:

No he does not have armor. 

I just came up with the idea and liked it and thought it was cool. You don't have to make fun of it.  You could be constructive and maybe give ideas on what would help make the origin better 

Occult knoweldge 4) KS: Magic; Concentration (½ DCV; -¼) 53- (44 APs)
I have to say wow that is one hell of a skill roll. What do you want to simulate with that power?

Magic Sense 5) Clairsentience (Mental Group, Detect And Spatial Awareness), Discriminatory, Increased Arc Of Perception
(360 Degrees) (40 APs) 
I take it you want to detect magic. that would be "detect" with a 360° arc.

skills& talents you can probably reduce your point cost. From what I know your character only visited a few self defense classes?
Most of them don't teach weapon element. 
As for aikido:
At least basics thought there are throws and how you twist anothers arms and wrists (even to the point of breaking them)
I'm not 100% sure about the martial arts maneuvers but (martial) throw, (martial) disarm, (martial) block come to mind with aikido 

Ressurrection:
You could reduce that to 1 point of body per day

Life support:
If your character does not want to automatically survive in space or inside a volcano  you could leave those pressure heat and cold out  and put those as being part of a power framework so to only be used when you need those

else for saving points I only see the possibility of reducing  the framework costs.
OR you reduce the point cost of the mana reserve (I take it that all powers in the framework use that one?) 
With what I see on your char the 40 points of recovery are quite an overkill even if you teleport each round you dont loose any mana (except if
long term endurance rules also apply to mana, but then again who teleports again and again for minutes). 
you could reduce the recovery down to 20 or 10 even that should save you a lot of points as even 10 should be enough if you don't do combat over 10+ rounds. should
free up quite a lot of points.

Btw: teleportation power:
do you really want to be able to give that power to others or do you want to use it as an attack on others?

My most constructive suggestion is to go back and think of something simpler.

Have you talked this over with whoever is running the game?

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary consumed radioactive peppers to become The Green Llama

My most constructive suggestion is to go back and think of something simpler.

If he is liking teleporting powers as much as it seems, a concept there like in "jumper" (dont know if that is also the english title of that movie) would be possible.

Also some powers seem pretty weak to me how they are in the charsheet. like for example teleport. 13m to teleport (only?) it is almost the same as the cahracter running there.

By going down a simpler road it would be possible to save quite a lot of points and make the single powers more effective. 

There may be reasons to use Teleport over running.

There are but it depends on what he really wants to do with it. as a very short way teleport it functions. as a teleport between cities or districts its way too few m he would need to buy megascale there for the teleport if he wants to do any of that. 

Well so far. I wanted to use teleport as his main mode of travel and be able to use it to teleport the team to locations. being that no one can fly or has super speed or some other way of traveling to far off places. 

Being I wanted him to be a spatial Manipulator I thought it would be cool to do alot of teleport stuff. Like being able to teleport enemy's away as an attack or teleporting people out of harms way. Then a apart of his space warping I was using telekinesis to represent him being able to move stuff through space. 

I think I will remove change environment that seems pretty advanced. I was planing on having change just having random shifting spatial distortions that cause gravity to keep shifting to make it hard for anyone inside to move

So far the GM really likes the background but this is his first time running the game and told me to go to the forum for help in figuring out how to get the powers to work. 

So far the GM really likes the background but this is his first time running the game and told me to go to the forum for help in figuring out how to get the powers to work. 

If the GM as well is new to Champions, a 400pt power level is very ambitious. Hero Games mechanics is intensive enough when one's options are modest. When the options are almost limitless, you guy may find the game play to be frustratingly slow.

Another factor is that, at that level, most familar things are essentially out of play (such as normal people,  normal walls, and normal weapons). You can still have such things in the game, but the GM will have to invent them all. (Your heroes will only content with Normals as delicate-meat-objects, walls that can impede them will have to be made of vault steel, and any weapons used will have to be written up - nobody's going to be firing pistols) That's a lot of work for a GM/

Unfortunately, it's likely far too late for the GM to reconsider a more modest power level where much of the work is already done.

OK, if the GM is new too, I definitely suggest going with a simpler character.

The risk of campaign shipwreck increases with character complexity.

I'll have a closer look at the character. There are some obvious problems, but the biggest one is that he tries to do too much.

Fundamentally, a character needs an attack power, a defensive power and a movement power. Everything else is ribbons and lace.

Magic using Mutant Scientist is a bit much. I suggest Magic or Mutant. Yes, there are examples in the source material of characters who use both, but this character is (i) built on a limited budget, and (ii) insanely complicated. Oh, and he's a Martial Artist too, I see.

You've bought his skills up very high. You could shave a bunch of points there. Up to 40, if you are willing to sacrifice the Aikido, which doesn't do very much for him.

I'm not sure that Always On is a valid limitation for his Regen and Life Support. Why is it a Bad Thing? (Unless you are planning on him being tortured a lot, which I doubt you are).

On to his Spatial Manipulation multipower:

I'd scrap his EDM. At this point it's a luxury. It's only 4 points, so you can buy it back later.

His Spatial Imprisonment power is so small that you might as well drop it.

I'm not sure what "Spatial Tuning" actually does.

The Change Environment slot is nice but optional.

Here's a beauty: "Spatial Blasts". 20d6, Perceivable (-1/2)

My response: "No, no, and no".

A 20 DC attack is usually regarded as a bit much for a 400 point character. 12-14 is more typical.

Your character would get completely trashed by this attack, which means that he would get trashed by an NPC with a comparable power level.

Also, I can't see Perceivable being a valid limitation for this power.

Scrap and start again is looking like good advice. However I'll post this and keep going in a few minutes.

He has a whole boatload of multipower slots. Thinning them out will save points.

The issues with "Modifiers affect Base Characteristic" have been pointed out already.

His Combat Values are rubbish unless you have his MP tuned to the correct slots. Basically, anybody can hit him when he isn't using the DCV slot, and he can't hit anybody unless he is using the OCV slot.

NND killing attacks are the epitome of GM's permission, for good reason, so I'd scrap "Deadly Aportation" on general principles.

And now we run into his second, unrelated power set...

Putting a KS in a multipower is GM permission.

"Knock Back Wave" is very low powered, and ripe for cutting.

"Fighting Spirit" is odd, and mostly pointless.

"Divine Binds" is low powered, and another target for cutting.

"Battle Analysis" is just a plain bad idea. The character will have 3 SPD unless this slot is being used.

All the other characteristic slots are a bad idea too.

What is bad about his Mana Reserve being Always On?

Oh dear. I suppose I have to suggest a way to fix him now. :(

His Combat Values are rubbish unless you have his MP tuned to the correct slots. Basically, anybody can hit him when he isn't using the DCV slot, and he can't hit anybody unless he is using the OCV slot.

Depends on the campaign he is in and the stats of everyone else in the world.

Also, a lot of his MP slots have crazy big Active Point totals. Not all necessarily need to be slashed, but they're a big red flag.

Teleport Boxing is redundant. Granted, it appears to be an attack versus PD in a character with a lot of attacks versus ED, but points are points.

Bluntly, I'd scrap the entire second multipower, and concentrate on his  Spatial Manipulation power set. It's a pretty cool concept in its own right, and mixing in the other stuff just dilutes it.

I've got a version of him down to 243 points, but that's before I start buying characteristics to replace the ones I cut from the multipowers.

Depends on the campaign he is in and the stats of everyone else in the world.

True, but 3 SPD, 11 DEX and 4 OCV/DCV is usually within the range of a fairly capable normal. That's what this character has when he doesn't have his multipower slots allocated to correct that.

The character, as written, is likely to end up with a bad case of lead poisoning, inflicted by 'by the book' normals. Either that, or be taken out by a character with a comparably sized attack.

This is apparently a campaign involving a new GM and new players. I suspect that they aren't intentionally wanting to play a "glass cannon" game. And this character is a glass cannon - one hit and he breaks.