Can you help you cut this character down to only 400 points ?

Basic204

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Red tape is an idiom that refers to excessive regulation or rigid conformity to formal rules that is considered redundant or bureaucratic and hinders or prevents action or decision-making. It is usually applied to governments, corporations, and other large organizations.

One definition is the "collection or sequence of forms and procedures required to gain bureaucratic approval for something, especially when oppressively complex and time-consuming".[1] Another definition is the "bureaucratic practice of hair splitting or foot dragging, blamed by its practitioners on the system that forces them to follow prescribed procedures to the letter".[2]

Red tape generally includes filling out paperwork, obtaining licenses, having multiple people or committees approve a decision and various low-level rules that make conducting one's affairs slower, more difficult, or both. Red tape can also include "filing and certification requirements, reporting, investigation, inspection and enforcement practices, and procedures".[3]

Why do heroes have to be registered? And who said?

No I read the champions universe and beyond books. They are really awesome. I like how they cover who was the first conformable  hero was the black mask. It goes over everything. It even talks about a few laws in world that governments created for supers. How they handle supers just going into other country's. I like how It seems like Dr. Destoryer is so evil even after he died he came back from hell using his super intelligence to learn magic. It also talks about super hero night clubs and vacations spots and stuff and hero's in the media which I think is interesting. Its really interesting and awesome. If you have not read it read it. I could not put it down. 

I would love to play in a game were I could see these places. 

I was assuming that as a Physist and Computer Programmer he had to be used to dealing with Bureaucracies. For getting funding for Physics projects if nothing else. Bureaucratics allow you to get info, stuff from organizations. ie If you need to find out from a big corporation something about one of their employees, you would make a bureaucratics roll to get past the Receptionists, Secretaries, and middle managers to get to the information.

I always try to make sure that if the PC's powers are turned off they can still do stuff to advance the story. I TRY to make sure that the PC is more than just powers.

I renamed the power that the character had to scout far away TP Locations. IT's called "Wormhole watching" It doesn't need to be an instant power as all of the PC's Megascale TP's take a full turn to activate. The first group of powers is just a list that shares some limitations. It is NOT a multipower. The Multipower is just full of attacks or things a PC would do instead of an attack (ie Reflection). I removed all of the CV adders as they were ill defined and felt like cheese (ie powers just to have the effect, not because it fits the concept).

As for summoning weapons, you should define what the PC is planing on doing with a Police Baton or a shotgun. Those items are pretty worthless in a superheroic fight. I guess what you could do is buy a gadget pool.

You DO need a movement power that doesn't have Megascale on it. Megascale movement is considered to be NonCombat movement (half DCV) and takes a Full Phase no matter how far you move (no half move and attack).

For the Teleport usable vs others, just find a few points and buy some base Teleportation ie

4u Teleportation 28m, Usable As Attack (+1 1/4) (63 Active Points); Unified Power (-1/4), Requires A Roll (14- roll; -1/4)

For me I see his powers as part of who he is so he teleports to places normally.

He has physics because he was studying his powers and noticed he can manipulate space so he was learning it to help him figured some stuff out. 

For me when I made him the reason his normal stats were so low was because he is not some one who trained every day to be a hero. He wanted to be but he was not on the level of a high end slight of hand artist with dex. His con was lower because he has a average body right now not the one of an elite soldier. 

For me I tried to use the number to line up with what he was like not to put him max. 

So for dex he was a skilled as maybe a Pickpocket. his intelligence was really high because hes smart. He works now for his friend who runs a small company called Odd Jobs Custom Tech. He helps them build code and other things they sell building custom hardware. 

His OCV/OCD was low because he is still learning to hit targets and become more accurate. 

I'm more about RPing stuff then just numbers. with his stats being 20 dex,20 con that means he worked out every day till he got the powers. He did not. I mean the only reason now I can think that his dex and con are so high as well as his OCV and DCV is the result of his powers. That it made him better able to move and made his body stronger through the trauma. 

His teleport power it so he would not have to be late to work when he is done fighting crime he can pop home change shower and pop into work. The negatives for the long range teleport I can work with he has to take some extra time to jump a far distance. his SPD i think I will chalk up to his new powers 

for me I try to use the numbers to explain stuff in RP not Oh he needs these points to survive this or hit that. 

My vote is Nexus or cross roads.

You could also just pick a cool sounding name that has nothing to do with your powers.

Narpent

Creuss

etc...

Compound names can be good. Just pick an adjective and a noun or 2 nouns:

Red comet

Saphire Moon

Razor Fist

etc...

for me I try to use the numbers to explain stuff in RP not Oh he needs these points to survive this or hit that.

I can respect that, but understand that if you take that approach, when the villains show up you will be going from ineffective to unconscious in six seconds.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary suggests that I have little room to talk given some of the builds I come up with

Granted it may be ok to be weak in some areas. Like a brick getting ego attacked by a mentalist or a brick throwing  a building on a mentalist. A little defense in those weak areas helps but it is not expected that the character be impervious to everything. That is why you have a team so your brick can switch off to a physical opponent and leave the mentalist to fight each other for example. Would be pretty boring to be the one man defense to everything and probably too expensive to do practically, much less have your own effective attack powers and movement abilities too.

CHARACTER ABILITY GUIDELINES TABLE

Char    SPD     CV     DC   ActivePts    SkillPts  Skill Roll       Def/rDef

Standard Superheroic  10-40    3-10    7-13   6-14     40-80         25-80     11-15-       20-25/12-18

---------

The Ranges of that table are a bit too wide and don't really cover that important stuff. So are a bit decieving. Yes, characters have Characteristics in the range of 10-40. That doesn't really tell the whole story. You will find the the Default Champions Universe has Dex in the 18 - 33 range with the Campaign assuming most character being around 23 dex (There's a reason for those numbers that made more sense in previous editions, but they stay with us because it's what people have done for decades).

I have found that once people know what the averages center around they can make judgments about where they want their character to be in the range above. Because for some stats like SPD, the higher the number the more often your character can act. A low number means that other players at the table are getting to do stuff while your character does nothing but watch. Going crazy on Skill Rolls mean that you tie up a ton of points in Dexterity, Intelligence and Presence. Which can be the difference between coming within point budget or blowing it sky high.

Long ago, Hero Games polled the gamers about what averages their Champions campaigns ran about. The numbers they got back are fairly close to the ones in my previous post. Those numbers were also used to build all of the Pregen PCs and Villains for Champions.

I don't know if you are using Champions Complete or Hero System Sixth Edition vol 1 and 2. In Champions Complete, the Sample PC team "The Champions" Appear on pg 191  In HS6e Vol 2 (also referred to as 6e2) Sample Superheroic characters appear on pg 220 and include Taurus, Eagle Eye, Hardpoint and Malestrom.All of these characters in both books are a good starting point to look at power levels and how to spend points.

Re PDF and HDE file upload. We can quickly comment on PDF, but most don't have time to re enter your characer into Hero Designer. So you will just get advice and not any real builds. If you include HDE files some posters will DL the file and Tinker with the character and you can see how experienced player/GM's would rebuild the character to fit within the budget. A totally different Experience.

One thing about his values there.

We are using hero system sixth edition with a setting that is a crossover between marvel and a magical girl world (I'm the gm btw).

According to basics original background story I saw it was so:

He is a normal human being and learned to fight through a few self defense classes. Then a few weeks ago his powers awoke.

Thus going by it I said (and still say): The normal template he has has to fit a normal human with the appropriate education,... thus in my oppinion characteristicswise it didnt make any sense that his

ocv / dcv are higher than max. that of a cops/soldiers. Same for  his dex (he was designated as being a highyl intelligent char so 18-20 int made sense)

his rec and endurance only made sense just above average (no sports, only a few self defense classes to account for fitness). 

All other increments if they exist would have been made through powers there (as the "base" of his by his BG was a normal mortal). 

Or am I misunderstanding how things work tthere?

You're the GM, so you can make it work. :)

That means tailoring the Bad Guys to get the appropriate relative power levels, where he's not too weak and not too strong.

Maybe you could sit down and run through a couple of combats with him out of game. Pit him in turn against a mugger with a knife, a bunch of thugs with automatic weapons, a minor supervillain, and maybe a less minor one.

We are using hero system sixth edition with a setting that is a crossover between marvel and a magical girl world (I'm the gm btw).

He is a normal human being and learned to fight through a few self defense classes. Then a few weeks ago his powers awoke.

Thus going by it I said (and still say): The normal template he has has to fit a normal human with the appropriate education,... thus in my oppinion characteristicswise it didnt make any sense that his

ocv / dcv are higher than max. that of a cops/soldiers. Same for  his dex (he was designated as being a highyl intelligent char so 18-20 int made sense)

his rec and endurance only made sense just above average (no sports, only a few self defense classes to account for fitness). 

All other increments if they exist would have been made through powers there (as the "base" of his by his BG was a normal mortal). 

You are, perhaps, overlooking some things.

"it didnt make any sense that his

ocv / dcv are higher than max. that of a cops/soldiers."

He is aware of space - and of time, which is an aspect of space - in a way he never was before. He can in particular sense matter by the way it bends space. He knows where everything is, including his own body, with a high degree of precision, which suggests a high OCV. Perhaps he has a high DCV because he teleports just out of the way of attacks, or even blinks ahead in time a split second so as to not be there when the beam/bullet/sword/whatever is passing through, or warps space so that attacks pass around or just never connect (he's standing right in front of you, but he makes that an enormous distance)

"his rec and endurance only made sense just above average"

Not if his new powers give him access to extradimensional sources of energy.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary calls this reasoning from effective

I highly recommend not getting too hung up on what the system calls "Normal Human".  Assuming that the PCs are going to be facing Villains that are built on the same powerlevel of the 400pt Villains in the Champons Villains books and other 6e Champions books. Then the character NEEDS to have a certain baseline CV to actually be able to participate in a battle and hit something once in a blue moon. In a Superhero game it's pretty natural for the PC's to be head and shoulders above the rest of the world. Yes that means that they are faster and more accurate than a Special Forces Elite. Otherwise one wouldn't need superheroes. If Elites were on the level of Supervillains SWAT would be called out to deal with all Supervillain crimes and the Heroes wouldn't be needed.

If you MUST be picky about why the character has a high CV. Perhaps the new powers allow the PC to percieve their foes in a different way that makes it easier for them to hit stuff. Perhaps their manipulation of Spacial Stuff allows them to manipulate stuff in a small enough/but still signifigant way to allow them to hit more often.

IF you are the GM of this Player's Campaign and are running at a different powerlevel than the "Standard Champions Universe" then please state what the Campaign averages are for DC, CV etc. The system runs on a Bell curve being 3 or more points higher or lower than the average CV is VERY signifigant in the game. IF the PC is running around at CV 6 and the Villains at CV9 the PCs aren't going to hit very often if at all.

enemies were originally planed in the skilled and compoetent rank values thus 3-7 depending on importance.

And like I said I'm not picky why, but from what I got explained his bg states taht he is a normal human and ALL of his powers are part of a unified power (that is what I got explained yesterday) so a base ocv of 10+ for him doesn't feel right. If it comes frorm a power that gives a permanent boost and is part of the unified then that makes sense to me in terms of what the BG states how the character is and what his powers do.