How are you supposed to be stealthy in 6E?

randian

One thing I didn't notice before in the 6E rules is that Stealth gets penalties if you have Inobvious powers turned on. Such as, for example, any of the major defenses (which are Inobvious and not Imperceptible per Champions Complete). It used to be that while resistant defenses or damage reduction had obvious effects in terms of the target surviving lethal damage, they weren't perceivable per-se. In 6E terms they were Imperceptible, but Imperceptible powers always have Perceptible Target Effects unless you pay extra to make the Target Effect Imperceptible as well.

Now having damage reduction (for example) makes it harder to sneak around. Its persistence means it's always considered to be in-use and thus perceivable whether you're taking damage right now or not, and in any case it would rarely make sense special-effects wise to turn it off. So much for stealthy bricks  :angst:

One thing I didn't notice before in the 6E rules is that Stealth gets penalties if you have Inobvious powers turned on. Such as, for example, any of the major defenses (which are Inobvious and not Imperceptible per Champions Complete). It used to be that while resistant defenses or damage reduction had obvious effects in terms of the target surviving lethal damage, they weren't perceivable per-se. In 6E terms they were Imperceptible, but Imperceptible powers always have Perceptible Target Effects unless you pay extra to make the Target Effect Imperceptible as well.

Now having damage reduction (for example) makes it harder to sneak around. Its persistence means it's always considered to be in-use and thus perceivable whether you're taking damage right now or not, and in any case it would rarely make sense special-effects wise to turn it off. So much for stealthy bricks  :angst:

So now you have to buy invisible power effects for everything?

Personally i would rule that if the power did not cost end and did not have an obvious sfx, then it would not provide a penalty to stealth. if the book says otherwise, i would ignore it, but that's just me. i'm crazy like that.

pretty much superman does not appear bullet proof till you shoot him

Combat luck the same thing

Nu pretty much got it

I agree, but by RAW that's not how it works anymore. Another example: Absorption is now Obvious, just like Blast is. You're a walking beacon if you walk about town with your Absorption at the ready.

I would go with "you need a reason to roll"

just looking does not count

per roll to see that the shot hit , not breathing in the poison gas

by your reading of  RAW , 50% of the population can tell who is bullet proof and who is not bullet proof

for me this is very silly

of course we could just adjust starting supers at say 500 to 600pts

Inobvious for me means you cannot tell until there is an observable instance to prove 1 way or another

this would pretty much mean you could not have a secret ID unless everything is bought invisible power effect

in the end maybe a rewording of CC/6thed is needed for this

I agree, but by RAW that's not how it works anymore. Another example: Absorption is now Obvious, just like Blast is. You're a walking beacon if you walk about town with your Absorption at the ready.

6E1 126 "The
obviousness of a perceivable Power typically
depends primarily on its category, though the final
decision is up to the GM, and the rules for individual
Powers may trump the general rules listed
below. As always, common sense, dramatic sense,
and considerations of game balance should apply

the point was about being seen w/ just a per roll

no observable moment was specified

they are inobvious until there is an observable moment

the Per roll should be to make sure the target was hit

Powers are visible when you use them not just because they are turned on.

So your Resistant Defenses are Obvious when an attack bounces off you or when someone tries to squeeze you.(Sight and Touch)

not quite

1 touch alone will not tell you if a person is bullet proof unless your grip is enough to break bones and you apply that much strength

2 a Perception roll is needed on an inobvious power ,it does not switch from 1 to the other when stuck

I think that's what I posted.

That means when you absorb an attack, that you absorbed it (and not just were affected as normal for your defenses) is obvious. They know "he is absorbing the attack". They know "hitting him with this kind of energy will boost his power". Just like using aid on yourself is obvious. Absorption is little more then Aid with Trigger.

People still need to know you can absord powers from prior observation, knowledge or run into your absoprtion at least once (and possibly repeatedly if they lack other special attacks). You are not as shiny as a cristmas tree and hummign audible just because you have the power.

It is just obvious that you have the power when you use it.

Example:

It was obvious Super 17 of Dragonball GT could absorb energy when he did it:

He was beaten when 18 and Goku noticed that he had bought his absoprtion with Concentration. Or maybe that he had to use the "Block vs Ranged" maneuver for it to work.

In any case he could not move or properly defend himself from melee attacks while he used the power

Edit: That was actually a coutner example. Seem the absoprtion was bought with inobvious. Need to find a better one.