Healing Complication

eepjr24

I am modeling a complication for a Vancian magic campaign. The background is that the person / group with the complication cannot get the full benefit from healing and may get no benefit at all from healing. I want it to be variable, so that it will give a small amount at least sometimes. And for a large enough heal, it may exceed the complication and heal a modest amount. 

My initial thought here is a susceptibility, but I don't want healing to actually kill or worsen the condition of the target. I could build it as a physical limitation that grants power defense versus healing, but it is fixed and seems a bit wonky. Any other ideas out there?

- E

One option would be to go with 'Power Defense' vs. Healing combined with treating ALL Healing as having the Penetrating Advantage vs. this 'Power Defense'. That way a little bit of Healing vs. Body will always occur unless it's a poor roll (1's on the dice).

HM

Hrm. Interesting. I don't like that solution for this particular scenario, but I could see building defenses that had the limitation "Permeable" that treated a particular attack as penetrating. Like elemental armor that is made for fire (extra ED for Fire SFX), regular ED for all other effects, except "Permeable" to Cold SFX. Sticking that in the toolbox for later.

- E

You know, this is one of those things that sound like a feature of the magic rather than just a feature of the person.

You do not say anything about the rationale (and for Vancian magic that is not always unusual!) for not benefitting from healing magic but if it is possible that all healing magic does not work for people with the same problem then you build that into the magic and the character would just take a physical limitation of healing has limited effect.

That also means you can rate it - low level you subtract a few dice, moderate a few more, severe, even more...

otherwise I might decide to build a negative power.  Power defence, only versus healing magic.  I would build it - suss how many points it would cost and give that cost as a complication...(all depending on what the cost was - wouldnt want to make it a thing that everyone would want to take for the points...)

Doc

You know, this is one of those things that sound like a feature of the magic rather than just a feature of the person.

You do not say anything about the rationale (and for Vancian magic that is not always unusual!) for not benefitting from healing magic but if it is possible that all healing magic does not work for people with the same problem then you build that into the magic and the character would just take a physical limitation of healing has limited effect.

That also means you can rate it - low level you subtract a few dice, moderate a few more, severe, even more...

otherwise I might decide to build a negative power.  Power defence, only versus healing magic.  I would build it - suss how many points it would cost and give that cost as a complication...(all depending on what the cost was - wouldnt want to make it a thing that everyone would want to take for the points...)

Doc

Hrm. I may go back and look at your second method. This particular case is not a matter of how magic works, this is a curse by a god or other powerful entity on a person or bloodline. To make it available you choose a particular background, so it would really need to be part of your character concept. I ended up with a Susceptibility to Healing, 2d6, only up to amount healed. But I think I'll do the math and see if it is close on a negative power.

- E