Gadgets and Gear Preview ( heh Allen )

TheQuestionMan

Hello Allen Thomas , the QM here askin' how your project is going . Are you ready to share and are you ready for input ?

Inquiring minds want to know :)

Format Changes from the USDB or FH:G .

Various Technology levels : Steam/Bronze/Silver/Iron Age ?

Need help or suggestions building specific stuff

Art work ?

Thanks QM

Allen's not writing that book anymore. ;)

I am. In fact, it's already finished. There was even a "what do you want to see?" thread about it sometime back, though there wasn't much response.

It's wholly a book of Champions gadgets; no steampunk or any other such thing. There's no differentiation between "ages"; that's a matter of appearance and other flavoring, really, not game statistics, so I'll leave it to each player or GM to decide. ;)

The entries have a format similar to UPSD or the FHG. Makes 'em easy to write and to reference. ;)

Originally posted by Steve Long

In fact, it's already finished. There was even a "what do you want to see?" thread about it sometime back, though there wasn't much response.

I'd call eighty-two replies in the thread "much response." Geez, what were you expecting?

I start a thread, I'm lucky to get a dozen replies. It's GOOD to get attention when you want it. Count your blessings--especially with Thanksgiving so close.

I'd call eighty-two replies in the thread "much response." Geez, what were you expecting?

Sorry, I should have made it clear that by "much response" I wasn't talking about quantity. Quantity, in and of itself, is meaningless. I meant more in terms of quality, useful suggestions. I was thinking primarily in comparison to the USPD thread, which generated in my notes a long list of power ideas I was able to use. The G&G one wasn't nearly so fruitful, and I had hoped it would be.

Nevertheless, I definitely appreciate the responses of everyone who chose to participate!

How do you do it?

Well, in general, by having no social life. ;)

In this particular case, I did it by writing up a gadget or three each day, sometimes more, until I was done. ;) By similar methods I've already written The Fantasy Hero Grimoire II, which I'm salting away on the ol' hard drive until we need it. Resource books like those two -- long lists of things, essentially -- are easy to write in little bits and pieces thataway.

OTOH, I'm currently plinking around with The Ultimate Skill in my "for fun" time, and that's a different kettle of fish. I have to spend a long time researching each subject and doing an expanded Skill writeup. For example, it took me an entire working day -- one Sunday -- to harmonize and expand upon the thorny subject of Combat Skill Levels. ;) Right now I'm researching cryptography, which is a lot of fun. Just found out about the Beale cipher, a (relatively) local bit of intriguing history.

Well, at this point the book is finished, but I'm certainly willing to receive more lists of gadgets if people want to send them (not writeups, mind you -- gadgets). I've still got to edit it, after all. ;) Though I think I've covered the subject pretty thoroughly, since one gadget can easily become dozens with simple changes in color, shape, and special effect. ;)