How would you build resistant to being made prone?

TheDarkness

If I may, what about how you writeup immunity to being prone for a creature like the Blob(1958), that doesn't appear to be able to 'go prone.'

I would do an end run around the issue in that case. Since only cold really does anything, and since it is always prone, and since touching it damages everything, I'd let it be at 1/2 DCV. The price for touching it would make the odds of attempting to strike it for zero effect small.

Is there a crawling movement? Can't seem to find it.

Now, for schmoo, I'd use Lucius' build.

Even if the character is immune to be literally dropped on his behind, could he still be put off-balance?

Yes.

This is a important part. He is not immune to the "Prone Status effect" (wich is something hero can not model). It is just harder go give him said status effect.

This is why earlier, I mentioned the attack roll being the one part that can be affected, having a higher DCV versus the attempt. Versus the effect, since there is no roll and the effect is absolute, I'm not sure how one approaches that, undoubtedly Change Environment again.

I would go that route personally. Harder to hit = harder to be put prone prone in the first case. "+x DCV, only against being made prone". The Pathfinder fork of D&D actually adds something called "Combat Maneuver Defense", wich codifies the DCV/Armor class against maneuvers.

There are fringe cases that ignore DCV - like AoE Telekinetic or AoE STR Trip maneuver - but those might just be the nesseary tradeoff for balance. You can propably explain them away.

This is a important part. He is not immune to the "Prone Status effect" (wich is something hero can not model). It is just harder go give him said status effect.

I would go that route personally. Harder to hit = harder to be put prone prone in the first case. "+x DCV, only against being made prone". The Pathfinder fork of D&D actually adds something called "Combat Maneuver Defense", wich codifies the DCV/Armor class against maneuvers.

There are fringe cases that ignore DCV - like AoE Telekinetic or AoE STR Trip maneuver - but those might just be the nesseary tradeoff for balance. You can propably explain them away.

Okay, I think I have a handle on this now. Doing it that way provides no defense against it for attacks that cause him to be knocked down, but whose intended purpose is not necessarily to do so. So, he needs to buy both normal resistance to knock back, and heightened DCV versus sweeps, and heightened OCV vs. throws, because, while the latter two use the same mechanic for knockdown, they use different stats against it, while the first one uses an entirely different mechanic.

Thanks everyone!

What does being prone do to you?  It requires a half phase to stand up, and you're at 1/2 DCV while you're prone.

So just buy him position shift (so he can stand up for free), and +X DCV, only to keep full DCV while prone.  There, you're done.

So my character looks like this:

blah blah blah character sheet

normal DCV 6

+6 DCV, only to keep full DCV while prone (-2)

X" of movement, position shift 

What does being prone do to you?  It requires a half phase to stand up, and you're at 1/2 DCV while you're prone.

So just buy him position shift (so he can stand up for free), and +X DCV, only to keep full DCV while prone.  There, you're done.

normal DCV 6

You're hiding flight usable on others instead of telekinesis in the blah blah blah, aren't you?

normal DCV 6

I'd value only to keep full DCV while prone at (-1 1/2) to keep it in line with the published PSL cost.

From 6e1 page 85:

DEFENSIVE PENALTY SKILL LEVELS

The second, less common, category of PSLs reduces or counteracts negative DCV modifiers imposed by particular conditions. Examples

include:

Groundfighting Skill Levels, which offset the DCV penalty for being prone

DEFENSIVE PENALTY SKILL LEVEL TABLE

Cost Application

2 +1 to offset a specific negative DCV modifier imposed by any single specific condition

:)

HM

I've been reading this the whole time and can't help but think of the Kung Fu movie I saw once with a "master" who could still be kicked/punched/etc., but throws and sweeps just failed. He simply rolled around the individual, using the force of motion intended to knock him down, to keep his feet, no matter what they did. Seeing him doing this was funny, whether it was intended as such or not.

All that said, the best way to model that, I'd think, would simply be obscene levels of DCV, only vs. throws, sweeps, etc.

I've been reading this the whole time and can't help but think of the Kung Fu movie I saw once with a "master" who could still be kicked/punched/etc., but throws and sweeps just failed. He simply rolled around the individual, using the force of motion intended to knock him down, to keep his feet, no matter what they did. Seeing him doing this was funny, whether it was intended as such or not.

All that said, the best way to model that, I'd think, would simply be obscene levels of DCV, only vs. throws, sweeps, etc.

Versus throws, OCV is used, not DCV. Otherwise, yes, that does appear to be the way if one wanted a character who would be very hard to throw. You'd have to build some sort of change environment to avoid the effect, so the attack roll is the only clear way.

• 4 weeks later...

More thinky.

So.

There are two bits here, as has been said.

The first is being susceptible to something that makes you prone.  This is often a throw or somesuch, then, even if you are prone, there is the effect of being prone.

To distinguish: A spider might be hard to make prone as it has 8 sticky feet, but, if made prone it takes full effect i.e. all the normal penalties.

A T1000 can be picked up and thrown to the floor easily enough but can then morph so that being prone is not disadvantage.

The first can be accomplished by a Breakfall roll, which allows you to gain your feet as a zero phase action and reduce throw damage.  You could make it triggered so that it happens instantly rather than on your next phase, so that, in effect, you are never thrown.

The second is just overcoming the penalties.  Unfortunately the penalty is a halving of DCV, which is a pain as it means different costs for different people if you just buy it as penalty levels.  Why should having a high DCV mean it costs more to overcome the effect of being prone?

Bear in mind also that Clinging overcomes being made prone (arguably): in addition to the normal attack you have to make a STR v STR to snap them off whatever they are standing on.

I'd either make being prone a straight penalty (-2, probably) to DCV or add a LS category: does nto suffer penalties from being prone.

• 3 weeks later...

Versus throws, OCV is used, not DCV. Otherwise, yes, that does appear to be the way if one wanted a character who would be very hard to throw. You'd have to build some sort of change environment to avoid the effect, so the attack roll is the only clear way.

I'm sorry, where are you getting that Throws target OCV instead of DCV?

EDIT: Normally Throwing someone requires Grabbing them first. Grabs target DCV and when you Throw the Target you use the DCV of the thing or person you are Throwing them AT (or DCV 0 if just Throwing them for distance).  I looked up Trip and Martial Throw to make sure I wasn't forgetting something basic and neither of them say anything about targeting OCV instead of DCV either.  The only Maneuver I know of off-hand that targets OCV is Block.

I'm sorry, where are you getting that Throws target OCV instead of DCV?

EDIT: Normally Throwing someone requires Grabbing them first. Grabs target DCV and when you Throw the Target you use the DCV of the thing or person you are Throwing them AT (or DCV 0 if just Throwing them for distance).  I looked up Trip and Martial Throw to make sure I wasn't forgetting something basic and neither of them say anything about targeting OCV instead of DCV either.  The only Maneuver I know of off-hand that targets OCV is Block.

I'm not sure where I got that. I was sure of it when I wrote it, which, on the internet, means it must be 100% true. Internet protocol requires that I now nebulously accuse you of 'cultural marxism'.

Take no offense, this is merely the language of my people.

[i was wrong, please don't tell anyone... :wacko: ]