A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Guest Worldmaker

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

Something that really, really makes my teeth ache are bigots who cannot see that they are bigots, and who marginalize, belittle, or otherwise ignore those people who say "But look... you said X on this date, and that's blatantly a bigoted statement."

Makes me want to hit them in the head with a brick.

So here's an odd incident...

the other day, I'm settling in, enjoying some rare true privacy as my wife was out and I had time to kill. (I love my wife, but grew up as an only child, and, besides, I think most people like some real alone time). So anyway, there I am, and someone knocks. I really consider not answering. Finally, though, as they don't seem to be going away, I figure that I should "just in case". Well, it was "just in case" for them I suppose. It was one of the next door neighbors having been locked out of her place. Now, FYI, she and at least another of her roommates are known as real schmoozers/takers. She comes in, she explains her predicament and sort of stalls out there.

I really did not want to have to share the time with someone, in any fashion, and the thing is the weather outside wasn't at all bad, she had adequate clothing, the only thing is she didn't have shoes (she did have socks). Understandably, she couldn't go places really. But her house has a porch which they hang out on a lot anyway. Well, she stands there and I offer up that we have a TV, shoes, and a phone. So, yes, as I felt obligated the TV was a reference that she could stay though deliberately indirect, and I figured between shoes and phones some other accomodations could be made. She did say, "well, I could try a person I know," and made one call, left a voice mail. Then proceeded to sit down. Oh, well. She settles in, I go do other stuff, and do some chores around the house. I really did not make her feel welcome and I feel badly in some part. But I also know they take advantage - case in point (IMHO) being that without asking she started to use our computer to do whatever. I didn't really care, but it seemed a little presumptive (though in a pinch we have let them use our computer before).

So some 2.5 or 3 hours later, just after my wife gets home, she gets home.

I just really and somewhat unfairly resented it. In large part I wouldn't have felt comfortable going to them. And I don't see how they'd feel the same, as the weather was quite mild. Then again, it's not really pleasant to have been in her situation and I should have been more pleasant. As it worked out she just figured I'm shy I guess. But the other thing is I do get afraid of their tendency to take advantage as we've been directly through it before and had to push back (though it was before that particular person's time there).

Oh well. I dunno.

As self appointed humorist of the NGD boards, here are a few jokes.

EASTER IS WHAT???????

Three blondes (natural) died and found themselves standing before St. Peter.

He told them that before they could enter the Kingdom, they had to tell him

what Easter was.

The first blonde said, "Easter is a holiday where they have a big

feast and we give thanks and eat turkey."

St. Peter said, "Noooooo," and he banished her to hell.

The second blonde said, "Easter is when we celebrate Jesus' birth

and exchange gifts."

St. Peter said, "Noooooo," and he banished her to hell.

The third blonde said, she knew what Easter is, and

St. Peter said, "So, tell me."

She said, "Easter is a Christian holiday that coincides with the

Jewish festival of Passover. Jesus was having Passover feast with His

disciples when he was betrayed by Judas, and the Romans arrested him.

The Romans hung Him on the cross and eventually He died. Then they buried

Him in a tomb behind a very large boulder ...

St. Peter said, "Verrrrrry good."

Then the blonde continued, "Now every year the Jews roll away the boulder

and Jesus comes out. If he sees his shadow, we have six more weeks of

basketball."

St. Peter fainted

Bob Hope Classics!

Bob Hope passed on this year. Here is a tribute to him and his

humour.

ON TURNING 70

"You still chase women, but only downhill".

ON TURNING 80

"That's the time of your life when even your birthday suit needs

pressing."

ON TURNING 90

"You know you're getting old when the candles cost more than the

cake."

ON TURNING 100

"I don't feel old. In fact I don't feel anything until noon. Then

it's time for my nap."

ON GIVING UP HIS EARLY CAREER, BOXING

"I ruined my hands in the ring ... the referee kept stepping on

them."

ON NEVER WINNING AN OSCAR

"Welcome to the Academy Awards or, as it's called at my home,

'Passover'."

ON GOLF

"Golf is my profession. Show business is just to pay the green

fees."

ON PRESIDENTS

"I have performed for 12 presidents and entertained only six."

ON WHY HE CHOSE SHOW BIZ FOR HIS CAREER

"When I was born, the doctor said to my mother, 'Congratulations.

You have an eight-pound ham'."

ON RECEIVING THE CONGRESSIONAL GOLD MEDAL

"I feel very humble, but I think I have the strength of character to

fight it."

ON HIS FAMILY'S EARLY POVERTY

"Four of us slept in the one bed. When it got cold, mother threw on

another brother."

ON HIS SIX BROTHERS

"That's how I learned to dance. Waiting for the bathroom."

ON HIS EARLY FAILURES

"I would not have had anything to eat if it wasn't for the stuff the

audience threw at me."

ON GOING TO HEAVEN

"I've done benefits for ALL religions. I'd hate to blow the

hereafter on a technicality."

Last one for now.

Beware of the Dog

Upon entering a little country store, a stranger noticed a sign

reading, "Danger! Beware of Dog" posted on the glass door.

Inside, he noticed a harmless old hound dog asleep on the

floor besides the cash register.

He asked the store manager, "Is that the dog folks are

supposed to beware of?"

"Yep, that's him," he replied.

The stranger couldn't help but be amused. "That certainly

doesn't look like a dangerous dog to me. Why in the world

would you post that sign?"

"Because," the owner replied, "before I posted that sign, people

kept tripping over him."

A CAT PASSES ON

A little boy is gone to school one day and while he is gone, his cat

gets killed. His mother is very concerned about how he will take the

news.

Upon his arrival home, she explains the tragedy and tries to console

the boy saying, "But don't worry, the cat is in heaven with God now."

The boy replied, "What's God gonna' do with a dead cat?"

LIFE AFTER DEATH

"Do you believe in life after death?" the boss asked one of his

employees.

"Yes, Sir," the new employee replied.

"Well then, that makes everything just fine," the boss went on.

"After you left early yesterday to go to your grandmother's

funeral, she stopped in to see you."

LEGAL CONSULTATION

A dog ran into a butcher shop and grabbed a roast off the counter.

Fortunately, the butcher recognized the dog as belonging to a

neighbor of his. The neighbor happened to be a lawyer.

Incensed at the theft, the butcher called up his neighbour and said,

"Hey, if your dog stole a roast from my butcher shop, would you be

liable for the cost of the meat?" The lawyer replied, "Of course,

how much was the roast?" "$7.98."

A few days later the butcher received a check in the mail for $7.98.

Attached to it was an invoice that read: Legal Consultation Service: $150

THE POWER OF EDUCATION

A mother mouse and her three children crept out of their hole into

the kitchen and began feasting on some delicious bits of food.

Suddenly, out of the corner of her eye, Mother Mouse saw a cat

slinking toward them. The cat was between the mice and their

hole. The mother mouse puffed up her lungs and went,

"Woof! Woof!" The cat turned tail and ran.

With that, the mother quickly led her children back to safety in

their hole. When they were settled, and breathing normally,

Mother Mouse said to her children, "Now, what's the lesson

from that experience?"

"We don't know," the baby mice squeaked.

"It is this," said Mom Mouse. "It's always good to know a second

language."

Well, thanks to the timely arrival of some friends of mine on Friday afternoon, we were able to get the house back in order after I finished getting the second desk put together. Our friends were rewarded with copious amounts of cookies and a chair for their daughter.

Unfortunately, all that work left me stiff, sore, tired and braindead for gaming that night. Heck, I was even still pretty dang dead on Saturday. We got a new D&D game started - but only up to the point of "this is how the party met". I am looking very forward to not having to do manual labor this week.

But I do have to take my car to the garage to have my brakes looked at.

Guest Worldmaker

Apparently, all the unpleasantness stems from her jealousy over the trip to Scotland last year. That and the fact that she wanted to get her hands on the estate because she's in debt up to her eyeballs and generally has a con man's view of the world.

Oh well... one less relative I have to ever speak to again for the rest of my life.

Only one week to go before I pack up the kids and head back to DC for a month. The Exalted game is going into email mode for Ryan who is likely never returning from Baghdad in the near future. Although my wife loves the idea of getting her GM back all to herself. She never really clicked with Ryan.

I wonder what the chances are of gaming some champs a couple of nights during May? I am going to be at the Residence Inn in Greenbelt, MD.

Hawkmoor

Read an article for the coolest thread this century, unfortunataly the article is on Chicago Tribune which requires (free) subscription, and I know quite a few people like to avoid subscriptions.

Anyhow, given the chance, search for Walrus airship. The military is looking at a possible 500 ton lift capability airship. Pulp come to life with this huge zeppelin. If the Department of Defense builds this I may have to join a service just to capatin this huge thing. Just hope they will make the uniforms with the pulp fiction look in mind. :)

I'm reminded of a friend's motorcycle accident. Very good driver, but hit a spot of something slick on a curve, wound up going down, wasn't hurt at all, but dinged up his new bike.

He got up, was angry, and wanted to hit something.

And a grapefruit just happened to be sitting there.

Back at work today after tending and being the sick all last week.

It definately beats the vomiting.

And I can't remember when was the last time I thought, "It's good to be back on solid food."

Now that I'm well, I have to get back on my diet.

Doc

Guest Worldmaker

Here's a neato quote:

"I am prepared to risk my presidency to do what I think is right. I was going to act. And if it could cost the presidency, I fully realized that. But I felt so strongly that the billions we've made off this war was worth it, so I was prepared to do so." -- George W. Bush, to Bob Woodward.

Attribution

The emphasis was mine, by the way.

Guest Worldmaker

An open letter to General Colin Powell:

Dear General Powell,

According to several news sources I trust, and according to the man himself, you cooperated with writer Bob Woodward in his new book. Apparently you took the opportunity to clear your conscience regarding your misgivings about the currant war in Iraq.

Its pretty obvious that you are ashamed of yourself. This is totally understandable. After all, you know that you lied to the world about Iraq's possession of WMDs, and we (the American people) know you lied, and you know we know that you lied.

General, it is truly sad to see a man of your stature sink so low. You once had a spotless reputation and were respected by people on both sides of the political fence. You even were courted by both parties, once (the Democrats wanted you for your military acumen, and the Republicans wanted you so they could prop you up next to Condaleeza Rice as proof that they weren't an all-white boys club).

But here's the thing. After so many years serving your country with distinction by rising through the ranks to become the highest ranking officer in the US Army, you got greedy. You allowed the Bush machine to use your credibility to help justify a con game they were planning, and you allowed them to do it with full knowledge that the "Iraq crisis" was nothing but a shell game.

And now you can't sleep at night because you finally realized what a whore you've become.

So, General... How does it feel to have betrayed all the principles for which you once stood?

Guest Skaramine

I was wondering how to send a friend in the Netherlands a couple books that I promised to give him that I wrote. He helped with the research on the second novel, and I didn't have any boxes, and didn't want to buy one at the post office.

Then I saw I had a huge Mead Academie Sketch Pad. The paper was heavy, like parcel paper, and it wrapped around the two paperbacks quite well. A little bit of tapping the old Christmas-package wrapping muscles, and now I have a small parcel ready for shipment to Kaatsheuvel, the Netherlands.

Helped a friend move tonight. Just the heavy stuff and it was one of the easiest moves I've ever dealt with. Three pieces of furniture up the stairs from a fairly cool appartment to an even cooler one.

Beats the time I moved a different friend's scrap metal everytime he wound up moving.

At the pet fair there was a cat for adoption in the next booth. A beautiful siamese named Mitzi. The first cat I remember was a siamese named Mitzi. I joke that she raised me for first 16 years.

We almost had more cats, but both she and the one that tugged at my wife's heart were adopted.

Well, it looks like I'm about to hit 10,000 posts.

I wanted it to be a post announcing the completion of a project, but it's something I've been working on since 2000 now... :rolleyes:

And it's not like it's all that great, it's just a pack of outlines that I scanned in that Sam Bell, Don Satow, and myself made over the years from various comics. There were ~100 sheets with 2-4 outlines on each. After scanning it just needed seperation and a little cleanup which takes ~2 minutes per. (The first ten sheets are available in the free stuff section) I'm almost done with the cleanup, but I did want to also catagorize them a bit at least into Male/Female/Other.

So it might be done this week, but I don't think so before I hit 10,000.

I might just have to put the poll asking what I should be doing about transportation.