'17-18 NBA Thread

Enforcer84

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully we can all agree that, regardless of who re root for or how we feel about it, Lebron James definitely belongs in the NBA pantheon of the best ever to play the game. And that we should enjoy watching him while we still can. The competition for his services is now going to be like no other competition the NBA has ever seen.

Leading a team to the Finals that is otherwise held together with baling wire and bubble gum is in itself an incredible achievement.

back in time (has it really been that long), when Lebron was first drafted, there were people saying "he is the next Michael Jordan". I don't know if it was here, but I think I -posted at the time that "I'm sure he would rather be the first Lebron James".

Now he is doing something even Jordan couldn't do in his epic career.  He truly is the first Lebron James, and when he finally hangs up his shoes and becomes a head coach (probably in Cleveland) people will be touting some uber-talented rookie as "the next Lebron James".

And I imagine that in two months, once the frenzy of his new contract is resolved, people in Cleveland will be burning his jersey again. That disgusts me. Changing teams won't be a sign that he somehow disrespects Cleveland. The real situation is just the opposite. Wherever he plays, Cleveland is deep in his heart and deep within in soul. He truly loves the city and its people, and playing in another city won't change that. His philanthropic efforts have already done much for it, and will for decades to come. He talent, discipline, and focus may be larger than life, but he is a very human figure. 

Well, his playing style is probably more Magic Johnson than Michael Jordan.  He likes his assists.  And I tend to list Magic ahead of Michael Jordan.  (Jordan might be greatest 1v1, but Magic could actually make his teammates truly better, Jordan for good or bad not so much)