Futuristic Sports & Entertainment

tkdguy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Clearly the sport of the future is super-boxing, directly inspired by John Byrne's (I'm blaming him because he's the biggest name involved) Super Boxers graphic novel.  :)

Gladiatorial fights passed off as public "destructive testing" for geneered bioweapons probably shows up a lot too.   Maybe with a crossover league for combat robot matches so we can see the arms race between hard and soft tech right there in the arena.  You'll pay for the whole seat, but you only need the edge!

Probably going to be some really strange "historical recreation" stuff as we move forward.  AIs dressed up in lifelike android bioshells (with realistic bleeding features!) and old-fashioned industrial robots teleoperated by actual meat humans refighting the early battles of the Pansapience Revolution, that sort of thing.

• 2 weeks later...

I suspect countless forms of drone operation will probably largely replace/absorb those two as future sports.  RC airplanes are already drones in all but name, and there's nothing actually stopping you from making drones with solid-fuel propulsion systems beyond the expense.  Hybrid rocket/airfoil drones might become a thing, and would certainly help make rocketry more accessible to people who don't have ready access to large amounts of land for launch & recovery sites - it's not really a city dweller's hobby as-is. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The novel Braking Day had a sport involving teams from different hab-rings of a generation ship piloting customized EVA craft in a sort of obstacle derby race, although I think the "course" was a VR creation rather physical for safety reasons.  Running one of these little souped-up one-man worker bees into one another was an acceptable risk, but ploughing into a ring itself not so much.  Pretty much an STL long-hauler community's version of motocross, I guess.  The sport proper plays a very minor role in the plot so the specifics aren't made 100% clear.  There's also some less involved competition involving individual zero-gee maneuvering skills inside the ships themselves, since transiting between hab-rings is generally done by simply jumping after calculating a route with internal software running on your cybernetics (which are universal-from-childhood, to the point where few things operate manually any more - the POV characters struggle to understand how a hand-cranked plumbing cutoff valve works at one point, they're so used to interfacing with everything wirelessly).

Pretty great read for an author's debut (and so far only) scifi novel.

• 3 weeks later...

TEQBALL

Maybe it’s the post-surgery meds, but it made me think of the Mesoamerican Ballgames.

https://www.metmuseum.org/toah/hd/mball/hd_mball.htm

I slipped a ballgame into a 17th C pirate campaign using Fantasy Hero, Justice Inc, and some homemade ship combat inspired by Wooden Ships and Iron Men. 
It was amazing to see how pirates handled scenarios of ball games, murder mysteries, and political intrigue. 

• 2 months later...