What previously held hero names are up for grabs in the CU?

Hermit

I was glancing at the list of super heroes in the CU in the Free stuff section, when I noticed something.

There's no Scarlet Archer.

I thought, after the last one retired with a resturant chain (See Millennium City for details) surely someone had picked it up.

But nay. Twould seem the name drifts about unused.

Of course, Millennium City itself is full of names just itching to be reused, though one couldn't blame folks for being shy.

After all, Ocelot,Vigil, Shadowboxer and many others fell in the Battle of Detroit. A new Scarlet Shield would have a lot to contend with no doubt.

Still, names like this are just itching to be used.

Frankly, I wonder if "Straight Arrow" of Baltimore isn't the last Scarlet Archer's former sidekick.

How could I forget CP?

Originally posted by wcw43921

There's always the possibilty of a hero calling himself. . .

CAPTAIN PATRIOT

Although this hero would have some mighty big super-boots to fill.

Yup. And you'd have to have a geniune square jaw, chinless pansies need not apply :)

Well, comparing the free list of currently active CU heroes and villains with characters mentioned in Champions Universe, this is what I came up with:

19th Century:

El Lobo (Mexico)

Grey Ghost (Confederate patriot hero)

Black Eagle (Britain WW I)

Pulp Era:

Cobra

Futurian

Grey Guardian

Golden Age (Allies):

Captain Patriot

Dr. Twilight

Optimus

Nightingale

Cowboy

Lady Mystery

Sea Hawk

Scarlet Archer

General Winter (Russia)

Lady Lightning

Streak

American Eagle

Sergeant Battle

Swashbuckler

Bulletproof

Mister X

Silver Age:

Vanguard (although the French government team uses that name)

El Espectro (Mexico)

Siren

Rocket Man

Microman

Dr. Phantom

Mountain

Dr. Scarab

Dreamsinger

Sea King

Scirocco

Ocelot

Kid Chameleon

Scarlet Shield

Modern:

El Aguila (Mexico)

Shadowboxer

Goblin

Icestar

Vigil

Tiger

Note that I did not include Axis supers in the Golden Age list since they usually functioned as "villains" in GA campaigns; moreover it's sometimes difficult to tell from their descriptions whether their motivations were actually villainous, or heroic but just on the "wrong side." I'm also not sure how they would be remembered in their home countries. OTOH there is still some Confederate nostalgia in the southern United States, and after all this time the Grey Ghost might be a legitimate legacy identity.

There was also a Streak II in the Silver Age, but he's officially retired.

Well, for several of those names there's a little too much baggage for someone unrelated to take on the name- I don't think any young hero is going to want to call himself "Kid Chameleon II" and face the press after the massive celebrity and tragic death of the original. And some of those guys you listed, despite having begun their careers in the Silver Age, aren't retired yet: notably, Dr. Scarab (who'll get more ink in "Vibora Bay") and Sea Hawk. And to be really technical, the Scarlet Archer with the restaurant is actually the second of THAT name, just to confuse the issue. All of this will eventually be made more clear, either in the pages of Digital Hero or the forthcoming Silver Age and Golden Age books. dw

Didn't mean to jump the gun, Mr. Watts - just going by the information that I had. I pretty much assumed that any of your company's moribund character names could be given a new identity whenever you chose to, except those like Professor Muerte who have been definitively declared persona non grata in the new CU. OTOH would it not be safe to assume that someone declared to have perished, with no replacement listed, would be fair game as the basis for a legacy character until the company did assign the name to a new bearer?

Sometimes the very limiting factors you mention can work to make a character interesting, though. For example, someone appearing who claims to be the original Kid Chameleon, apparently identical to the Kid as he was when he died. Clone? Another shape-shifter posing as him? Genuine article miraculously returned? How did he get here? How will he adjust to the changes in the world since his "death?" Would the public accept him given "his" previous very public demise?