Detects

RavensPath

Hey Herophiles, I've got a question that I could use some help with.

I'm working on a character that will be able to detect a number of things at range and I need to hear some ideas for the ways to build it.

First here are some of the things that she can detect-her teammates, hospitals, guns. There will be more. Right now I have them built in an EC with each one having ranged, extra range and unusual sense advantages. Some are to be targeting (for a teleport). I thought about using some naked advantages that could be then linked to all of her detects but I'm not real happy with that idea either.

Thoughts and idea folks?

Matthew

Sure can. Her name is Compass Rose. She is a teleporter and a "detecter" it is a mutant power that I think will be based on "detecting" what is on someone's mind. She doesn't really read there thoughts or anything, but if someone has gun nearby and she tries to detect if someone does she will be able to lock onto it. For her teammates it is almost like mindscan (and I may build it that way). She can find them if need be. Hospitals works the same. She "locks" onto the thought of a hospital and can then teleport there.

She will play a non front line role though her teleport power has been built with some offensive powers.

Is that enough of an explanation?

The cheap way ro build it would be N-ray vision with limitations placed upon it. ie must consciously determine what she wishes to detect or...

She could buy danger sense and with GM permission/oversight add on the senses ability to analyse details about what is sensed. The latter being more sense like and less like a power.

Re: Detects

Originally posted by RavensPath

Right now I have them built in an EC with each one having ranged, extra range and unusual sense advantages. Some are to be targeting (for a teleport). I thought about using some naked advantages that could be then linked to all of her detects but I'm not real happy with that idea either.

alarm! alarm!

Senses are not supposed to be put in ECs. Unless maybe you have them Cost Endurance -- which I usually find rather cheesy.

Anyway, here's what you do: define all her senses as a separate Sense Group. Purchase Ranged, Targeting, Telescopic, etc. for this Sense Group. Buy once, apply to all senses in the Group.

Then you just purchase the individual Detects (+ Sense, as appropriate).

If she can change between Detects/Senses, I'd suggest taking it as a VPP with a limitation on what powers can go into it.

I am more inclined towards what Redmenace suggested, assuming that her Detect is always working via a particular sense group (sight I'm assuming). The effect of her power is that she has N-ray vision for whatever she's looking for at that moment in time. You'd need a limitation for "person must be nearby who is aware where object would be".

It seems to me like the player wants to be able to detect a laundry list of things that are most useful to them and tacks on "mutant" as some kind of special effect justification (problem #892 that I have with the "mutant" concept). Make your player choose a specific special effect like "magnetic powers" (can detect large amounts of iron or steel on a person) or "empathic" (can detect human suffering on a large scale - like hospitals or disaster areas) and build the powers off of that. If they just want to stick to the "porter" (and anyone who uses that term always makes me want to ask them to carry my bags) then let them buy N-Ray vision or Clairsentience with the special effect that they're "gating" their eyes to some location (tack on limitations for them having to specify where their eyes are gating to).

Well it does put a lot of senarios on ice but hey its a Super power...:) Maybe a Multi-power is a low cost and less wide ranging method of resolving this power maybe add in the "Psionic" lim based on the special effect to show it activates mental awareness and gets stopped by mental def and some sorts of illusions/images......

You need to be a pretty mature player and have a good GM to handle a "I can Detect Anything" type of character. Locating a hostage or a missing widget becomes really easy if the Detector can just find it. Tracking down supervillains is also a lot easier.