Martial arts - maneuvers or power framework?

iena

Dears, 

I hope this is the right place for this kind of question. 

One premise: I don't want to put in discussion the effectiveness of the design of the 6th edition but just to know your preferences or your approach. 

In the creation of a character "martial artist" do you prefer to buy the classic martial maneuvers or do you prefer generate the maneuvers with a power framework? I'm asking this because, from a certain point of view, the martial arts as they are conceived (maneuvers that can cost 4-5 CP) seem something "separated" or not well integrated with the rest of the core rules... In your opinion which is the most satisfying approach? 

Thanks in advance 

I have not found it to be a huge problem. In most games I have DC caps if I anticipate it could get beyond what is expected for genre. Hero has enough different mechanisms for damage and defense that martial maneuvers just bring one more option of play style. Do you have a specific problem in mind you are trying to address? Do they seem too cheap? I find that in lower point games some people rely on them for damage but those tend to be games where guns are common and don't cost points (or are in equipment pools) so it is not a big deal. 

If you have seen a problem, though, doesn't matter what anyone else's games are like, feel free to adjust it for yours.

- E

If you are doing straight up direct attacks, a multipower with strength, OCV and DCV in variable slots is hard to beat.  When you add AP HA or things like that it becomes better.  But the martial maneuvers have other neat effects you can't easily recreate in a multipower.  The Flying Dodge is an effective abortable dodge/dive for cover combo.  The takedowns (legsweep, takedown, etc) are a guaranteed drop the target to 1/2 DCV.  Reversal is actually an escape and grab.  The NND attacks can be used to impair and disable.  Also, martial maneuvers help to set a vision as to what the character is doing.  A multiform with extra strength for a grab isn't as interesting as a ProWrestling Crush in terms of visualization.

I’ve seen a build of MP-martial arts. The advantage was that it was easier to add weapons to a slot. The (minor) disadvantage was that a Throw isn’t as effective as a martial throw. Why? Because a martial throw automatically throws a person who is hit and you can lift however a throw defined as  Blast with KB well you have to make the KB.