'18-'19 NBA Thread, aka "The #&$!&#* Warriors win again"

• 2 weeks later...

I'm assuming it makes you chuckle because the Warriors lost; not that it was great to see two world class players in their prime get horrible injuries in the finals? 

But it was a great season and this Free Agency has been just as amazing...The Teams are no longer in charge. For better or worse, the Star Players are in charge of their own destiny to a greater degree than I've seen in any sports league in history.

Well Los Angeles has 4 of the best players in the NBA right now. Three in their primes. One a Legend...

It's just that they're split between two teams and the team that looks poised to win it all is not the one with LeBron and AD. The Clippers have claimed the mantle favorite from their cross-town rivals the Los Angeles Side Show...I mean Lakers.

I'm laughing my ass off.

The EAST:

The East is open AF right now with Kyrie Irving off to awkwardly "lead" another team. If he can keep from alienating the team long enough for KD to get back (and not alienate the team...Honestly they're two of the more interesting, fragile minds in sports...) Toronto got a championship with the Kawhi rental so that's cool Now they have a good team but the probably won't repeat as EC Champs But who knows?  The Celtics replacing Kyrie with Kemba Walker seems like a step down but may be better for chemistry. But they lost their Joel Embiid stopper to...the Sixers. Who look radically different as well. The Bucks lost some scoring but seem to come back mostly in tact, and kept Eric Bledsoe despite his post season struggles. The Hornets are now in free fall, Miami has grabbed Jimmy Butler but traded away a lot of their team so they're going to look very different next year. Go get the east Meyers. The Bulls are...still...odd on poop show, ditto the Wizards. Who cast a spell of "Poor Basketball Decisions." every year. With this be the year it all comes together for Indiana or Orlando? And wow...has anyone told the Knicks that they've never been a marquee franchise and they should really start trying to build through the draft and not landing Free Agents who aren't going to the Garden. Ever. They are almost 50 years away from their Championship Days...and their owner is a moron. 

The West:

With the Warriors down 2 of the 3 top players the west is all open. Which is probably why Portland turned over more than half their roster after making the conference finals renting Hassan Whiteside for Nurkic's recovery time and losing a bunch of guys who I loved as gritty second teamers for a new batch of guys I'll probably love as gritty second teamers. Utah has gone all in hoping to fill Golden State's void, and they looked like good shots to do that until Kawhi and Paul George moved to Clipperland. The Grizzlies are rebuilding with two dynamic youngsters. Dallas retired Dirk while grabbing two European superstars. The Unicorn and Doncic could be amazing. San Antonio is SA and until I see differently, they're somewhere between 5th and 8th seed in the west. Houston went into panic mode but found no one to make deals with. Which might help them win the Title. If Paul has anything left and the trade bait players don't pout, Hardin should guide them to ta top four seed in the west..on his own. But, being Hardin, his jumping into people to buy contact fouls will work less well in the playoffs where "Let them play" has been the mantra since I was born and the Rockets will get run off the court in ignoble fashion when they feel it slipping away and stop trying. New Orleans will be interesting to watch if only to see Young Larry Johnson The Second (or Young Charles Barkley the Third) throw his body around for his rookie year. Minnesota will disappoint? Probably. Denver is standing pat as they feel they have what it takes and they might not be wrong. The Lakers should make the playoffs unless injuries, father time, and bad front office derails them. Sacramento will be wild and unpredictable...and probably bad. Phoenix will be bad. (cut and paste from last year) OKC should finally be bad. Been hearing rumblings of them trading Westbrook this summer because they couldn't hold onto George and in a best for both parties they could reward Westbrook for his service by sending him elsewhere and not forcing him to prop up a sinking ship, somehting he's incapable of doing. His amazing talents are marred by his bad shooting. 

I'm forgetting things. But it's one of those years where everything is up for grabs. If the Lakers had managed to grab Kawhi it would have been all but over. But instead  he went to the Clippers, built his own "super team," and blew the league wide open.