'18-'19 NBA Thread, aka "The #&$!&#* Warriors win again"

On 5/27/2019 at 7:10 AM, Michael Hopcroft said:

The finals are set. Golden State's sacrificial victim opponent is Toronto.

I believe this is the first Finals appearance for a Canadian team. Which means they'll really make history in the unlikely even they win -- oh, never mind. The Warriors are going to devour their hopes because that's what they do.

:nya:

This is indeed the first Finals appearance for a Canadian team, Toronto currently being the only Canadian team in the NBA. The Raptors' success is turning into a national phenomenon, with Canadians coast-to-coast assembling to cheer them on. I haven't seen patriotic sports fervor like this since the Toronto Blue Jays won back-to-back World Series.

Yes, I know the NBA final is a long way from over. But you can't have pro sports discussions without a little gloating. :winkgrin:

Oh, and just to bookend the basketball references:

44 minutes ago, Starlord said:

The Golden State Warriors drafted Carter in 1999, then promptly traded him to the Toronto Raptors, where he was the team's star player for four seasons. It's nice to see the Warriors repeating their generosity. :snicker:

On 6/6/2019 at 8:45 AM, Lord Liaden said:

The Raptors' success is turning into a national phenomenon, with Canadians coast-to-coast assembling to cheer them on. I haven't seen patriotic sports fervor like this since the Toronto Blue Jays won back-to-back World Series.

Most Americans are cheering the Raptors on as well.

11 hours ago, massey said:

Most Americans are cheering the Raptors on as well.

But not as many after the reaction in the arena to Durant's injury. It is normal to applaud an injured player when he leaves the court or arena out of encouragement, regardless of which team the player is on. But a large group of the Toronto fans cheered that Durant was injured, one of the least classy things you can do at a sporting event. As a result, the Raptors fanbase has been under a storm of criticism.

I don't think Toronto wins this; not anymore. Game 5 was a backbreaker, with the Raptors head coach calling a stupid time out right when Leonard was on one of the hottest streaks you will ever see from which the Warriors gained substantial benefit. Golden State proved they could take the Raptors' best shot and prevail. All the momentum and energy is on their side.

Lots of people in Toronto will be into work late Friday morning. If they don't just call in sick.

29 minutes ago, Pariah said:

OUTSTANDING!!

Congratulations to the Toronto Raptors, who join hockey's St. Louis Blues in winning their first-ever championship. 

St. Louis had to endure a much longer wait, though.

An interesting fact I heard on the radio this morning:

The Toronto Raptors became the first Canadian team to win an NBA championship, but there are no Canadian players on the team. Eleven of the sixteen players on the roster are Americans.

The St. Louis Blues, who won Lord Stanley's Cup the night before, have nineteen Canadian players, but only three Americans.

The Raps did it. KD and Klay both have torn ACLs. Neither will be doing much of anything for a while. Meanwhile the Lakers traded for Anthony Davis unloading the least good of their young core (IMO) and 3 first round picks including the #4. The Lakers will be picking for the Pelicans. In theory the Lakers can swing the trade to get them some serious cap room too.

Houston is looking to possibly blow things up. Chris Paul reportedly wants out and maybe to be a Laker (I almost want it to happen since it will prevent them from winning a Title.)

Boston is looking at Kyrie looking at New Jersey. The Knicks are looking like idiots. 

We'll see which of these threads plays out.

14 hours ago, Starlord said:

Once again, Lebron has proven himself to be an powerful GM.  :)

I'll be interested to see how AD's health and Lebron's Longevity hold out. The Lakers front office doesn't fill me with confidence. This was a pretty good deal for them. They get to keep Kuzma who IMO was the best of the three players generally spoken of. But he has defensive limitations the others might not have. With Golden State down two of their top three players for the foreseeable future and Houston possibly imploding...the Lakers suddenly become a hot topic. Mostly because the media ignores Portland and Denver until the end of the season when their precious Knicks and Lakers have once again fallen with a whimper. How bad is the Knicks outlook? They thought they'd get KD and Kyrie and now KD is out and Kyrie is rumored to be (like Paul) interested with playing in LA with AD. 

What if Kahwi leaves Toronto? 

Will Boston be better by Subtraction if Kyrie leaves?

Sounds like Tobias Harris is looking to leave Philly.

And it seems everyone is suddenly forgetting the Bucks. Which could be a mistake. 

Gosh I'm looking forward to next season already.

Things will be interesting for the Pelicans. Zion Williamson has the potential to be a generational player but he will still be a rookie who needs to adjust to the speed and rigors of the pro game. The young players they got from the Lakers have some intriguing possibilities. Lonzo Ball hasn't become great, ut his assist totals aren't bad and by all accounts he is now playing pretty good defense at the point. He could thrive in New Orleans if Dad lets him be coached. Ingram has serious potential as well.

They'll be young. They won't have a ton of experience. They won't really know what they've got until 25-30 games into the season. During that period they could lose a lot of games. But if there's one thing we've learned this season, both in basketball and in hockey, is not to give up on a team too soon. Not many people (myself included) expected the Raptors to win the title. Not many people expected Portland to make a run to the conference finals. This has been a year of surprises.