'18-'19 NBA Thread, aka "The #&$!&#* Warriors win again"

Ehh, Wilt gets that whole selfish scorer rep thing.  And he was with the Warriors.  But, with the 76ers and Lakers, he was much more team oriented.  More so than Jordan or Kobe ever were.  (admittedly sometimes Wilt would pass just to jack up his assists totals).  With the Lakers, he was the really the 3rd option scoring (taking a back seat to West and somewhat the aging Baylor).  Wilt is the only player to put up a triple-20. (and did it 2-3 times).  And he also led the league one year in assists.  (and if I remember assists were giving out much more strictly in the 1960s, so it could be argued he might have put up a triple double season if assists were given out the way they are now, if so.)

Just saying while he had his flaws (and was seriously lacking in a good teammate sense, but so was Jordan and Byrant, and he also had a tendency to loaf in certain games) he was much more complete player in the 2nd half of his career, than again Jordan or Kobe.  And from what I have heard what would get his corpse to spin in its grave would be calling him a one-dimensional brute as it were. 

Jordan was one of those players who turned out to be a terrible coach and not-much-better owner. Magic didn't make a good coach either after his playing career was cut short after his initial HIV diagnosis (he is now in remission, although conspiracy theories abound), but he has proven to be good at managing ownership groups as a semi-hands-on partial owner of the Dodgers. Not sure what sort of teammate it was, but he was such a good player at just about every facet at the game that his flaws were concealable (although womanizing did have terrible consequences for him; he terrified people when his diagnosis was announced because HIV was much, much more stigmatized in 1993 than it is now). Larry Bird has tried to manage an NBA team, and it didn't really work out (I don't know if he still has any involvement with the Pacers).

Good-but-not great players seem to make the best NBA coaches among ex-players. Nate McMillan stands out as a good player who became a good coach (though he has yet to win a championship, he coached some pretty good teams in Portland). Kevin McHale is also a very good coach).

Harden has continuously come up short in clutch time, he is not close to the great scorers yet IMO.  Till then he's just another Bernard King or Dominique.

PS:  It's possible that if he had more 'jerk' in his personality, he'd stop choking when it matters.  :)

23 hours ago, Grailknight said:

Wilt Chamberlain"s corpse spins in its grave when you say thing like that. 

yeah, I was giving a lot of scorers a poor shot there (Pun intended) Honestly, I'd have liked to see guys like Jerry West or Elgin Baylor with 3 point shots. I don't think Wilt would have made too much of a dent with those. 

Wilt, Karl Malone, and Kareem are tremendous scorers, but Wilt didn't have the luxury of a 20 year career. Though to be honest, I don't think Wilt would worry about my slight. 

However, I tend to give the Harden, Kobe, MJ prop out of angry deference to the fact that they're better players than I want to give them credit. Kobe has 2 more Titles than He should have IMO. And if I'm lucky Harden won't get one.

Said that about LeBron and KD too, *sigh* some guys I soften on over the years, LeBron, Magic, and Shaq being the three I look back now with kind of a fondness. Still hate Jordan, Kobe, and Harden tho. Bill Lambier too.

12 hours ago, Starlord said:

Harden has continuously come up short in clutch time, he is not close to the great scorers yet IMO.  Till then he's just another Bernard King or Dominique.

PS:  It's possible that if he had more 'jerk' in his personality, he'd stop choking when it matters.  :)

Yeah this is why. Harden's come up gloriously short. His game is predictable but not as overpowering as Jordan or Wilt 

King was derailed by injury but I never saw him in his prime so don't know how good a closer he was.

I'll also die on the hill that Kobe was less adept at clutch shooting than he and his fans think (the guys who hit the daggers were Big Shot Rob and Derek Fisher) Kobe would pout during the playoffs.

Harden's chokes are what I breathe when I feel bad. Paul too.

35 minutes ago, Enforcer84 said:

I'll also die on the hill that Kobe was less adept at clutch shooting than he and his fans think (the guys who hit the daggers were Big Shot Rob and Derek Fisher) Kobe would pout during the playoffs.

I'm pretty sure I saw numbers that show Kobe's shooting percentage is pretty low in the last minute or two of games, however my memory says he always played big in key games and, of course, would completely shut down the best opposing scorer.

2 hours ago, Starlord said:

I'm pretty sure I saw numbers that show Kobe's shooting percentage is pretty low in the last minute or two of games, however my memory says he always played big in key games and, of course, would completely shut down the best opposing scorer.

2 hours ago, Badger said:

Probably was low, because he was dribbling around being guarded by 4 guys, and completely ingnoring the 3 wide-open teammates and lofting an ill-advised off-balane 20 footer as the shot clock expired. ;)

It was mostly this.

• 3 weeks later...

What do you do if you have the sort of dynamic, popular and respected young player you can build a good franchise around for a decade?

Well, if you're the Knicks, you trade him for almost nothing of any real value.

That's what happened with Kristaps Porzingis last week. He got sent to Dallas for essentially expiring contracts and cap space. Mind you, Porzingis was was not happy with Knicks management (although, to be honest, who would be?) but the rapidity of the deal suggests that they might have gotten a better offer closer to the deadline. Porzingis is lost for this season to injury, but is a restricted free agent at the end of the season -- and probably would not have signed with the Knicks long-term.

With Dirk Nowitzki lasting two or three years at most and already transitioning into a reserve/mentor role, and a new European star in Luka Dončić taking over as the face of the franchise, the Mavs are a team in flux. A healthy Prozingis in 2019-20 gives them rebounding, toughness, and an additional offensive option (if he comes back at all this season the Mavs would count themselves lucky). They will also be in the lottery (their 24-28 record is good for twelfth in the West, although it's certainly respectable for a team in this stage of generational shift), but might not have a selection as the pick is involved in the Trae Young trade with the Hawks that landed them Luka Dončić.

Even after the Phil Jackson fiasco, Knicks management is a mess. 

New York is a mess. The only way this works out for them is that the rumors of Kevin Durant and Kyrie Irving wanting to jump ship to the Knicks in the summer are more than fever dreams by New York media.

also it's looking like the Anthony Davis train to LA has sort of derailed in that New Orleans wants the moon. (Possibly rightfully so) That may still get done but it will require a lot from the Lakers in the form of picks, and young talent. 

Also Lonzo's dad reminded the Pelicans that they don't want to deal with his family. 

Yeah, I can deal with UCF's.  (though any one wearing black sneakers will look like they are running on their ankles)

Oregon's looks like a drunk got a hold of the sander.

Note: In that article, it said Oregon designed it to look like a heavily wooded area, which I didn't notice on their court until reading that article, call that a design  fail,

Edit: I have to admit I am a fan of coloring "in the paint" with the team color, slap a log at half court, and be done with it.  (Coloring all but inside the paint as it were always looks weird to me).  (and sometimes I think the logo slapped at halfcourt is a cheap attempt to confuse the refs on backcourt violations)

• 2 weeks later...

Briefly say MN court tonight,  like a walk through snow on a sunny day.

With what happened to Zion, I guess we'll start seeing top college prospects start faking injuries in December to shut down and avoid injury.  (seems rapidly becoming the best way to get a great contract in basketball is to avoid playing competitive basketball at all cost)

Zion's accident (which can;t be good for Nike, who made the imploding shoe and paid the university to make him wear them -- I don't know if Coach K himself gets a cut) has renewed the debate over whether it's better to let players come into the league as soon as they come of age, or require them to wait a year after graduation. zion isn't the first example of this discussion even this season. Take the case of former Oregon center Bol Bol. Son of an NBA legend, the younger Bol literally went to high school majoring in basketball and would have been a top prospect had he gone into the 2018 draft. Then he got a severe injury and was lost for the season with the Ducks right at the start of conference play, turning the odds-on favorite to win the Pac-12 and make a deep run in the tournament into a bystander. And since he'll go pro anyway, Oregon gets nothing for their investment. But Bol loses out too -- he might lose out on substantial money the farther he falls on the draft board. I Personally think he'll be a mediocre pro. He brings a 7'7" frame and length to the game but the league has largely consigned the center position to inside bangers and defenders, and Bol doesn't have the strength or toughness to survive 82 games of trading bodies and elbows with sturdier players.

I personally think that if you're going to college you should have, at least in the back of your mind, designs on earning a degree. Otherwise, you're wasting your time. Lebron James hardly suffered for not having spent a year at a top basketball school -- he'd "majored in basketball" his entire life and his "Basketball IQ" is the sharpest weapon he has 9and he has many, many weapons). But at the same time 18-year-olds often show alarmingly bad judgment.

• 2 weeks later...

Lebron James passed Jordan for 4th on the all-time scoring list last night.

He is now only around 6000 pts from Kareem at #1.  Incredibly, he is also about 1500 assists from Magic at #5 On the assists list.

At his current avgs, he can reach both 3yrs from now on his current Lakers contract.  None of the other top scorers break the top 30 in assists.