Finally got my FHC!

Duke Bushido

Yeah, I know; I know.  I'm the only here who didn't have it all ready.  To be fair, I had the PDF download available the day I ordered, but I'd rather thumb a book..  It's just me, I guess. 

I'd been following the tracking, and the day it was due, I was so hungry with anticipation that I spent all day in eyeshot of the mailbox: cutting grass (but only on that side of the house :D), ripping vines, tuning the bikes and doing some routine maintenance on the Leviathan. (Don't know why; at 460,000 miles, she needs a donor more than a she needs a set of plugs and a cabin air filter).

The day dragged on.

No postman. 

The kids mentioned that they hadn't seen a postman all week.

I checked tracking again. 

It was marked delivered. 

I went back to the mailbox, just to see if the postman had some sort of new stealth tech.  If he did, it was working on my book, too.  It certainly couldn't be seen in my ridiculously ample mailbox. 

I checked tracking again.  It was still marked delivered.  I checked deeper.  It was delivered.  To my PO box. 

I don't have a PO box. 

A few minutes ago, I get a knock on my door.  There is a couple standing on my porch with an arm load of mail: "are you Duke?"

Seems they moved about a week ago, and filled out a change of address card with the PO.  (something I cannot recommend against doing strongly enough; I have run into serious issues with that the only two times I have ever done it.  My suggestion is to tell your friends, your debtors, your creditors, and your agents and leave the PO out of it completely! ).

So for the past week, the have been receiving mail for three different families (all in this neighborhood, which they just moved from) who had the same last name. 

So here it is, midday Sunday, and I just all my mail for the week.

Which means I won't be reading my new book until much, much later... :(

Gotta love beaurocracy. 

Yes; I have finally gotten it into my hands, into my eyes, and sort of into my brain.

Alas, my frustration got worse: when I finished reading it, I went to put it on the shelf with my other HERO books, and noticed that my Western Hero is missing (the original yellow one with 3rd edition (ish) rules.

Hardest book in my collection to find, and the one that I used the most for non-supers stuff.  And >pfft<   

Gone.

Ugh.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/1/2018 at 6:37 PM, Lord Liaden said:

I really like my FHC. It's clearly a continuation of FH 4E in substance and style, complementing and expanding the material in the preceding book. To be honest, I felt the FHC II was a step down, adding stuff for the sake of selling another book.

That’s funny! I was reading FHC as Fantasy Hero Complete, and couldn’t figure out why I had missed FHC II. Then I realized you mean Fantasy Hero Companion

Really, my jaw dropped when I thought Duke was reading a 6e book. . .

On October 2, 2018 at 7:59 PM, Brian Stanfield said:

That’s funny! I was reading FHC as Fantasy Hero Complete, and couldn’t figure out why I had missed FHC II. Then I realized you mean Fantasy Hero Companion

Really, my jaw dropped when I thought Duke was reading a 6e book. . .

If it helps, yes: I am reading a 6e book.  I mentioned somewhere here that while I don't even like Fantasy as a genre (it really is my least favorite.  I'd rather endure a Twighlight / Hunger Games mash-up than read fantasy, in most cases), I have always had an appreciation for Fantasy Hero.  Not because I'm a HERO fanboy (though I am), but because it doesn't _feel_ like most fantasy games.  Perhaps because it doesn't lock you into a setting or a world like other fantasy games?  Maybe because there are no pre-ordained character molds and behavior patterns?  Wizards in plate mail and barbarians casting spells?  Maybe because if I want elves to be a hidden race of dumpy, shiftless no-goodnicks hiding in a pocket dimension, spreading lies about their beauty, talents, and harmonious living there is nothing in the book that says I can't?

I don't know.  I really don't.

Accordingly, I haven't missed a Fantasy Hero rules book / genre book yet.  I don't do the setting books, etc-- I don't like the genre.  But I do want to support the continuation of the line. :lol:  More importantly, I want to support the continuation of a "Complete" line-- everything in ONE THIN (ish) BOOK that can be read quickly, digested easily, and referenced instantly.  I picked up Champions Complete for that last reason (that, and I wanted to support Derrick's work, of course).  Though I don't like most of the things I've heard about it, if I can get up a bit more mad money before the deadline, I will probably back Champions Now for that last reason, as well.

Besides, FHC or CC either one gives me a refresher of the 6e rules without having to wade through the encyclopedia it has become. ;)

On 10/4/2018 at 10:24 PM, Duke Bushido said:

If it helps, yes: I am reading a 6e book.  I mentioned somewhere here that while I don't even like Fantasy as a genre (it really is my least favorite.

This is what surprised me. Not a fan of Fantasy, and not a 6e fan either. I was surprised and fascinated that you got the book!

On an unrelated note, 

I very much like your choice of avatar.  Way back in the 80s, I thought he was just another flash-in-the-pan so-so, not-particularly-talent muscle-man action star.

Then one day I saw part of an interview with him.  Over the decade I saw two more interviews with him.  I never would have thought it (and am rather ashamed to admit) that I had made the mistake of confusing "uneducated" with "unintelligent" and "celebrity" with "self-absorbed."

Mr T has been a highly-regarded personal hero of mine for thirty years now.

My finest compliments on your tastes. :)