Average CV in your Campaig

Tywyll

What is the average CV in your campaign of PCs and NPCs? I thought I had a decent idea from the Bestiary but then looking at the complete fantasy extras, all the characters and monsters seem to have a fairly 'high' CV. Is the Bestiary just low, especially humanoids? Does CF have a power creep? 

On 3/28/2020 at 2:50 AM, bluesguy said:

With or without levels & martial arts?

PC w/ levels - 9 to 12 (levels + martial arts usually make up 1/2 of the CV)

NPC w/ levels - 4 to 12 (again levels + martial arts usually make up 1/2 of the CV; except for the ones with a 4)

Thanks for that! So when you use the stats of, say, an Orc from the Bestiary do you add levels and MA to their build? Otherwise they seem far from those levels on their own!

I mean the default demon only has a CV of like 6 I think, with a single Combat level. 

13 hours ago, Tywyll said:

Thanks for that! So when you use the stats of, say, an Orc from the Bestiary do you add levels and MA to their build? Otherwise they seem far from those levels on their own!

Ok I am going to use my favorite project manager answer ... It depends 😀

For instance if the players are going to have big fight with a bunch of orcs (think 3 or 4 to 1 type odds) then the vast majority of the orcs are going to be pretty much like what is in the Bestiary.  I will treat them as one or two hit wonders.  I will probably throw in a few tougher orcs that will have a level or two and won't be one/two hit wonders and then I will probably toss in a leader plus a few lieutenants to make things interesting.  The leader will be very tough and skilled and the lieutenants will be almost as tough and skilled.

I personally like running a very cinematic game.  Let me use this scene from LOTR Fellowship of the Ring.  Up until the 1:15 or so point in this clip our heroes are killing everyone they hit with one shot.  When Aragorn fights the orc between 1:17 and 1:21 it take a few hits - that would be the orcs that are not one hit wonders.  Even when Pippin and Merry get into the fight they are killing orcs with one or two blows.  And at 2:55 to about 3:10 Aragorn seems to be fighting with what I would classify as a lieutenant.

And when it comes to fighting the leader of the orcs Aragorn has his hands full.

13 hours ago, Tywyll said:

I mean the default demon only has a CV of like 6 I think, with a single Combat level. 

The thing that makes demons so damn scary is how tough they should be.  High Body, Stun, rPD/rED + Damage Resistance except vs. holy items and high recovery.  You can hit them all day long and it should mostly bounce off.  On the other hand they hit the PC then nasty things should happen to them.  This is where a demon should have the ability to use PRE to basically scare the crap out of PCs. 

On 3/31/2020 at 3:39 AM, bluesguy said:

The thing that makes demons so damn scary is how tough they should be.  High Body, Stun, rPD/rED + Damage Resistance except vs. holy items and high recovery.  You can hit them all day long and it should mostly bounce off.  On the other hand they hit the PC then nasty things should happen to them.  This is where a demon should have the ability to use PRE to basically scare the crap out of PCs. 

I think this is very much something that many of us forget.  A really scary demon should be ABLE to rip your head off but it lumbers about missing and tearing up the scenery.  You turn and fight and despite hitting it again and again, you make no difference and every round in combat risks the lucky hit.  You NEED to think out the box, dipping into combat every now and again to give others time to do something clever, take chances.

The demon does not have to be doing damage to be scary, just nigh on unstoppable with the potential of a lucky hit killing you.  🙂