Newbish question about endurance, strength, flight, and martial maneuvers.

Panpiper

I am not really a newbie and should know the answer to these questions, but I've been away from Hero for too long. I hope someone will indulge my memory.

I have a strength based character (strength 50) who has a couple of martial maneuvers (Flying Grab and Passing Strike) to compliment her flight of 40 meters. I am not certain how much endurance she is going to be using when she takes her actions. The flight has half endurance cost built in, her strength has no such reduced endurance. I am pretty sure that if I do a passing strike, it will cost her 8 endurance, 5 for strength and 3 for flight (probably need to buy more endurance and recovery frankly). But what about the flying grab? Does she use strength to initiate the grab, or only if and when the grabbed one (assuming success) attempts to break out of the grab? 

Any advice on how to handle the endurance, as she's apparently going to be using a lot of it?

I have no idea if this is RAW (because I am lazily not opening the books almost 8 feet away from my desk) but I would expect the player to tell me how much STR they are using in the grab before they see whether or not they are successful.  If the grab is successful, they can exert that much STR.

It would be like the player telling me they are going to punch someone and then waiting to see if they are successful before telling me how much STR (and so how much damage) they intend to apply.  🙂

Doc

Ah, sorry. When I was thinking grab, I was just thinking of the holding part, not necessarily doing damage to them. Certainly if I wanted to grab and 'squeeze', that would involve using strength and therefor endurance. What if the character just wanted to grab someone and fly into the air with them, without doing strength damage, just using strength to hold on to them, not to do damage dice?

I don’t think you understand how grab works.  When you grab someone they are allowed to try and break your grab in an opposed STR roll.  That means if you are not paying the END for your full STR your grab is going to be less effective.  Martial Grab gives you a bonus to your STR for holding someone.  Assuming you have not bought any extra DC your STR for holding someone is 60.   To utilize the 60 STR you have to pay the END for your full STR.  You could of course choose to use less STR and then would only have to pay the END for however much STR  you used.  So let’s say that you only use 30 STR, you would pay 3 END for the STR and have a grab of 40 STR.

Like Pawsplay said you only pay for END once per phase no matter how often you use it. What normally happens is that when a character is using STR they pay the END for their full STR.  This allows them to use their full STR for any purpose during the phase at full. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/16/2020 at 5:32 AM, LoneWolf said:

Like Pawsplay said you only pay for END once per phase no matter how often you use it. What normally happens is that when a character is using STR they pay the END for their full STR.  This allows them to use their full STR for any purpose during the phase at full. 

There is one situation (multiple attack) where you will pay for end more than once for strength, but in the rules, it explicitly calls out that you will pay the extra end.  In general, you only pay end once for strength.

Regarding Passing strike.  

5 END for strength

2 END for Flight, reduced endurance is a rare modifier that the Active Points do not add to the END Cost.  Even if it did it would be a 50 active point power or 2.5 end, which rounds in your favor to 2