100% Sure there is an easier way

JmOz

I think that, once we say it is important to be able to imprison a target, the ability to imprison needs to be paid for.  Physical manifestation means the source of the power can be damaged/destroyed, not "it also imprisons a target for free as long as it stays up and running".  That puts it back to a Barrier.  12 rPD and rED costs 36 points, and 1 BOD costs 1 point (note that it could have 0 BOD and just wink out if its defenses are breached, so 37 points so far.  It's non-anchored, so that's +10 points.  It needs to be at least 4m long or tall to englobe, so let's make it 7 m long and tall (12 more points).  That's 59 points, and it should now englobe a character in a 4 m radius (so it can be used smaller to just fit a target, or up to 4m radius to cover multiple targets).  Now it needs that Life Support, +1/4 4 m radius, Linked to the bubble (OK, "ends if bubble popped").  It probably also needs to be Persistent or Uncontrolled to just keep going even if the creator leaves, is KOd, etc. [COSTS EDITED]

Given it only needs to be able to Englobe prisoners, it could take Extra Time (or, as Doc suggests,, be two MP slots, making it take a bit of extra time anyway), have Limited or No Range on the barrier, be Inaccurate (-1/2, 0 OCV) - lots of "not in combat" limitations could reduce the real cost, but not the active point cost.

Wouldn't Change Environment be a better choice than Life Support?

I say this because what if you chose to bubble two different aliens in the same bubble and they breathed incompatible gas mixtures? By the definition of Life Support, they could both breathe, but logically, one of them shouldn't.

22 hours ago, Ninja-Bear said:

Hugh, I believe your numbers are off on the Bubble. Plus if your englobed, you’re already nonanchored and as I said before, I really don’t think you need LS AoE. 

Without looking at my prior post, +2 points of rPD or rED for 3 points, so 12/12 is 24/2 x 3 = 36

+1 BOD costs 1 point (but I'd go 0 BOD - it breaks and it vanishes).

It starts 1m long and 1m tall.  I want it 7m long and 7 m tall so it has the target and 3 meters from the target in all directions.  +1m of length or height costs 1 CP so 12. 

That's 49 - I am pretty sure I had a different number above.  YUP - edited.  Another 10 points to make it non-anchored is 59.

Hero 6e v1 p

Barriers are not inherently airtight. They do not prevent gases, mists, and the like from passing through them, nor do they cause an englobed character (see below) to suffocate. At the GM’s discretion, a character can make a PD Barrier airtight by Linking Life Support (Self-Contained Breathing) to it, and then it will block gases, vapors, and similar physical effects in most cases (the GM is, as always, the final arbiter of what a Barrier blocks, based on special effects, common sense, and dramatic sense).

Later on that same page

A Barrier must touch the ground, but need not touch any other surface unless the GM rules otherwise. (But see the Non-Anchored Adder, below.) Depending on the setting, circumstances, power, special effects, and the like, “the ground” may not necessarily be the literal ground. It might be a building rooftop, a really large tree branch,

or on top of some other horizontal surface, but it must be horizontal and the Barrier has to be on top of it — it can’t be attached just to a vertical surface or a ceiling. The requirement that a Barrier “touch” more than a single surface is a -0 Limitation.

Similarly, a Barrier must be “attached” to the ground, in that no one can freely move it without overcoming its BODY and PD in a “push” or “shove” intended to break it free and move it (rather than simply breaking it altogether). Once it’s detached, the ability to move it depends on its weight (as determined by the GM), the pushing character’s STR, the surfaces involved, and similar factors.

So I believe that you are anchored and you do need LS  if you want the air to stay in the barrier.  If you want to create the globe in space, then you need to create some air, which would be LS, AoE.  I'd suggest that is also the case if you want any new air so the target does not suffocate later as he uses up all the oxygen.

Change Environment is an interesting option,  but would need to be AoE, 0 END and Persistent, so it would likely be even more pricy.  Limiting the LS to only one type of atmosphere could be similar to expanded breathing - instead of being able to breathe in one unusual environment, this allows those who can breathe in one particular environment to breathe.

3 hours ago, Ninja-Bear said:

I looked up LS under Ultimate Vehicle and LS is not bought with AoE.  However Backup LS is bought with a limitation of a defined Area.

Building the bubble as a vehicle is a different possibility.  The barrier approach seems a lot more straightforward than summoning a vehicle with no independent movement.