Anime Gothic Western Hero?

steriaca

Re: Anime Gothic Western Hero?

Well, my first suggestion would be to look for a copy of the old Horror HERO 4E supplement. One of the sample campaign settings is a supernatural Old West, with various NPCs (heroic and villainous), demons, and an occult conspiracy. There should be lots there to crib for the kind of campaign you describe.

For a stronger dose of the Old West, Western HERO would of course be appropriate. As for anime flavor, if you can't find inspiration from all the characters and settings in Surbrook's Stuff, you're just not trying. ;)

My take on it would be to watch Cowboy Bebop.

Ignore all the technological elements, just focus on the things that make it go.

Bounty hunters, ex-lawmen, gambling debts, deadly rivalries, organized crime, gang warfare, food shortages and guns, guns, guns.

And a wicked cool soundtrack.

I might as well tell you the setting ideal.

Basicly, it is a western, with magic tossed in. And western basterizations of Elegent Gothic Lolita fashions also.

Witches exist. Vampiers exist. The walking dead exist. Wear-beings exist. Indians exist. Gamblers exist. Riverboats exist.

Magic is mostly the property of witches. Only females can become witches. Most witches are, at least grey in outlook. Vary few are black witches and white witches. Beyond the name, evey witch wears at least one thing in black.

There are men who cast spells, but thay are considered outlaws called warlocks (a name holder till I can think up another name).

There is an offical way for men to cast spells. Theas male spellcastrs are called spellslingers, and thay 'project' there magic through the guns thay carrie around with them.

Any ideals on your part?

Well for images I would suggest looking for certain Clamp titles and Angel Sanctuary for women (images realy do help players to get in the mood). It sounds interesting so far, is this campaign you are planning to run for a group or PBeM? Just curious.

G

Well for images I would suggest looking for certain Clamp titles and Angel Sanctuary for women (images realy do help players to get in the mood). It sounds interesting so far, is this campaign you are planning to run for a group or PBeM? Just curious.

G

Acualy...it was sort of an ideal of a manga I always wanted to see, but so far never did. I would be happy to play in such a game, thoe. I might even run the darn thing as a Yahoo! group.

It basicly is just only an ideal. An a great excuse to slip in (eventuly) a sceen with a woman tied to the train tracks in a fanticy game.

Oh, and I woulden't mind if some people say 'that sounds cool, let me see what I can create charater wise'. (300 point charaters, 150 disavantages, can buy normal equipment, but must pay for magic).

I am assuming you are already aware of "Deadlands, the Weird West" by Pinnacle Entertainment. If not, try to track down the original books, not the latest D20 conversions. This setting is very similar to what you are describing. Also, there are a number of web-rings for Deadlands that you might find useful.

My other suggestion would be to take a look at "Castle Falkenstein", although this is less gothic, it does have both magic and the wild west in the setting.

I agree with the previously referenced "Horror Hero" setting. Good stuff there.

Well, there is actually.

Wild Arms has been made into an anime (for a series dammit, not the OAV treatment they deserved).

Eat Man though post-apoc has an old west feel to it in parts (rather lousy series though, I'd avoid it.)

I'd have to do a bit of searching, but I'm sure there are more.

I actually picked up a copy of a comic called "The Ballid of Sleeping Beauty" during free comic book day a couple weeks ago. It was one of the give aways. There are likely still copies lying around in your local comics retailer.

It it was a retelling of the story of Sleeping Beauty set in the old west. It cast an old indian crone in place of the witch and a grim gunslinger in place of the prince. It was remarkably atmospheric, and pretty much exactly what you are describing.