What "Pulp" have you read lately ?

• Please log in to reply
169 replies to this topic

#161 Spence

Spence

Anime...the other genre

• 6,242 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 03:00 PM

I haven't read it yet, but I received as a christmas present a copy of   "The WPA Guide To New York City", a 1992 reprint of a 1939 volume , over 600 pages of detail about the city. Oh yes, and happy St Barbara's day everybody !

Great books.  Over the years I I have managed to get New York, Los Angeles and San Francisco.   NY and LA are newer reprints but my SF copy is an original complete with penciled in notes from some one visiting the city in the way back.  Fairly hard to read due to being old pencil and cursive. 

To Assume, To make an A$$ out of U and Me.

No I didn't deliberately make a moronic statement designed to start a flame war. I'm just BBS Challenged.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." ~John Wayne

#162 Kharis2000

Kharis2000

Disbelieving Author

• 259 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 07:22 AM

Working my way through 'When the Death Bat Flies' by Norvell Page. Best known for authoring the Spider pulp stories, Page turned out a lot of mystery stories as well. This is a collection of Page's detective stories from DETECTIVE TALES, THE SPIDER, DETECTIVE FICTION WEEKLY and STRANGE DETECTIVE MYSTERIES.

Rob Hudson

#163 st barbara

st barbara

Millennial Master

• 3,294 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 03:04 PM

Working my way through 'When the Death Bat Flies' by Norvell Page. Best known for authoring the Spider pulp stories, Page turned out a lot of mystery stories as well. This is a collection of Page's detective stories from DETECTIVE TALES, THE SPIDER, DETECTIVE FICTION WEEKLY and STRANGE DETECTIVE MYSTERIES.

Page, like a lot of his contemporaries, (e g Howard, Brackett) worked in a lot of genres, including fantasy in Page's case.

#164 Lucius

Lucius

Too Many To List Now!

• 14,748 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 10:38 PM

I haven't been reading pulp, but I have been looking at pulp covers....

https://pulpcovers.c...crifice/page/6/

And just had to share this gem of description:

"Yes, the evil cult leader is spray painting the chained girl gold. No, I don't know why."

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary might hazard a guess

• tkdguy likes this

#165 ArmlessTigerMan

ArmlessTigerMan

Skilled Normal

• 52 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 01:45 AM

Not 'reading' per say, but I've been working my way through Clark Ashton Smith's oeuvre in audio form on youtube.  Some of the narrators are better than others, but you can't beat the price.  Some examples:

https://www.youtube....h?v=RdGscVDaxZk

https://www.youtube....h?v=obbgTkWgGbM

To get the most out of his stuff, you'd probably want to google the contents of his different story collections (Zothique, Hyperborea, ...) and organize your listening that way.

Also lots of REH on youtube as well, but haven't gotten around to those just yet.

• tkdguy likes this
With great powers come great psychological limitations.

#166 st barbara

st barbara

Millennial Master

• 3,294 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 08:19 PM

I haven't been reading pulp, but I have been looking at pulp covers....

https://pulpcovers.c...crifice/page/6/

And just had to share this gem of description:

"Yes, the evil cult leader is spray painting the chained girl gold. No, I don't know why."

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary might hazard a guess

Maybe he is an ancestor of Auric Goldfinger ?

• tkdguy likes this

#167 st barbara

st barbara

Millennial Master

• 3,294 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 05:23 PM

I just got (but, of course haven't read yet)  "Pulp Heroes : Khan Dynasty" by Wayne Reinagel. Looks like a "Doc Savage" pastiche. It also looks like it is book 2 of a series. Damn, i'll have to order book one mow !

#168 st barbara

st barbara

Millennial Master

• 3,294 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 05:02 PM

Apropos of Doc Savage Pastiches I have recently (as in last week) read the collected "Thunder Jim Wade" stories by Henry Kuttner. Kuttner was a good writer and, although it isn't his best work , the stories were still a lot of fun. I particularly loved the "Thunderbug" , the hero"s tank/aircraft/submarine.

#169 zslane

zslane

The Monster From the Clock

• 2,106 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 06:36 PM

I recently started reading Robert E. Howard's Solomon Kane stories.

• Burrito Boy likes this

#170 Kharis2000

Kharis2000

Disbelieving Author

• 259 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 09:28 PM

Finished the second volume of Super Detective Jim Anthony; The Complete Series. The first two stories weren't bad at all, but the third fell a bit flat. A little spicier than the run of the mill story of this type, but hardly a danger to the morals of anyone over the age of, oh, six. One of the stories had, what I thought was going to be a pretty cool artificially-generated undersea methane bubble generator to sink ships, but instead went with the (at the time) more fantastical and 'in' atomic power.  In the last one, it took too long for Jim to figure out how the killer was killing people off, but I'll grant the the idea of an ice knife was a lot newer an idea then. Still not bad stories, although, the last one was, as I said, the weakest.

Starting on the Halcyon Classics' collection of Craig Kennedy: Scientific Detective. Three stories in, it... well, honestly, it's painful. Episode one almost killed the collection for me with the solution being the difference between a Caucasian suspect's 'ape-like qualities of the blood' and a non-white suspect's 'gorilla-like qualities of the blood.' I've accepted that the genre does not share the modern sensibilities regarding race, gender, sexual orientation, or any number of other social issues, but this one ws bad enough that I had to walk away for a week before I was willing to try again. The next two were less awful in the toxic racism sense, but they were, well, sort of average. The Thinking Machine was a better read, as was Max Carrados (witht he exception of the one supernatural-themed episode).

Rob Hudson