Goddess of Luck

Gandalf970

A player of mine wants to make a character who follows the Goddess of Luck.  He was thinking of  pool of say five powers that he can use randomly (he has to roll each time).  I was thinking of Aid, bonus to stealth etc.  Any ideas (power, talent, perk or skill) to add to a Goddess of Luck following rogue would be great. 

For something like this you will probably want to go with things that will almost always be useful instead of those that will be more specialized.  

1)    Overall skill levels.  This is going to be useful no matter what he is doing
2)    Damage Negation 
3)    Summoning (A random person show up and helps him)
4)    Variable Aid to any attack (Expanded weapon master)
5)    Striking Appearance (Bonus to social skills and PRE attacks) 

Indirect Attack - Roof falls in on bad guy attacking him or statue falls over on bad guy

Reflection (any target) - Attack aimed at him accidentally "misses" or bounces off his dagger or armor or something and hits another enemy

Change Environment - Enemy has to roll or slip/trip, etc... because of a banana peel, or oil spill or whatnot.

Instead of just a bonus to stealth, it'd probably work better as skill level to a small group of rogue skills appropriate to the character concept. Like "Gambling, Sleight of Hand,  Forgery" or "Breakfall, Acrobatics, Stealth". If you pick a bonus to just one skill, the player could conceivably go through a number of adventures without ever needing that one skill (which could be frustrating).

If there are 10-15 active points you could try things like (some examples, not recommending this group)

Combat Luck

PRE

Damage Reduction (lucky that wasn't as bad as it could have been)

Missile Deflection (maybe with special effects to make it appear luck is happening to intercept the missile)

Defense Maneuver 

=====

Does the character get to choose when the pool activates? Or does it activate and/or change at random? That's going to make a hell of a lot of difference in how the power plays out and how much of a limitation the randomness is.

If he can just re-roll at will until he gets exactly the power he wants then that power stays with him until he doesn't want it to, many times that's not hugely limiting when he's got set up time available. Consider this setup:

1) Bonus Gambling

2) Bonus Forgery

3) Bonus Sleight of Hand

4) Additional movement power

5) Some combat power

He knows when he's gambling, forging, or going out to pick pockets so he's going to keep the power set on movement or combat all the time. 

Thanks Archer, mallett and Lone Wolf very helpful stuff.

8 hours ago, archer said:

Instead of just a bonus to stealth, it'd probably work better as skill level to a small group of rogue skills appropriate to the character concept. Like "Gambling, Sleight of Hand,  Forgery" or "Breakfall, Acrobatics, Stealth". If you pick a bonus to just one skill, the player could conceivably go through a number of adventures without ever needing that one skill (which could be frustrating).

If there are 10-15 active points you could try things like (some examples, not recommending this group)

Combat Luck

PRE

Damage Reduction (lucky that wasn't as bad as it could have been)

Missile Deflection (maybe with special effects to make it appear luck is happening to intercept the missile)

Defense Maneuver 

=====

Does the character get to choose when the pool activates? Or does it activate and/or change at random? That's going to make a hell of a lot of difference in how the power plays out and how much of a limitation the randomness is.

If he can just re-roll at will until he gets exactly the power he wants then that power stays with him until he doesn't want it to, many times that's not hugely limiting when he's got set up time available. Consider this setup:

1) Bonus Gambling

2) Bonus Forgery

3) Bonus Sleight of Hand

4) Additional movement power

5) Some combat power

He knows when he's gambling, forging, or going out to pick pockets so he's going to keep the power set on movement or combat all the time. 

These are great Archer I will definitely be bringing this to my player.

Here are a few considerations:

Lucky Blow: Combat Skill Levels only to increase damage, Activate on 11-

Uncanny Dodging: Desoldification, only to prevent damage, not vs. Area attacks

Always Find What I'm Looking For: +3 PER rolls

Just Nicked Me: Combat Luck

Not As Bad As It Looks: Damage Negation

Minor Malfunction: Minor Transform - Switch from locked to unlocked, closed to open, cinched to uncinched, sturdy to frayed, etc.

On 7/23/2020 at 2:10 PM, Ockham's Spoon said:

Here are a few considerations:

Lucky Blow: Combat Skill Levels only to increase damage, Activate on 11-

Uncanny Dodging: Desoldification, only to prevent damage, not vs. Area attacks

Always Find What I'm Looking For: +3 PER rolls

Just Nicked Me: Combat Luck

Not As Bad As It Looks: Damage Negation

Minor Malfunction: Minor Transform - Switch from locked to unlocked, closed to open, cinched to uncinched, sturdy to frayed, etc.

Ockham, these are great.   Definitely using these.