RIP Sean Connery

Tom Cowan

Sean Connery was a deeply talented actor who played roles in some of my favorite movies. In addition to being my favorite James Bond, he was great in "Highlander", "The Untouchables", "Indiana Jones and the Lost Crusade", "The Man Would Be King", "The Molly Maguires", "The Rock", "Outland", "DragonHeart", "The Hunt for the Red October". "Time Bandits", and "Robin and Marian". Sean Connery, thanks and rest in peace.

My feelings here are complicated. As an actor he was in some of my favorite movies. As a person he advocated hitting women to keep them in line. Learning this made it hard for me to enjoy his films. I want to go back and watch Highlander, and the Last Crusade, then I think about his support of domestic valence, and the desire fades. Part of me wishes I could separate these two aspects of who Connery was, but even when given a chance to walk back his statements he stuck by them or claimed they were taken out of context. 

RIP Sean Connery, you were the best of the Bonds, and may the abuse you advocated die with you. 

I think it would not be unreasonable to assume his attitudes evolved over the decades since he made those statements. His wife of 45 years had nothing but praise for him after his death: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8901151/Sean-Connerys-widow-Micheline-reveals-final-moments-Bond-star-died-aged-90.html