Help with ability

JmOz

So the character is physically incapable of speech (Can make sound, but is basically unintelligible) 

However via his Radio Transmit powers can communicate.  He wears around his neck a (basically normal) radio that allows him to "talk".  How would you build this

Excellent suggestions, but I think there's a cleaner way to do it.

Use a single Physical Limitation: speaks through Radio Transmission only.  It's a fairly minor Limitation, unless you build his radio transmit to include the Focus Limitation.

It's like Mr. Mind:  Mr. Mind _always_ has his little electronic speaker, no matter what.  It's a device, but it wasn't built as a focus.  If you go that route, it's not even a Physical Limitation; it's just SFX for talking.

1 hour ago, Duke Bushido said:

Excellent suggestions, but I think there's a cleaner way to do it.

Use a single Physical Limitation: speaks through Radio Transmission only.  It's a fairly minor Limitation, unless you build his radio transmit to include the Focus Limitation.

It's like Mr. Mind:  Mr. Mind _always_ has his little electronic speaker, no matter what.  It's a device, but it wasn't built as a focus.  If you go that route, it's not even a Physical Limitation; it's just SFX for talking.

Reminds me of Toy Boy, a idea villain of my creation who is supposed to be a kinda homage to the Superman villain Toyman. He has his face and neck scared by acid (ruining his vocal cords), and has a permanent creepy smile on his face. His mask includes a pull string which allows him to talk while wearing the mask and pulling the string.

3 hours ago, Duke Bushido said:

I agree. I would do the same for The Brain (Doom Patrol/Teen Titans)

4 hours ago, HeroGM said:

Always wondered about that and wheelchairs

So what is the wheelchair question?  We might offer up things for that, too.

First, assuming _no_ campaign guidelines running contrary, it's a non-issue: it's the character's special effects for his normal movement.  The player may (or may not; his call without guidelines stating otherwise) decided that the character can't climb stairs.  He may also decide that the character can't jump, and can't move at all when his hands are full.  But again-- without campaign guidelines stating otherwise, it's his choice.

I ask because I don't know:

I _think_ it's X-men (I'm pretty sure it was X-men, as I remember the movie) that has a guy in a wheelchair.  How many issues of that book go to bed before the wheelchair is a genuine limitation?  How many times has be been in a location that, if you stopped to think about it, was at the top of the stairs or the end of a ladder?  (Seriously: I have no idea; I ask because comics or not, I _am_ familiar with adventure fiction: wheeled robots in the desert; wheeled daleks hanging out in rocky crags, etc)

What is the "reality" or "grim factor" the GM has in mind?  If it's realistic, then we know that folks in wheelchairs need special accommodations to drive, can't use stairs (but the country is filled with ramps, helping to _somewhat_ offset that) or escalators, can't jump, etc.  If we're being hyper-realistic, then one-eyed guys can't catch or throw, and wheelchair guys will need accommodations for toilets, as well as routinely running into doorways through which they can't navigate.  Fortunately, I've never met a GM so anal about his reality that he insisted on roleplaying incidents of toileting, but still, better to ask up front.

What does the GM put "between the panels," or what I recall someone here once referring to as "whitespacing" things?  Toileting, I assume, is a given.  But overall, does the GM envision the typical comic book routine and pacing, where the heroes pile out of the adventure-mobile onto the sidewalk in front of the building and two panels later they are in an office on the 88th floor?  Or does the GM have the seven-hour version of Girl From Ipanema cued up on youtube so he can ambiance the elevator ride?

If there is a lot of whitespacing (I thank you, person whose name I can't remember; I think I'll be using this term more often!) in the GM's world, but the character can somehow just be with everyone else when there's adventure afoot, it's entirely valid to go with the "wheelchair is sfx" and ladders, stairs, or what-have-you are "just dealt with" between panels with no serious interruption of the story, unless the player really wants either 1) coping with wheelchair related problems to be a significant part of his roleplay experience or 2) dem points! ;)   

In that case, that once-every-twenty-issues occurrence of "Blast!  My chair won't let me climb the ladder" for some dramatic purpose (other than slaughter, mind you) is little more than a personalized "I have seized your companion!" and we all know that there's going to be a way out, and it won't happen again for thirty more issues.

That's just a start, mind you, but hopefully it can spur on your imagination to answer the scenarios you envision.

The person in the wheelchair is Professor Charles Xavier (Professor X). He is capable of using telekinesis to move the chair himself. In most stores he is simply sitting there. Sometimes someone wheels him.

They never quite ever have him on top of the stairs without a wheelchair ramp drawn during the early days. Later in the 90s they gave him a Shi'ar hoverchair, but he of course never uses it outside the mansion unless on a mission.

Also, Professor X rairly goes into missions himself he is quite capable of doing stuff for a mission sitting down at home using his telepathy powers. Later on they gave him a 'semi-cilvilan' wheelchair made entirely out of plastic.

I can imagine Professor X tking himself into and out of the chair. Or tking himself into or out of the bathroom. I'm sure if he really needed help he'll get Forget-Me-Not to do it, so there is no record of it.

Just telepathy and he's the big one I was thinking of. I thought about selling back the running and buying a small amount with oaf wheelchair. Then on just physical disability. 

Depends on how crunchy you want to get it all. 

-----

Oh and this is just me. I like the modern stuff, don't get me wrong. Anything in X-Men after Claremont/Byrne is just fan-fiction.